Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how far does a person need to travel to be considered a "Tourist" ?

^^^^^
I’ve traversed Montana many times myself, going back more than half a century. My wife and I honeymooned there. We’ve considered moving there, even, but acknowledge that those are mostly romantic notions.

There are now 8 billion people on the planet. That’s right about triple what it was when I first drew breath. Those 8 billion people gotta live somewhere, and those 8 billion mouths have to be fed.

Montana is sparsely populated. Deer and antelope still play. It doesn’t appear all that different to me now than it did when I first laid eyes on it. But I acknowledge that mine aren’t Montana eyes. I’d imagine the changes are obvious to lifelong Montanans, just as through my eyes Seattle isn’t at all the same place it was when I moved there in 1968. The graveyard behind the church where my father is buried, in Wisconsin, was way out in the country when I was a kid. Not anymore.

I have no profound point here. Things change. How those changes appear depends on whose eyes are appraising them.

Last edited:

FanNan

New in Town
It's true that our perception of a place can change over time, especially as the world around us evolves. As for your question about how far someone needs to travel to be considered a "tourist," I think it's more about the mindset than the distance. Whether you're exploring a new country or just visiting a town a few hours away, if you're there to experience something different and immerse yourself in the culture, you're a tourist in my book. If you're into exploring new places, I recently came across this awesome guide for Thailand that might pique your interest: https://thaitriplover.com/thailand-itineraries. It's full of tips and ideas for making the most of your trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner