Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats do you have?

I have had too much time on my hands. It makes me dig through the "hat room" and ponder various hats. Do I have too many? I don't think so. But...

Thinning the herd from time to time keeps the juices flowing. I have had a real dry spell on new hats coming into my life. Kind of sad times. Sell some to get some more, story of my life I guess.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Even if you still wear Brylcream hats are unlikely to leak oil all over your closet.
I've never seen a pile of kitty litter under a derby.
Oi! Who are you calling a pile of kitty litter?
cat & hat.jpg

As the saying goes: there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Same with hats: there's no such thing as too many hats, just shortage of storage space!
Although I think I may have reached max personal capacity. I guess I am easily confused but now I have so many hats, even after paring down the fringe ones I liked owning but did not wear, that I spend time contemplating which one to wear. Somedays I have trouble deciding and change my mind multiple times. I am beginning to think I have overly complicated my life. It sure was fun in the doing but now the reality is setting in.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Although I think I may have reached max personal capacity. I guess I am easily confused but now I have so many hats, even after paring down the fringe ones I liked owning but did not wear, that I spend time contemplating which one to wear. Somedays I have trouble deciding and change my mind multiple times. I am beginning to think I have overly complicated my life. It sure was fun in the doing but now the reality is setting in.
Yeah....this^^^

In the last two weeks, I’ve listed over thirty hats on eBay and another few here in the classifieds. If a hat didn’t fill a certain niche, or if it hadn’t been out of its box for a year, I put it on the block. I’m also getting rid of the hats that don’t fit me that I bought just to experience them, and lower quality hats that I bought just because they were my size. I figure I have another 30-50 to go before I’m where I want to be.

Somehow, without intending, I became a collector rather than an enthusiast with a good selection of hats to wear. Nothing wrong with being a collector, but it’s not what I personally want. I’m still looking for more hats that are different from what I already have, and can see getting to Bill’s spot where it’s buy-a-hat-sell-a-hat. Heck, I have seven custom hats currently in various hatters queues, so I’m not out of the game...just revising my strategy.

In the last two weeks, I’ve listed over thirty hats on eBay and another few here in the classifieds. If a hat didn’t fill a certain niche, or if it hadn’t been out of its box for a year, I put it on the block. I’m also getting rid of the hats that don’t fit me that I bought just to experience them, and lower quality hats that I bought just because they were my size. I figure I have another 30-50 to go before I’m where I want to be.

Somehow, without intending, I became a collector rather than an enthusiast with a good selection of hats to wear. Nothing wrong with being a collector, but it’s not what I personally want. I’m still looking for more hats that are different from what I already have, and can see getting to Bill’s spot where it’s buy-a-hat-sell-a-hat. Heck, I have seven custom hats currently in various hatters queues, so I’m not out of the game...just revising my strategy.
I travelled a similar route with my mountain bikes...somehow it spiralled out of control and I ended up with 28 of them....had trouble getting the car into my double garage. Even when I rode everyday could not ride them all and a goodly number became 'garage queens' condemned to being mounted on a wall to be admired and not ridden. I have now paired it down to 10...a much more manageable number with 3 of them up for sale. The good news is the sale of the bikes underwrote most of the hat purchases. I may have to do that with my hats but every time I attempt to separate them into 'keep' and 'sell' piles I give up and walk away.....and I only have about 50 in total.

markhassler

Familiar Face
I have had too much time on my hands. It makes me dig through the "hat room" and ponder various hats. Do I have too many? I don't think so. But...

Thinning the herd from time to time keeps the juices flowing. I have had a real dry spell on new hats coming into my life. Kind of sad times. Sell some to get some more, story of my life I guess.

markhassler

Familiar Face
Check out my post tomorrow...I'll be giving a tease for all the hats I'll be listing Sunday..gonna be upwards of 40 vintage unworn hats...and I do mean vintage....see you then,we'll fix that itch you can't scatch...Mark.

Yahoody

One Too Many
I figure I have too many hats. That is OK because my hording is almost under control if you don't count birthday buying sprees. :confused: I have been chastised for that opinion (too many hats) here on the forum by a fellow member. Fess up guys, how many hats do you have stashed away in the closet, garage and storage unit?

Lets have a head count?! How many? I am wwwwaaaaayyyy past the 12 shown :D I have a problem. First step to freedom is admitting there is problem o_O

IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

Last edited:
I am currently just under 50 hats....felts and 6 straws. Topped out at about 60 I think but have sold a few off. I would own more but space is an issue and at 50, all stored in hat boxes, storage is absolutely maxed out. This include 24 of them stacked in the guest bedroom which I move when our regular guests arrive. One of the upsides of the Covid is the guests have not been here in 7 months now.

Another limit to the collection is that I have at least one of every Winchester colour, at least one of every style I want, so when if comes to ordering I am at a loss deciding just what to order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko