Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many is too many

Phobic

New in Town
I've begun getting grief from my friends and family about the number of hats I own. And I've also realized that end is still a ways away before I feel I have "enough" hats. I figured I'd come here and see how you folk deal this problem, and also see what the lounge considers to be "enough" hats.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
John D. Rockefeller, when asked how much money was enough, said, "Just a little bit more."

Just a few more hats...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Phobic, If you can figure out the answer to that question, You most likely will be able to find a cure for cancer with ease;) Other than that when you've sold everything you own and are willing to sell your family into slavery for one more hat, you probobly have too many.

EricH

One of the Regulars
I'll get philosophical here and say you will likely never have "enough" hats. Enough is a quantity and if you are buying hats for quantity well, you're not likely a hat guy. We buy our hats for the pleasure of the hunt, the differences of the styles, and the satisfaction of a good felt on a cool Fall day. When its no longer fun or you see nothing you like anymore, you probably have enough. Or, maybe you have enough when you begin to buy hats that you forgot you already owned. If people ask you when you'll have enough hats, I'd say I'll have enough hats when I've had enough good times, enough good meals, and enough good days. And when I've had all that with enough good friends I'll be glad I had enough hats for each one. Eric

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Enough? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

That's the poser. Until a coupla weeks ago I thought I would have been approaching the answer, with the beaver colony pushing 100. Then I sold 3 dozen, so now I'm even further from finding out. But I'll keep looking and let you know.

Phobic

New in Town
Very nice sentiment EricH I may have to steal that.

I use the shoe thing to get by a few people. Namely my roommate, he has twelve pairs if chucks alone. But for some reason people are more accepting of copious amounts of shoes, which makes no sense, bacause there's really twice as many of them.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Enough

EricH
If people ask you when you'll have enough hats, I'd say I'll have enough hats when I've had enough good times, enough good meals, and enough good days. And when I've had all that with enough good friends I'll be glad I had enough hats for each one. Eric

That is the answer of all...!!!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
When I finally got the kinds of fedoras I wanted from some of our custom hat makers, I found that I stopped looking for fedoras -- although I still get tempted when some of you folks show off your new Art Fawcett specials (I have a gorgeous fedora from him).

I still buy a cowboy hat here and there, and recently purchased an Akubra western style hat that I found on Ebay. It is a royal blue color and looked cool. It is on its way as I write this.

I have probably given away or sold more hats then I know, and stored a good many in San Diego, but still have a dozen or so in my closet, plus a half-dozen caps.

My mother thinks I'm insane. "Tip of the iceburg," I tell her.

karol

Mike H

New in Town
Here's a simple formula that you can use.

Where:
X = the number of hats you own
Y = the number of hats you need

X+1=Y

mingoslim

Practically Family
How Many Is Too Many . . .

I seem to be in the minority here . . . but I usually only have between 5 or 6 hats at a time . . . I keep them in kind of a rotation. When I get a new one, I retire one and let me wife sell it on eBay . . . I would like to own 50 hats, but just can't justify it . . . Either form the point of view of space, or $$$.

And yes, I have sold some in the past which I am now sorry I let go; but that is OK . . . It just means I have another hat to look for, and after all, that is part of the fun.

RedPop4

One Too Many
mingoslim said:
I seem to be in the minority here . . . but I usually only have between 5 or 6 hats at a time . . . I keep them in kind of a rotation. When I get a new one, I retire one and let me wife sell it on eBay . . . I would like to own 50 hats, but just can't justify it . . . Either form the point of view of space, or $$$.

And yes, I have sold some in the past which I am now sorry I let go; but that is OK . . . It just means I have another hat to look for, and after all, that is part of the fun.
Excellent, Mingo. I agree. I'd like to get that rotation to all fur felts and pass the wools down to my sons permanently.

Hat numerology!

I figure the formula should be something like:

The number of specific styles of hat I like = S
The number of quality levels I would want to have in a hat = Q
The number of situations I would have to wear a hat = W
The number of color combinations I would want in a hat = C

S X Q X W X C = SQWC as the total number of hats I want.
(Which also seems to come close to sounding like sasquatch.)

I inherited one and bought 8 fedoras, gave two away.
So far I'm falling way short of what ever the true number is.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I think that you know you've reached too many when your spousal unit takes away the credit/debit card!!! I think I'm very close to that point myself, at least until I can find work. I got away with buying a hat yesterday because I was able to tell her it is for my brother-in-law, who has voiced a bit of an interest in hats that I'd like to encourage. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran