Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

I'd be willing to bet a two dollar bill our watch lists are 99% the same. LOL!! Nice one man...is it a Cal? Can't be sure without seeing inside the sleeve cuff.

Yes. I bet it would be 99.99876%.

It has the lined cuffs/wrist warmers and the other CL tell tale signs. I went back and forth with seller as he, with jacket in hand, answered my questions. One of my questions was about the inside of the cuffs. Seller seemed like a cool dude. Fingers crossed.

Yes. I bet it would be 99.99876%.

It has the lined cuffs/wrist warmers and the other CL tell tale signs. I went back and forth with seller as he, with jacket in hand, answered my questions. One of my questions was about the inside of the cuffs. Seller seemed like a cool dude. Fingers crossed.
It's a beauty man. The brown mouton collar is the cherry on top.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
This Thedi test jacket showed up today from Thurston Bros. If the sleeves were shorter I'd be keeping it and not ordering one with shorter sleeves.

As soon as I slipped it on it instantly felt right. I can't really say that about any other jacket I have tried. It fits like a glove in the body and feels perfect in the upper sleeves also. Just the sleeve length needs to be about 3/4" shorter. I think I may order in black though, with light coloured buttons.

Colin, that's nice jacket. But both jacket length & sleeve length look excessively long to my taste. Marmalademan explained well the main idea of correct fit for this pattern and I think he's absolutely right. The jacket also looks a bit too roomy from the back around torso and in shoulders & armpits area, so going almost a size down would be smart decision in this case.

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
Agreed. I believe you could loose an inch in length and still have your belt well covered while improving on the proportions of the jacket. The most important thing though is that you feel comfortable in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried on the Windward last Summer and found it to be quite comfortable, just not long enough. I also liked the elastic side cinch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah the sleeves are a touch short on me, length is shortish but not too short.

Colin G

One Too Many
Colin, that's nice jacket. But both jacket length & sleeve length look excessively long to my taste. Marmalademan explained well the main idea of correct fit for this pattern and I think he's absolutely right. The jacket also looks a bit too roomy from the back around torso and in shoulders & armpits area, so going almost a size down would be smart decision in this case.

Lebowski, I am %100 fine with the length. There are no rules to this as far as I am concerned. You mentioned the jacket is too long for your tastes but we are not talking about yours or Marmalademan's tastes.

As for the shoulders, there is no way that jacket is too wide up there. I measure at just under an 18" shoulder width and that jacket fits snug in the shoulders, as it also measures at an 18" width.

There is no way I could size down in this jacket. I would never fit into a size small Thedi which is the next step down in size, since these jackets run at small, medium or large. They are not sized by chest so there are only 3 size options.

For sure sleeves need to be shortened but I am leaving the body length as is. There is nothing worse than a short jacket getting hung up on my belt, especially if it is something not very forgiving like leather.

I guess the jacket is too long for these guys as well since it looks to be a similar fit and actually, it fits slightly shorter on me than these two. Pics are random found on the internet.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is no "correct" fit. Rather, there are only desired/preferred fits. It the jacket fits as desired by the owner, it is a good fit. If not, it is a bad fit, regardless of what anyone else thinks is desirable or preferable.

IMHO, people should stop speaking in terms of what is "correct," and thereby imply that their subjective desired/preferred fit is somehow an irrefutable truism that resigns supreme over someone else's desired/preferred fit. On the issue of fit, we only have subjective opinions based on personal preference, and no one's subjective personal preference is any better, superior or valid.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 138396 Put in a low offer on a vintage CL cross zip police jacket that comes with brown mouton collar and large duty belt. It was just accepted. Looks to be in very good condition. This is my second swing at this jacket, hopefully it ends better than the first. Measurements look spot on for me.

My LW should be arriving in the coming weeks too. Then I am done haha.

Pic from eBay
JMax:
About the nicest looking Cal i have ever seen!!
That earlier try was just a warm up for the real deal!!
That be this one!
Perfect!!
Bowen

JMax:
About the nicest looking Cal i have ever seen!!
That earlier try was just a warm up for the real deal!!
That be this one!
Perfect!!
Bowen

It’s got some typical wear at the typical spots but I just hope it doesn’t smell like the last one. As if it were dug up, taken off a corpse and immediately put on eBay.

There is no "correct" fit. Rather, there are only desired/preferred fits. It the jacket fits as desired by the owner, it is a good fit. If not, it is a bad fit, regardless of what anyone else thinks is desirable or preferable.

IMHO, people should stop speaking in terms of what is "correct," and thereby imply that their subjective desired/preferred fit is somehow an irrefutable truism that resigns supreme over someone else's desired/preferred fit. On the issue of fit, we only have subjective opinions based on personal preference, and no one's subjective personal preference is any better, superior or valid.

Hear Hear..!!!! ;)

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Lebowski, I am %100 fine with the length. There are no rules to this as far as I am concerned. You mentioned the jacket is too long for your tastes but we are not talking about yours or Marmalademan's tastes.

As for the shoulders, there is no way that jacket is too wide up there. I measure at just under an 18" shoulder width and that jacket fits snug in the shoulders, as it also measures at an 18" width.

There is no way I could size down in this jacket. I would never fit into a size small Thedi which is the next step down in size, since these jackets run at small, medium or large. They are not sized by chest so there are only 3 size options.

For sure sleeves need to be shortened but I am leaving the body length as is. There is nothing worse than a short jacket getting hung up on my belt, especially if it is something not very forgiving like leather.

I guess the jacket is too long for these guys as well since it looks to be a similar fit and actually, it fits slightly shorter on me than these two. Pics are random found on the internet.

It's up to you Sir, of course. Most important if you like it.
@handymike's jacket fits him nice on your photo above, you're right!)
(the sleeves are slightly too long over there too, though it might be useful for motorbike's riding)
It's just my humble opinion, yours may differ and that's O'k.

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Standard & Strange got in the ELMC Californian so I dropped by to try it on. I think the 46 fit me pretty well however, I would probably prefer the 46 long.
c6ccbfbc63adfc8e4421c46af305ff0f.jpg

48fc1edbdba8dccf1f26d942c2a96417.jpg

I didn’t like the photos I saw online of the Havana but, in person I liked it very much.
Of course I really don’t “need” this jacket!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Had a great time looking at lots of jackets and boots, and talking shop with a guy named Henry (I think). To me the sleeves on the Californian are good, but I suspect that they might shorten as the arms crease. Tried on the Windward again and noticed the sleeves on the 46 were 1/2 inch shorter than the Californian. One of the owners Neil was unable to order a 46 long from Eastman.
ea5851f439e0659cf4785ddd335066a8.jpg

b84910ec41d52fdec0baba34070dd1b7.jpg

I did learn that Neil is in Japan right now and may be able to order larger size jackets from RMC.
cool shop!

Colin G

One Too Many
Colin G
Yes sir the sleeves are indeed too long and I agree everything else looks great IMHO. When I have a custom jacket made ( and pay those prices ) I want it long enough to be able to wear with most all of my pants/jeans. That certainly looks much better than riding above the belt. I don't care to wear 'high waisted pants so could care less about how it is ' supposed to be '. A little off the sleeves and you have a winner.
HD

Thanks HD.

I don't wear a high waist pant either. I live in blue jeans.

Order has been placed and some length is being knocked off the sleeves to accommodate my stubby, little arms.

Colin G

One Too Many
It's up to you Sir, of course. Most important if you like it.
@handymike's jacket fits him nice on your photo above, you're right!)
(the sleeves are slightly too long over there too, though it might be useful for motorbike's riding)
It's just my humble opinion, yours may differ and that's O'k.

It is all good Lebowski and differing opinions are definitely OK. If we all did the same thing, life would be pretty boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran