Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Gamma68

One Too Many
This brown Langlitz Cascade (dated 1983) came today via the FL classifieds. How's the fit? It's super comfortable right out of the box at the shoulders, chest, sleeves. But it's awfully tight at the waist, which is most visible from the back. I'm wearing a thinner belt with a low profile buckle and just a long-sleeve t-shirt.

No, I don't ride. But I do like to wear my CRs zipped sometimes.

People speak of jackets that mold to one's body over time. Is there such a thing as jackets adapting to one's waist size over time (giving a little)?

IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG IMG_2948.jpg

Wallman

New in Town
Really starting to get the cravings for another Aero jacket.. Something in black... Currently drooling at the thought of an Indian Ranger in CXL FQHH or Steerhide, with a small alteration to the ticket pocket, swapping it for the pocket style of the Motorcycle Jacket.

Or a modified Café Racer - into a cross-zipped jacket. Thinking that would get me the best fit for my body type, but with that cross-zip style that I yearn for:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
This brown Langlitz Cascade (dated 1983) came today via the FL classifieds. How's the fit? It's super comfortable right out of the box at the shoulders, chest, sleeves. But it's awfully tight at the waist, which is most visible from the back. I'm wearing a thinner belt with a low profile buckle and just a long-sleeve t-shirt.

No, I don't ride. But I do like to wear my CRs zipped sometimes.

People speak of jackets that mold to one's body over time. Is there such a thing as jackets adapting to one's waist size over time (giving a little)?

View attachment 143908 View attachment 143909 View attachment 143910 View attachment 143911 View attachment 143912 View attachment 143914

Looks great, just go Hugh Jackman style and don't try to zip it up. :D I don't think it's going to give much in the waist, Langlitz leather is too strong for that. A jacket like that is a good motivation to stay in shape!

Gamma68

One Too Many
Looks great, just go Hugh Jackman style and don't try to zip it up. :D I don't think it's going to give much in the waist, Langlitz leather is too strong for that. A jacket like that is a good motivation to stay in shape!

Yes, good motivation to avoid gaining weight. My bone structure won’t shrink though. If I could somehow get about 1” more out of this jacket at the waist, it would be more comfortable. Perfect, even.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gamma68,
I tried to stretch a medium weight cowhide Langlitz jacket by wearing it with a couple wool vests and a sweater on underneath. I found that although this might have stretched it a wee bit, the jacket was still too tight for me.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Soak it first. Soak it and then wear it while it's damp, done up over the top of a couple of bulky sweatshirts. It'll be a bit horrible while it does, but it should dry with a little more room for you.

Keep wearing it until it dries out. You can always wash the sweatshirts afterwards.

Thanks for this advice. I had thought of trying the water soak treatment. Maybe I’ll try soaking the waist alone and wearing it over some thick sweatshirts because I like the fit everywhere else.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Some initial success. I took a spray bottle and soaked down the lower third of my Cascade, then wore it over a t-shirt, flannel shirt and sweatshirt. Added my thickest leather belt. Wore it wet for about 8 hours. It's about 90% dry.

Measured the waist and it has expanded from 17.5" pre-soak to 19.25". Much more comfortable at the waist now.

My hope is that it won't retract with that final bit of drying to 17.5" :eek:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Some initial success. I took a spray bottle and soaked down the lower third of my Cascade, then wore it over a t-shirt, flannel shirt and sweatshirt. Added my thickest leather belt. Wore it wet for about 8 hours. It's about 90% dry.

Measured the waist and it has expanded from 17.5" pre-soak to 19.25". Much more comfortable at the waist now.

My hope is that it won't retract with that final bit of drying to 17.5" :eek:
17.5 to 19.25”...impressive Gamma!!
Makes me wonder if i can get 1” out of sleeves??

As it's drying, stuff some full bottles in the sleeves to give some weight. I tried mine on quite a few times during the process to tug on the sleeves. Then back on the hanger with the bottles...repeat...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^super idea Mike!! I’ll wear it wet then finish dry it with some full bottles. Maybe there’s hope for the Trevor. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks man.
Bowen

Gamma68

One Too Many
becareful with stitched hem, even when the leather can expand, the thread not so much unless it is designed to stretch like on t-shirt.
Yes, good point. I will take a careful look at the stitching tomorrow when the jacket is 100% dry. I’ll also measure again to see if the jacket hem maintains its width.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I'm very pleased to report that after a soak, stretch and dry routine, the waist width on my Cascade increased from 17.5" to 19". I see no problems with the hem stitching.

Before and after pics below. You *may* be able to see a little expansion from the back. It's subtle visually, but the fit is much more comfortable now. Unqualified success.

BEFORE
136677-0fcd0847cd4be6d9d3d3546594ea2c0c.jpg
136678-b167d363e4758e33ffe88c0e3f466d0c.jpg

AFTER
IMG_2976.JPG IMG_2977.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana