Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Ralph L. cross zip arrived today. It's the ultimate in on the fence. I'll post pics tomorrow. There are features I love and hate about it. Beautiful color. Really the best feature. Leather is utterly meh itself. Fit...I'll let y'all be the judge. Ultimately, it's a poor man's Bootlegger, a jacket which I'm suddenly feeling the urge to order again, for the 18th time.

Hh121

Banned
Ralph L. cross zip arrived today. It's the ultimate in on the fence. I'll post pics tomorrow. There are features I love and hate about it. Beautiful color. Really the best feature. Leather is utterly meh itself. Fit...I'll let y'all be the judge. Ultimately, it's a poor man's Bootlegger, a jacket which I'm suddenly feeling the urge to order again, for the 18th time.

2445590375b2bf535687e1816ba05ccc.jpg

rosscoinc1

Familiar Face
There is no "correct" fit. Rather, there are only desired/preferred fits. It the jacket fits as desired by the owner, it is a good fit. If not, it is a bad fit, regardless of what anyone else thinks is desirable or preferable.

IMHO, people should stop speaking in terms of what is "correct," and thereby imply that their subjective desired/preferred fit is somehow an irrefutable truism that resigns supreme over someone else's desired/preferred fit. On the issue of fit, we only have subjective opinions based on personal preference, and no one's subjective personal preference is any better, superior or valid.
Amen brother...

rosscoinc1

Familiar Face
Had a great time looking at lots of jackets and boots, and talking shop with a guy named Henry (I think). To me the sleeves on the Californian are good, but I suspect that they might shorten as the arms crease. Tried on the Windward again and noticed the sleeves on the 46 were 1/2 inch shorter than the Californian. One of the owners Neil was unable to order a 46 long from Eastman.
ea5851f439e0659cf4785ddd335066a8.jpg

b84910ec41d52fdec0baba34070dd1b7.jpg

I did learn that Neil is in Japan right now and may be able to order larger size jackets from RMC.
cool shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love Standard & Strange. Wish I could go there in person...

The brown CL LAPD came in and it is a beauty. Perfect condition and it looks like it was hardly worn. The brown is dark, almost black in certain lighting, and a welcome addition to my lighter brown jackets, notably the LW and Bates. That said, the drop in circumference when measured at the chest (23.5") and at the waist (around 17) is rather sharp. It's good now and as form fitting as I like, especially for riding jackets, but if I gain 5 to 10 pounds its game over. I suspect that there will be times that the jacket fits great and others that it sits in the closet as I work to lose the weight gained from overindulging in calories, which I do enjoy from time to time. I have other jackets to hold me over. No pics as I had to get back to work but sometime soon.

Gamma68

One Too Many
So my new Schott 613SH arrived today (purchased via the Black Friday Sale). I rushed to the door when the FedEx truck rolled up. I carefully opened the box, quickly slipped it out of the plastic bag and off the enclosed hanger, and unbuckled the belt to try it on. You'd think Santa had just delivered Ralphy's Red Ryder BB gun.

Unfortunately, the jacket is too big. I'm used to close-fitting jackets at this point, but this is not a close fit. The jacket rides up when I sit down. Even the sleeves feel silly long.

I used Schott's online size chart and punched in my measurements, height/weight, etc. and it somehow came up with size 42. This seemed odd but I ordered a 42 anyway despite my gut telling me otherwise. I'll exchange it for a 40 or 38 and have already requested size spec charts from Schott so I can get it right.

No fit pics because there's no point. But my initial impressions are: the leather is definitely on the thinner, fashion side of leather jackets (as expected--this is not a riding jacket). The horsehide has the appearance of plastic or vinyl and is very smooth and without character (as expected) but behind the right shoulder there is a hint of how it would appear with some breaking in. The leather is a little rigid but I wouldn't call it stiff. The zips and snaps are all rather bright (I'm used to patina on my older jackets). The combo of shiny new zips/snaps and plastic-y leather make the jacket look cheap, but I know this is only because it's brand spanking new. The quilted lining seems thin. I think Schott could raise the bar on this. I hoped the lining would be thicker for wear in colder temps (20-40 degrees F). Some layering would likely be in order for comfortable wear in those conditions.

Overall, I think it's a nice product and I look forward to receiving one in the right size and breaking it in.

Some pics for folks who might be interested in this model:

IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
So my new Schott 613SH arrived today (purchased via the Black Friday Sale). I rushed to the door when the FedEx truck rolled up. I carefully opened the box, quickly slipped it out of the plastic bag and off the enclosed hanger, and unbuckled the belt to try it on. You'd think Santa had just delivered Ralphy's Red Ryder BB gun.

Unfortunately, the jacket is too big. I'm used to close-fitting jackets at this point, but this is not a close fit. The jacket rides up when I sit down. Even the sleeves feel silly long.

I used Schott's online size chart and punched in my measurements, height/weight, etc. and it somehow came up with size 42. This seemed odd but I ordered a 42 anyway despite my gut telling me otherwise. I'll exchange it for a 40 or 38 and have already requested size spec charts from Schott so I can get it right.

No fit pics because there's no point. But my initial impressions are: the leather is definitely on the thinner, fashion side of leather jackets (as expected--this is not a riding jacket). The horsehide has the appearance of plastic or vinyl and is very smooth and without character (as expected) but behind the right shoulder there is a hint of how it would appear with some breaking in. The leather is a little rigid but I wouldn't call it stiff. The zips and snaps are all rather bright (I'm used to patina on my older jackets). The combo of shiny new zips/snaps and plastic-y leather make the jacket look cheap, but I know this is only because it's brand spanking new. The quilted lining seems thin. I think Schott could raise the bar on this. I hoped the lining would be thicker for wear in colder temps (20-40 degrees F). Some layering would likely be in order for comfortable wear in those conditions.

Overall, I think it's a nice product and I look forward to receiving one in the right size and breaking it in.

View attachment 146284 View attachment 146285 View attachment 146286
You’re spot on in this review. It’s their heavy premier hide. But like I mentioned before not actually heavy. Compared to LW or Vanson it’s lightwieght. The shiny vinyl appearance and shiny hardware though are what make it in the end. When you get your size just stick with it the aging is something to behold. It’s winter now not sure where you live might not be leather weather. But wear it as often as you can when you can. After maybe 2 months it will look beautiful. It’s not armor and I wouldn’t wear it on a bike. But if you’re after patina and creasing you can’t go wrong with this

Hh121

Banned

Still a very very nice leather despite the thickness.

roadking04

Practically Family
That is how my 618 was at first. DannyK is right, It wont take very long to start looking better. Hope the new one fits you better. Cant wait to see it start to break in. I also think a Schott hh will take more damage than we think. I think it would easily survive your garden variety bar fight or mosh pit.

rosscoinc1

Familiar Face
Johnson’s Leathers Corp. Custom Cross Zip

I drove across the bridge and picked up my first custom leather jacket today and could not be happier. I visited JL last August just to get some hangers and ended up ordering an M-500 in 2 ½ -3 oz. naked cowhide. I put in side tabs from the M-200 instead of side lacing, and took the zippers out of the slash pockets. It has YKK antique brass zips. #10 main zip and #5 sleeve and chest pocket zips, as well as antique brass snaps. I replaced the quilted lining with cotton and used satin in the sleeves. The jacket weighs about 4 lbs.

I came armed with exact body measurements, as well as exact specifications from the many jackets that I had at the time. Alan put me in a 44 off the rack that was way too big for me, pulled at it in a few places and made his recommendations. I asked for a little longer than may be traditional, and also asked that there be some room for layering in colder weather. He took the biceps in a bit and eyeballed the jacket on me with his 30 +- years of experience and came up with a great fit that is just what I wanted!

The leather is very soft and pliable requiring no break in, yet seems fairly strong and relatively thick. It shows nice pebbling, does not have tons of texture or grain, but is very comfortable. The cut is long and loose as requested, and has quite a lot of flexibility due to the shoulder gussets. The three outside pockets are all fairly large and have leather pouches, and one inside unzipped pocket is fairly large as well.

Alan and JL do a great job, and offer a very high quality product. Alan pointed out with pride that in celebration of their 50th anniversary they had put in the original Johnson Leather tag that they had not used in 30 years. They have a reason to be proud and celebrate 50 years of excellence.

Brovo JL!
07b4e8a1673be180c11b8f3f5d681118.jpg

b5796cdefdff49f8cf9581d6ca715366.jpg

c68cd58102087db392a89de9afa1de5e.jpg

848def7c1e4dd2304362bbf3074b51aa.jpg

a4ac53dd85a6afe6d41b98b926ce54c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice...I like that jacket a lot!!!

My first impression was literally identical. Word for word, could've been my post.

After a month of wear, you just might find it the nicest jacket you own.

Colin G

One Too Many
I also think a Schott hh will take more damage than we think. I think it would easily survive your garden variety bar fight or mosh pit.

I had a Schott 689H in HH for 13 years and it was tough as nails. It survived scratches, falls, drunken nights and brick wall abrasions just fine. I wore it as a winter jacket in down to -30C weather also with nary a problem. Held up fine in wet spring blizzards also and did well while out pushing the snow blower around too. No problems here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot