Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I always thought VAT was equivalent to US customs.. if it isn’t isn’t, then no I haven’t paid VAT when buying from Aero

VAT is similar to sales tax in the US.
Basically when selling to the US aero should remove 20% of the website prices.
If you have paid website prices you were charged VAT without your knowledge.
Whether the US customs stop the parcel and taxes you on it is an unrelated matter.

Psant25

One Too Many
I dont think they deduct anything. I paid website listed prices plus shipping for a few custom jackets i got from aero. Plus customs here. Pretty sure that is the norm

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
VAT is similar to sales tax in the US.
Basically when selling to the US aero should remove 20% of the website prices.
If you have paid website prices you were charged VAT without your knowledge.
Whether the US customs stop the parcel and taxes you on it is an unrelated matter.

Carlos, thanks for clarifying..

here is a recap from my most recent purchase in October...VAT was removed or not charged.
DBBB3D34-BCD7-44A8-92BD-6DC46F5A14FF.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

here is a recap from my most recent purchase in October...VAT was removed or not charged.
View attachment 299231
I think there is still a misunderstanding with this. AFAIK, Aero's listed price on their website is the final price be it local or international sale i.e. both local customers and international customers pay the same final sum plus shipping.
So Aero's listed price in my view already included the VAT regardless of what the invoice says. To Aero though the price does not include VAT because when they pay the VAT on local sale, they consider that they are paying it out of their own pocket. So I think the sales invoice to a UK customer for the same item as yours would be 525 for the item and 105 for the VAT amounting to the same total of 630. I don't know if the policy has been changed after Brexit.

I just got this on the mail from the classifieds of top TFL fellow Aussie member and all-round nice guy Warren @dinomartino1 , a Chinese copy (Curphey brand) of the Freewhelers Switchyard.
Definitely a good value for money and the fit is just how I like it, slim fit but not too much so I can lightly layer for the mild South Australian winters.
I am definitely not wearing this today, just an early morning trying it on for fit purposes, as it is expected to reach 30C (86 Fahrenheit) today!o_O
The leather smells nice, not chemical at all (it's brand new), the thickness and feel isn't far off from the Vincenzas that I own, the only real noticeable differences with premium makers are the cheaper quality materials in the lining and thread, but overall a well constructed jacket that fits quite well and the medium weight cowhide has good ageing potential and all for a 1/7 of the price of an Aero.
Good alternative when you already have a few (or too many! :confused:) Premium jackets and you just want to try a new style.

View attachment 299222 View attachment 299223 View attachment 299224
Looks great @Fonzie! You will be so stylin’ come cooler weather.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 299231
Here's my invoice from a purchase I made November 2020. VAT was charged.
68956F0A-3528-4712-88CB-AD0305E7BC99.jpeg

Here's what I think. You always pay listed website price, no matter what.
If you live within the UK customs union, that price includes VAT. If you live outside the UK customs union, that price excludes VAT.

I'm guessing that if I order something from Aero today (post brexit), my invoice will exclude VAT but the total sum on the invoice will still be equal to the website price, which means I will have to pay customs fee, VAT and customs handling fee on top of the listed website price. VAT alone will add 21%.

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many

View attachment 299231

If you add VAT to that price , 20%, the price for a UK customer would come out at £804 which doesn’t seem like a meaningful price as they normally are round figures. I think Marc and Blackadder are right.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
All, Thanks for the great explanations above, I’ve never really given VAT much thought. If I thought the jacket was worth the price I paid it.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
If you're in the EU, ordering from UK was, that you paid VAT there.
You then of course didn't have to pay VAT or customs in your country.
Now, it's like an import from Japan or the US, i.e. depending on the price threshold, you have to pay VAT and possibly customs.
Some Japanese shops still charge you VAT, even if you're outside of Japan, some make the accounting effort and don't charge.
Some in Japan, at least a few years ago, even had a service fee, if you ordered from outside of Japan, mostly 5%.

I recently ordered something from a shop in the UK, asking about this.
They were so kind to give me a 20% discount voucher to solve this.

I the near future, either a free trade agreement between UK and EU is decided (Bartender Edit: Careful, now - this was treading into the politics. Please be reminded TFL maintains a ban on discussion of contemporary politics!) or the shop software will be adapted, that if you're outside of the UK, no VAT will be charged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I just got this on the mail from the classifieds of top TFL fellow Aussie member and all-round nice guy Warren @dinomartino1 , a Chinese copy (Curphey brand) of the Freewhelers Switchyard.
Definitely a good value for money and the fit is just how I like it, slim fit but not too much so I can lightly layer for the mild South Australian winters.
I am definitely not wearing this today, just an early morning trying it on for fit purposes, as it is expected to reach 30C (86 Fahrenheit) today!o_O
The leather smells nice, not chemical at all (it's brand new), the thickness and feel isn't far off from the Vincenzas that I own, the only real noticeable differences with premium makers are the cheaper quality materials in the lining and thread, but overall a well constructed jacket that fits quite well and the medium weight cowhide has good ageing potential and all for a 1/7 of the price of an Aero.
Good alternative when you already have a few (or too many! :confused:) Premium jackets and you just want to try a new style.

View attachment 299222 View attachment 299223 View attachment 299224
@Fonzie Congratulations! It looks really nice and well made for that price! I really like this design and also the colour used for it. Fit is perfect!

Blackadder

All, Thanks for the great explanations above, I’ve never really given VAT much thought. If I thought the jacket was worth the price I paid it.
Exactly what Aero is saying and what Aero's customers would be inclined to agree. They think the jacket is worth the listed price so if it is a local sale, they are paying the 20% VAT out if their pockets to cover that. If it is international sale, then they will pocket the whole sum which is what the jacket is "worth".

Blackadder

If you're in the EU, ordering from UK was, that you paid VAT there.
You then of course didn't have to pay VAT or customs in your country.
Now, it's like an import from Japan or the US, i.e. depending on the price threshold, you have to pay VAT and possibly customs.
Some Japanese shops still charge you VAT, even if you're outside of Japan, some make the accounting effort and don't charge.
Some in Japan, at least a few years ago, even had a service fee, if you ordered from outside of Japan, mostly 5%.

I recently ordered something from a shop in the UK, asking about this.
They were so kind to give me a 20% discount voucher to solve this.

I the near future, either a free trade agreement between UK and EU is decided (which would be great- why not allow continued free trade while still allowing countries to have their own choices independent of Brussels; like we can still as EU citizens travel and work to and in Switzerland and Norway and vice versa; no free trade with those, though) or the shop software will be adapted, that if you're outside of the UK, no VAT will be charged.
Yes. Some shops in Japan do not offer tax free shopping to overseas customers. The Japanese sales tax was only 5% which was why there had been sometimes a service fee of 5% back then. That is so they don't have to adjust the listed price (which sometimes included the VAT) for overseas customers. Afterall it was only 5%. Now that it has been raised to 8 then 10%, more and more shops have decided to make the effort.

Logician

One of the Regulars
FYI Canada and Britain have signed an interim trade deal (i.e., The Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement or Canada-UK TCA) that has taken effect on Jan. 1, 2021, the day the U.K. have cut its final ties to the European Union. I have since made purchases (jumpers) in the UK and the VAT was not charged.

Mandarin

Practically Family
I just received a jacket I ordered from SB last december. Because of the holidays, it was shipped after the new year. With brexit being implemented, I was prepared for the worse, expecting custom fees. I was pleasently surprised when the delivery man told me everything was OK. Nothing to pay. After all, maybe the agreement included free trade just like before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider