Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

dannyk

One Too Many
Another reason is that the insurance also just covers the declared value normally. So if it gets lost the sender can only claim back the amount declared. Shops will normally refuse to do that for this reason.

(Also it’s technically illegal to lower the declared value :))
Yeah I’ve worried about the value. But thankfully I’ve never had anything lost on its way to me or anything I’ve ever sent. And at this point that’s a lot. And if I put lower value I do it to a semi reasonable amount. It’s not like I’m going to sell a 1,000 dollar jacket and put like 10 bucks ha.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok I checked what the rules are for exports from UK to EU from 1st of January 2021 (today):

“VAT on exports
As of 1 January 2021, when it comes to exporting goods to EU countries, the VAT situation also changes. Exports to EU countries are treated like those to non-EU countries, which is to say, they should be zero-rated for UK VAT.”

link: https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/customs-and-vat-after-brexit/amp/
I wrote to Holly and asked how Aero is dealing with the consequences of Brexit. Let's see what she answers.
Customs should not apply due to the UK / EU trade agreement, but import sales tax should. If Aero does not offset the VAT, then the price in the EU should remain roughly the same.

Graemsay

Practically Family
The other option would be to order an Aero jacket from a dealer based in the EU. Kentaurus in Cologne is the only one I know of, but I'm sure that there are others.

The Brexit deal was agreed at pretty much the last possible minute, so businesses are going to need some time to adjust.

Blackadder

Those dealers charge a markup of a couple of hundred euro's.
That's why Aero claims that they pay the VAT out of their own pocket on local sale i.e. the website listed price on their website does not (in their mind) include the VAT.

MrProper

That's why Aero claims that they pay the VAT out of their own pocket on local sale i.e. the website listed price on their website does not (in their mind) include the VAT.
Yes, the website prices include VAT. When I buy directly from Aero, I get an invoice with VAT that corresponds to the price on the website. I.e. the prices on the website are gross prices including VAT
C252A8CE-575C-40CF-BCD9-44557C879F5F.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Although you can't substitute an Aero or Eastman for a Thedi in terms of style, in terms of bang for buck Thedi will become the clear winner.

That is if Aero and Eastman don't change their unfair VAT policies. Which I think is unlikely because it will cost them a lot of business.

MrProper

I almost can't imagine Aero stays with this line of reasoning. Because with the trade agreement after Brexit, some EU rules still apply. Strictly speaking, it should also be possible to get the VAT back in other ways, provided this is shown on the invoice. I would definitely not buy another Aero if I was double taxed. Out of principle ;-)
But I'm confident I will get positive news from Aero when the holidays are over.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have another one of Greg’s beauties incoming. Ordered back in October and was hoping for a delivery before Brexit. Hasn’t happened, so I will see how handling and additional costs play out.

No blame on Greg of course, I am rather pleased that he seems to be very busy.
Still, if buying from Britain looses its edge in terms of „no-frills execution“ over the US or even Japan, this will have an effect on a lot of smaller businesses. It surely will effect my personal spending habits.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Agreed, don't mind it if Greg is busy and has plenty of orders. My 1st order remake is still not delivered and also have the j24 order from august on hold. I hope more people get to know him and his business and that FL continues to grow.

@Marc mndt i really like how that black full aniline developed so much character in so little time. The brown full aniline CR has a lot of catching up to do to get to that creasing/folds. it will rain here tomorrow so I'll try to walk with it tomorrow.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Can't wait to see the design / leather choices you've made for your FL jacket. Did you go custom or did you choose one of his regular designs?

How does the blue Shinki age? I love how mine ages. It has become my favorite jacket and it's only getting better.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...thers-idaho-review.101857/page-4#post-2756241

Oh, I went for a slightly modified Café Racer. Less pockets, exchanged back-yoke for a kidney panel. The jacket is the means to try out the teacore black shinki (heavily grained).

The Blue one: Well, it ages, and this is some difference to my brown Himel (this one scarrs but the leather doesn´t really age at all). It´s a slim design, so it hasn´t seen much wear lately. Put it on sometimes to roam the house but not when my wife is around...;)

Edward

Bartender
Well friends, Simon James Cathcart (SJC) has a sale on, and how could I resist this for 195 British pounds ($342 Aussie)?
Sz 38, pit to pit 20 inches, sleeves 24 inches - it should fit me perfectly. Snapped it up this morning. You'll see more of it when it arrives:
View attachment 293690
View attachment 293691

A rare beast indeed - Simon sampled these a couple of years ago, but they have not as of yet gone to full production.

First of the three crappy things I bought arrived but it's actually not crappy at all. Surprisingly high quality Chevignon leather vest cafe racer sorta thing. Heavy, tough leather, great hardware, fun color. This'll find its purpose.
20201222-140131.jpg

20201222-140113.jpg

20201222-140145.jpg

20201222-140152.jpg

Nice cut - woyld make a great alternative to a jacket when the weather is too hot for a full leather... Nice neckline, much prefer that sort of cut over one with a 'collar' when going sleeveless.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Welp, the Johnson Leathers cafe racer has been stuck in USPS hell since Dec 15 so I've taken that as a sign its not meant to be. In the meantime I decided to dip my toe into the bewildering vintage game, and I snagged this 70's Lesco for $75 off the Bay. Low risk high reward? Hope USPS has their act together now that the holidays are over.
s-l1600.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nice blue; that's a hue I've seen in a lot of old British bike jackets from the late 50s through to the early eighties. Hopefully the post will start to flow now; I just this morning took delivery of a couple of bits of international post that were supposed to be in ten days before Christmas, so hopefully that's things on the move again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo