Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The chemist in me wonders whether is is some fungus or bacteria that weakens the fibers. Obviously they have been shredded, and age of the leather has little to do with it, as many an old jacket are super-strong. I got to read up on dry rot.

The chemist in me wonders whether is is some fungus or bacteria that weakens the fibers. Obviously they have been shredded, and age of the leather has little to do with it, as many an old jacket are super-strong. I got to read up on dry rot.
I think when there is no moisture present and there’s the addition of a stress point (like being on a hanger) the fibers simply separate and there is no coming back from that. Once they separate, it’s over.
I’ve had many jackets that were visually far worse off but did not rot like this.

Actually. Here you go.

This is rather incredible as the leather actually doesn't look bad! I would expect it to look crusty with those deep cracks & rot MUCH sooner before reaching this point but yeah, there's NO way I would've ever guessed it's that far gone...

Also, cool to hear you!

This is rather incredible as the leather actually doesn't look bad! I would expect it to look crusty with those deep cracks & rot MUCH sooner before reaching this point but yeah, there's NO way I would've ever guessed it's that far gone...

Also, cool to hear you!
That’s the terrifying part! The yoke from the listing looked the least dry!!!
C178ACF2-95DC-49A7-B146-FCBD9F84B4D2.jpeg

That's how I learned not to do stupid stuff with the Tumble Dry machine and goat leather (Well with any leather for that matter. It became crispy as your example and I basically had to throw away the whole Eastman jacket.
I had something similar happen to a jacket I paid $650 for. A Hercules barnstormer, it was a grail piece for me. From the listing it looked absolutely mint. Somehow the seller was able to get it into a box without damage (same this go round too actually) but the moment I put it on the entire thing essentially self destructed. That was around 2010.
That’s when Aero entered the chat for me. I refused to buy anything vintage for a good 6 years after that.

This jacket was less expensive but that sinking feeling is all too familiar. It’ll sure take a lot to get me to bite on a jacket with potentially the same tensile strength as a thin crust pizza.

Manolito

Familiar Face
I have ordered on Vinted a Schott 140 brown for about 200 €. This leather peacoat seems to have been popular at one time in southern Europe as there are many of them (black or brown) in Italy, France, Spain... The one I bought seems a little beat up, but all the pockets, knits and buttons seem OK. I've searched for a 140 for a moment now, but they often come with short sleeves (23, 24 inches) that I find annoying. I even found one with sleeves of 22 inches (probably modified by a previous owner) ! I managed to sell it to a shorter gentleman. But, damn, 22 inches ! The one I just bought seems to have more practical 25 inches long sleeves... Wait and see !

Reactions: Zoo

Robce

New in Town
I just ordered a Vanson DRv2 F150. A vented, perforated jacket for hot summer riding. I gotta put a couple of jackets in the classifieds

Reactions: Zoo
I had something similar happen to a jacket I paid $650 for. A Hercules barnstormer, it was a grail piece for me. From the listing it looked absolutely mint. Somehow the seller was able to get it into a box without damage (same this go round too actually) but the moment I put it on the entire thing essentially self destructed. That was around 2010.
That’s when Aero entered the chat for me. I refused to buy anything vintage for a good 6 years after that.

This jacket was less expensive but that sinking feeling is all too familiar. It’ll sure take a lot to get me to bite on a jacket with potentially the same tensile strength as a thin crust pizza.
I was heart broken when my RP did the same thing. Now it hangs in the closet laughing at me…or waiting to be sent to Shawn…

I was heart broken when my RP did the same thing. Now it hangs in the closet laughing at me…or waiting to be sent to Shawn…
No risk no reward! But it does really, really suck. It’s just impossible to tell if this exists from photos alone. Maybe asking for a video of the leather being manipulated/ folded/ pinched by hand…I dunno. If someone asked me I’d do it.

Hey All.

I’ve just ordered my first custom leather jacket from Carrie @ Thurston. I’m very excited. Going with the classic 30’s half-belt but depending on the length I might switch it up to the Planesman.

What do you all think about those two designs as a beginner/starter jacket?
If you want a longer jacket, go with the plainsman! It’s proportioned better. TB has the tendency of specing jackets like the 30’s HB a bit too long IMO. Don’t try and elongate the 30’s HB with a 26” back. It just doesn’t look right. There’s too much front drop for that back length, even if you are well over 6’.

Both great choices, versatile and easy to dress up or down.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Hey All.

I’ve just ordered my first custom leather jacket from Carrie @ Thurston. I’m very excited. Going with the classic 30’s half-belt but depending on the length I might switch it up to the Planesman.

What do you all think about those two designs as a beginner/starter jacket?

Both great choices. With a 30s HB as your first/only jacket you can’t go wrong.

I had to smile at you mentioning the Plainsman. A secret desire of mine for years now. You rarely see pictures in the wild, but then it’s always eye-candy (@Leither has one stunning example, and you can find some pictures from pre-COVID times).

What leather will you be getting?

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Found it again, the crease on the sleeves looks decently thick

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j1074976405

Here is another Schott KOTR/Herc collab with Junya. The beading on the leather seams suggest thick leathers too:

View attachment 482073
View attachment 482074
I'd say at least 3.5 oz, typical of the popular chrome motochap leather, looks like it needs a break in too.

Lots of value in special ran used Schotts.

Here's another, had I found this before I wouldn't have gone with the Y2 version... Live and learn.

View attachment 482075
View attachment 482076
Easy one word description that arouses desire an emphatically expresses praise, admiration, and passion......DOPE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot