Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Nacho

Practically Family
Hi, Thanks, Not rabbit fur from Lonsdale, just regular mouton with a vintage finish. Lonsdale is quite a gem in the Greater Vancouver area. Their rabbit fur is nice, 20 bucks a hide is reasonable. Cheaper in the States but I am not sure if we can just bring them across the border because they're fur.
I agree.

They’ve got this Maremma cowhide from Italy. Quite nice and shiny. A 5-sq-in runs you about $130. I made many things out of that hide.

Lonsdale stocks quality stuff at a reasonable price. I’d rather support our local business than spending my money in the states. Really don’t like paying taxes and duties crossing the border.

Let us know how it goes with your project.

P/s: I didn’t know that fur is prohibited item.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I agree.

They’ve got this Maremma cowhide from Italy. Quite nice and shiny. A 5-sq-in runs you about $130. I made many things out of that hide.

Lonsdale stocks quality stuff at a reasonable price. I’d rather support our local business than spending my money in the states. Really don’t like paying taxes and duties crossing the border.

Let us know how it goes with your project.

P/s: I didn’t know that fur is prohibited item.
Yeah, game hides, fur hides, all need some type of licence to import and export according to the rule book. Best to just list it as leather and not mention fur or deer. It's still better than California banning Kangaroo hides.

The Italian double bends from Lonsdale are nice, you can buy in square feet and it's almost 100% usable. If you bought a Horween side and wanted to use the clean bend only you'll lost half the money and it will end up costing a lot more.

Nice central location too. The Lonsdale name is misleading when they're on this side of the bridge, no sitting in traffic for half an hour to to cross the bridge...

mumpy

A-List Customer
I've got a CWU-36P coming my way (Valley Apparel, 2014), near mint condition, will post pics when it arrives!

Reactions: Zoo

Oskinator

New in Town
1687879414.jpeg
1687879414 (1).jpeg

Alexander Leathers Classic Biker steerhide

Woman in Pics is 1.73 Im a 1.83m Male. looking forward because measurnments are almost identical to my favorite 50s Windward

Nacho

Practically Family
Yeah, game hides, fur hides, all need some type of licence to import and export according to the rule book. Best to just list it as leather and not mention fur or deer. It's still better than California banning Kangaroo hides.

The Italian double bends from Lonsdale are nice, you can buy in square feet and it's almost 100% usable. If you bought a Horween side and wanted to use the clean bend only you'll lost half the money and it will end up costing a lot more.

Nice central location too. The Lonsdale name is misleading when they're on this side of the bridge, no sitting in traffic for half an hour to to cross the bridge...
Cali is an odd place…

Horween is nice, but too costly to get them. I always buy in group with other people when I get the chance.

I know, right? I think the original location is in North Van, but Riley moved it to Mt. Pleasant when he bought it. Tell me about the bridges. Second narrow is a nightmare.

Goel

A-List Customer
The Ingredients have finally arrived. Chopped and diced and now they go into the oven… Ralph has been invited for dinner and a show.

View attachment 529881
Is that the ginger aviator sheepskin? Looks similar to the stuff Aero has. I had considered getting some myself but since I could only find it available across the pond I would have to pay an inflated price and shipping. What are ya planning with it?

Speaking of shearling, I went ahead and put in an ANJ4 myself. This time 15mm with a goatskin panels. I almost considered doing another B-6 but I really like the added durability (and look) of the leather panels.

By the way, does anyone have any shots of an ANJ4 with some wear? Seems like all the photos of them are when they're new and stiff.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Cali is an odd place…

Horween is nice, but too costly to get them. I always buy in group with other people when I get the chance.

I know, right? I think the original location is in North Van, but Riley moved it to Mt. Pleasant when he bought it. Tell me about the bridges. Second narrow is a nightmare.
We need a new tunnel across to the north shore and Horween needs to give Canadian customers better prices

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is that the ginger aviator sheepskin? Looks similar to the stuff Aero has. I had considered getting some myself but since I could only find it available across the pond I would have to pay an inflated price and shipping. What are ya planning with it?

Speaking of shearling, I went ahead and put in an ANJ4 myself. This time 15mm with a goatskin panels. I almost considered doing another B-6 but I really like the added durability (and look) of the leather panels.

By the way, does anyone have any shots of an ANJ4 with some wear? Seems like all the photos of them are when they're new and stiff.
Damon sourced the sheepskin, but I don’t think it’s the same as the one Aero uses, it doesn’t look double faced (acrylic Paint finish on the flesh side).

For that aviator shearling, the only place I’ve found is the GH Leather from UK, selling US chrome tanned sheepskin. . They do have an Etsy store that takes return:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1078125271/aviator-sheepskin-north-american

I started painting jackets myself using Angelus acrylic. If the double faced sheepskin is finished with same or similar acrylic finish, then it would stay new looking very long time. This stuff when applied in multiple coats fills up every nooks and crannies and flex with the leather. Self leveling paint technology. It does start to get quite stiff and squeaky with multiple coats though.

Goel

A-List Customer
Damon sourced the sheepskin, but I don’t think it’s the same as the one Aero uses, it doesn’t look double faced (acrylic Paint finish on the flesh side).

For that aviator shearling, the only place I’ve found is the GH Leather from UK, selling US chrome tanned sheepskin. . They do have an Etsy store that takes return:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1078125271/aviator-sheepskin-north-american

I started painting jackets myself using Angelus acrylic. If the double faced sheepskin is finished with same or similar acrylic finish, then it would stay new looking very long time. This stuff when applied in multiple coats fills up every nooks and crannies and flex with the leather. Self leveling paint technology. It does start to get quite stiff and squeaky with multiple coats though.
Never thought of painting it myself. That might look pretty cool when it's done!

Nacho

Practically Family
We need a new tunnel across to the north shore and Horween needs to give Canadian customers better prices
I wonder if we have a tannery or two here in Canada. I mean, wasn’t Durable from Canada? We also used to have Score, Shields, and Brimaco.

There has to be one in Ontario due to its proximity to Chicago, NYC, and Boston. That province is also the manufacturing hub of the country.

It’s even more likely in BC because of all the boots companies. Not to mention Seattle Woolen, now known as Filson, nearby.

Last edited:

ojaw

A-List Customer
I wonder if we have a tannery or two here in Canada. I mean, wasn’t Durable from Canada? We also used to have Score, Shields, and Brimaco.

There has to be one in Ontario due to its proximity to Chicago, NYC, and Boston. That province is also the manufacturing hub of the country.

It’s even more likely in BC because of all the boots companies. Not to mention Seattle Woolen, now known as Filson, nearby.
Used to have Dominion in Winnipeg too

AHP91

Practically Family
Well, here's my big potential one. Tough to gauge the condition of it, and it is pricey. Have another hour and a half or so to get about 100 off the asking price. As tough as it is to obtain excellent condition old vintage jackets, I really dislike it when there are condition issues. No ability to ask further questions about condition. Ralphs Pugh

1688564180735.png

1688564196495.png

1688564208041.png

1688564226209.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's my big potential one. Tough to gauge the condition of it, and it is pricey. Have another hour and a half or so to get about 100 off the asking price. As tough as it is to obtain excellent condition old vintage jackets, I really dislike it when there are condition issues. No ability to ask further questions about condition. Ralphs Pugh

View attachment 530311
View attachment 530312
View attachment 530313
View attachment 530314
I've got a couple of these, but no collar. Looks good in pics

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Filson definitely had its own entire supply chain, making money off the Gold rush going Yukon in the North and San Francisco in the South. Seattle Woolen was part of that supply chain and its location right next to the water meant to me that they had some sort of tanning or finishing going on so it was easy for waste water treatment.
Most of the Canadian industries are surrounding the great lake neighboring the Americans like you said. There isn't a lot going on in the Western provinces.

The Durable brand is so mysterious. I've seen both English Durable brand and French Durable brand. I still think there are two Durable companies, one is American in California, one is from Quebec. For a jacket to travel 3000 miles in the 1950s just seemed a little unreal to me. The trans Canada Highway didn't quite reach BC from the eastern provinces until the early 60s. If the Durable jacket on the Hollywood set was from Canadian origin, then it had one hell of a journey, potentially a greater story than the movie that made it so infamous. 3000 miles, east to west, 1950s...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Nacho

Practically Family
Filson definitely had its own entire supply chain, making money off the Gold rush going Yukon in the North and San Francisco in the South. Seattle Woolen was part of that supply chain and its location right next to the water meant to me that they had some sort of tanning or finishing going on so it was easy for waste water treatment.
Most of the Canadian industries are surrounding the great lake neighboring the Americans like you said. There isn't a lot going on in the Western provinces.

The Durable brand is so mysterious. I've seen both English Durable brand and French Durable brand. I still think there are two Durable companies, one is American in California, one is from Quebec. For a jacket to travel 3000 miles in the 1950s just seemed a little unreal to me. The trans Canada Highway didn't quite reach BC from the eastern provinces until the early 60s. If the Durable jacket on the Hollywood set was from Canadian origin, then it had one hell of a journey, potentially a greater story than the movie that made it so infamous. 3000 miles, east to west, 1950s...
Thanks for the insights. I'm in search for a Seattle Woolen half belt myself. Heard a lot of good things about them. But this maker seems to be a rarity. Excited for the hunt, though!

Ah, these mysteries behind these leather jackets. That's what keeps us going.

In fact, I've just got a trucker jacket with a faded label. Couldn't tell which brand it is but after some analysis and research, it turns out to be a 'Hard On Leather' label. This store was similar to Taste of Leather - they don't produce but white-label other makers' jacket.

Now, its location was on Polk St, San Fran, a few doors down from Johnson Leather. I believe JL do make jackets for other people to put their brand on. So after cleaning the trucker, I'm gonna shoot JL a message to see if this is one of their works.

But, something tells me that this is a work of Taubers because of the similarities to @tmitchell59 's Taubers trucker and other Taubers of this time (Hard On Leather was around during the late 70s and closed up shop in 1980).

I'll submit a post with pictures after I get more info from JL. Stay tuned! This one is gonna be a doozy.

Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family

View attachment 530311
View attachment 530312
View attachment 530313
View attachment 530314
This one was bought. I'm a sucker for a 15% off coupon. I'll keep the leather jacket economy strong in the summer heat. Godspeed, friends

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails