Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much thicker/heavier are the hides on Lost World jackets than other companies?

JLStorm

Practically Family
In another thread of mine I am requesting a company that makes a very tough shearling jacket. It was brought to my attention that Lost Worlds seems to have the thickest and heaviest hides (at least for their shearling jackets). How much thicker and heavier are we talking than say Aero, US Authentic, Schott, Eastman, etc...?

It would just help me if I had an idea of the difference...are we talking something it would take a trained eye to see, or is it a major increase in weight and thickness?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

John Lever

One Too Many
This subject has been covered many times before on this forum and VLJ. Lost Worlds are very well known for using very thick heavy hides for all their jackets much more so than other companies. Some would say their materials are too heavy, but that's the way they do it.
I once owned a special super heavy B3 using test materials and it was like wearing a carpet.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
This subject has been covered many times before on this forum and VLJ. Lost Worlds are very well known for using very thick heavy hides for all their jackets much more so than other companies. Some would say their materials are too heavy, but that's the way they do it.
I once owned a special super heavy B3 using test materials and it was like wearing a carpet.

Sorry for the repeat question...I did a bunch of searches on "lost worlds" and didnt find any threads with more than a post or two claiming that LW was to thick for them...any idea as to the location of these past threads?

Rufus

Practically Family
Hiya JLS,
I had a LW J23 Buco MC jacket, heaviest jacket I've EVER owned. HorseHide incredibly thick, heavy, and tough.

If you want bulletproof, Stuart's your man.

Expensive, but an LW will survive a nuclear blast.

:) Rufus

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Always thought LW labels should carry the tag line:
"WILL NEVER WEAR OUT – WILL NEVER BREAK IN"

I own three, two of them acquired of Mr. Lever. BTW John, I'm spending this winter in Iowa and looking forward to pitting the B-2 against windchills that equal anything the open cockpit Air Corps had to deal with.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I own two LW jackets. A G-1 in dark seal goat and a russet HH A-2. The A-2 will keep you warm in 40F weather and keep the wind / rain off your back as well. I wish we had longer, colder wetter days just to help break in the jacket. The leather is heavy, but not uncomfortably so but it is a little stiff even after almost a year of solid use.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Easier carried around than a lead lined fridge, just in case you get caught up in one, too! ;)

I noticed the "lead-lined" sticker on the fridge - what was that about? Were they lead-lined? If so, why? I didn't care for this! A lot of people laughed but I was gritting my teeth..............

John Lever

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Always thought LW labels should carry the tag line:
"WILL NEVER WEAR OUT – WILL NEVER BREAK IN"

I own three, two of them acquired of Mr. Lever. BTW John, I'm spending this winter in Iowa and looking forward to pitting the B-2 against windchills that equal anything the open cockpit Air Corps had to deal with.
Great to hear you will test it out. Bet you still can't fasten the throat snap though ! [ I never could]

Edward

Bartender
ethanedwards said:
I noticed the "lead-lined" sticker on the fridge - what was that about? Were they lead-lined? If so, why? I didn't care for this! A lot of people laughed but I was gritting my teeth..............

I presume it was there to inform us that Indy was shielded from the radiation of the blast. As I recall, the better class of fallout shelter was lead-lined, the theory being that it keeps out the alpha and beta rays (though not, if hazy memories of third form physics are to be relied upon, gamma rays). It was a throwaway scene which I found amusing enough, and probably fairly typical of the more incrdible things you'd have seen in a 50s sci-fi movie.

Anyhow, back on topic.... it does seem to me that LW place an enormous emphasis upon the toughness of their jackets. If they are as good as they claim, the quality must be high indeed. Though TBH, I was rather put off the idea of dealing with them by the constant harping on about being a "real man" and the end of Western civilisation as we know it, but that's to personal taste. The product certainly looks good, even if the price is rather high by comparison to the serious alternatives.

Edward

Bartender
John Lever said:
Edward, Lost worlds isn't really that expensive considering some of The Few B-3 's are around £1250. My Few B2 was around £1000.

I tend to stick to looking more locally - Aero and Eastman are good enough for me.... and TBH I don't think I could justify spending more than £500 on one jacket, even if I had that sort of cash to throw around.... but yeah, I guess when you look at those other sources, they aren't so bad. I'd love a B2 myself - particularly like the Buzz Rickson(?) that Rufus has, with the lighter colour mouton collar, but it's not an immediate priority for me. I'd love to see an Aero take on the B2.... shame nobody does one in the UK, but I suppose there's not much demand as compared to the familiar, war-era B3.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:

You won't be disappointed in the Lost Worlds B-2. The alpaca lining doesn't seem like much but combined with the windstopping power of the horsehide - it does the job. Last winter was a real test for mine and it passed with flying colors!

Noel

John Lever

One Too Many
They are very heavy and totally wind proof. The only reserve would be the generous cut of the jacket at the waist belt. Worth every penny especial if you are in the US

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats