Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

• Total voters

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I don't really pay very much for my ties at all - the most was £7 I think. As a student on a horribly limited budget though that's barely more than I can afford. Usually I'm lucky to get a few vintage ones that come up for around £1. My two favourites came to me that way - one NOS Tootal Red Label tie in green with white dots and one navy blue wool tie that feels like some kind of suiting with a cricket ball pattern.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I voted for "No more than 20" which included shipping. Most are from the US. I usually pay a price form 5-10$ and the shipping doubles the cost. So sometimes buying a "tie lot" will be cheaper for me even if there are some ugly ones in it.

I have only 3 european vintage ties. Paid 8€, 3€ and 50 cents. Last one on the flea market last weekend. It's less spectacular but I guess there is a place for calm ties too.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I voted no more than $20. However, if I saw one that really jumped out to me and was in great shape and I had to have it, I'd most likely pay more.
So far, the average I've spent is between $2-$5 a tie. I have one that was $7 and one that was $15. I'm not much into collecting things but I seem to be developing an addiction to collecting ties. It's a good vice.

I voted no more than $20. However, if I saw one that really jumped out to me and was in great shape and I had to have it, I'd most likely pay more.
So far, the average I've spent is between $2-$5 a tie. I have one that was $7 and one that was $15. I'm not much into collecting things but I seem to be developing an addiction to collecting ties. It's a good vice.

Indeed it is. After the first 1,000 you quit counting anyway. :p

redtag

Banned
I do love vintage neckties but I do not spend all my money for these items. Unfortunately, I am part of the group who pays $3 or less for a decent-looking vintage tie.

Daniel

Familiar Face
I'd never pay more than $3.99. If you religiously go to thrift stores, you'll eventually come across so many vintage neckties...often marked $0.99 because they're shorter and appear "old."

I found the mother lode of skinny vintage *bow ties* last year; each was less than two bucks.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
If you religiously go to thrift stores, you'll eventually come across so many vintage neckties...often marked $0.99 because they're shorter and appear "old."

Not in NYC, you won't. The thrift store operators here seem far too vintage-savvy to let such items hit the shelves/racks.

Gene

Practically Family
Not in NYC, you won't. The thrift store operators here seem far too vintage-savvy to let such items hit the shelves/racks.

Different story here in the heartland. I've gotten many a tie at Goodwill or Salvation Army, usually around $1.99. Heck, on eBay I've gotten them for under $5. Ties seem to be one of those things that get skewed from the ridiculously low to the certifiably insane high.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Different story here in the heartland. I've gotten many a tie at Goodwill or Salvation Army, usually around $1.99. Heck, on eBay I've gotten them for under $5. Ties seem to be one of those things that get skewed from the ridiculously low to the certifiably insane high.

Same situation here in L.A., although you will pay more if you are foolish enough to go to "vintage" stores...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner