Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How not to look like Indiana Jones?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
This Friday my wife and I will be doing our first outing in vintage attire. We are meeting some friends at Bing Crosby's down in San Diego. I will make a note of all comments as a social experiment and report back. I've been very curious to see what kind of comments we'll draw. I'm curious to see if you draw more or less when you have several folks with you in comparison to maybe just yourself. My attire will be either a dark blue or light blue DB suit and a moonstone "Stylemaster". We'll see if I am mistaken for any archaeologists.
That'll be interesting. I'm curious to hear the results.

Edward

Bartender
Marcus said:
I'm curious to see if you draw more or less when you have several folks with you in comparison to maybe just yourself.

In my experience over years of going out on public transport in anything out of the norm, from vintage to full-on Dr Frank'n'Furter via drag and zombies, and all points in between, people will stare if you're the only one, but add two or three more and you sudenly becomed 'fancy dress' and therefore unremarkable. (Except in Liverpool, where they will throw coins at you in broad daylight).

Edward

Bartender
bruce wayne said:
please explain

I went to Liverpool for a night at the theatre with some Rocky Horror friends a few years ago. There were a whole bunch of us in costume; walking up the road at three in the afternoon, we had coins thrown at us. The logic of this, if you could call it that, is 'what are those freaks doing? We must show our disapproval by throwing coins of a low value at them.' Coins, because being small and yet hard, they make excellent projectiles and hurt rather a lot when you get hit by them. Of course, this was infinitely preferable to being surrounded and physically pushed around, as happened later on that evening.

Needless to say, I have not returned to Liverpool since. This may or may not be unfair on the whole city, but I didn't care for itg much to begin with, and this experience rather soured it for any return trip designed to dispell such initial dislike, la.

Erik

One of the Regulars
I feel I should be the one to point out that despite any comments suggesting otherwise no, people are not mistaking any of us for Harrison Ford in his role, in his prime. Sorry. :p

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Erik said:
I feel I should be the one to point out that despite any comments suggesting otherwise no, people are not mistaking any of us for Harrison Ford in his role, in his prime. Sorry. :p

Speak for yourself.

Some of us bear quite the resemblance to him, so I believe it when people tell me Indy comments. ;)

Marcus

A-List Customer
Blackthorn said:
That'll be interesting. I'm curious to hear the results.

Well, we received no bad comments whatsoever! There was a dance instructor-type in piano bar that was taking any of the ladies for a spin should they desire. When we first walked in he asked if, "....we were part of the dance troupe?". We said no and he complimented all of us on our attire. Everything else was in the form of eyeballs following us across the room when we walked by. Apparently lots of folks were impressed by our attire in bar when we went there after dinner. The dance instructor mentioned to us that people were talking.

Anyhow, no Indy comments at all.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Erik said:
The problem is not being mistaken for Ford. The problem is being mistaken for a lame and unimaginative fantasist.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
Well, we received no bad comments whatsoever! There was a dance instructor-type in piano bar that was taking any of the ladies for a spin should they desire. When we first walked in he asked if, "....we were part of the dance troupe?". We said no and he complimented all of us on our attire. Everything else was in the form of eyeballs following us across the room when we walked by. Apparently lots of folks were impressed by our attire in bar when we went there after dinner. The dance instructor mentioned to us that people were talking.

Anyhow, no Indy comments at all.
I'm glad to hear that.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
The problem is not being mistaken for Ford. The problem is being mistaken for a lame and unimaginative fantasist.
LOL Are you talking about those guys that dress in full indy gear? If so they only do that on certain occasions and they are no different then anyone else interested in other types of films who dress for the occasion. Without the props the Fedora, jacket and khaki pants are as much vintage wear as any nice suit. Like it or not anyone who wears vintage clothing is a fantasist for the simple fact that this is not the 1930's, 40's or 50's. We live in the age of computers, rap music, ugly buildings and a world that wants to do away with all of our nasty fossil fuel burning cars. The reason for those Indy comments is because those films are as much responsible if not more so for exposing people to Fedora's then anything else.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Speak for yourself.

Some of us bear quite the resemblance to him, so I believe it when people tell me Indy comments. ;)
Indeed, it's so tiring to be constantly mistaken for Harrison Ford, but some of us just have to live with the constant autograph seekers, don't we, Miss Neecerie? ;) :D

Torpedo

One Too Many
The curious thing is that some of those who go dressed like Indiana Jones (with all, the greater part, or at least the most identifiable elements); and do this because of admiration for the character; and do it outside of a fans convention... do not like the Indy remarks, neither.

This one I do not get. [huh]

I have just two of the items, the jacket and the hat, because I like the items and I like the character. If I put them together, even if the rest of my ensemble is not like Indy's, I am ready to receive Indy remarks. This is unavoidable, in fact you sort of are asking for it... so why some people are angry about the fact?

I got only 1 hat that would be closely mistaken for an Indy hat, an Akubra Squatter (widest ribbon I own). I never wear it with a leather jacket. I mainly wear a thin ribbon Open Road style lids with a barn coat style jacket or a sport coat. I get "where's your whip?" all the time. I'm almost always in Wrangler jeans & roper boots, too. I don't think the trousers come into the equation. Folks just see a hat & think Indy Jones. If I do sport a wider brim western, I get John Wayne & Malboro Man comments along with "where's your horse?" comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner