Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How not to look like Indiana Jones?

Doublegun

Practically Family
My LHB is breaking in nicely and I can't wait to start wearing it this fall. I am sure on rainy and/or cold days I'll also wear a hat (Camp Draft, Fed IV, or yet to be aquired lid). Aside from not carrying a whip and a gun how does one avoid the Raiders looks and comments?

babs

A-List Customer
Reason I'll probably avoid the brown Fed until last after getting all the other colors. Though I'm unmistakenly NOT Harrison Ford to be sure.

I think it's also one reason my 1st decent hat I picked up was a homburg.. Classy and different yet similar. More in line with suit, tie, overcoat than a leather bomber.

Hey.. Take note of my avatar.. Some slick vintage threads and trade in the whip and j-frame 6-shooter for a nice savinelli billiard pipe. They'll call you "Bing" instead of "Indy". :) Come to think of it.. I'd love to have a jacket like that.

Edward

Bartender
I'd rather get "Indy" than the cowboy comments..... for some reason those bug me the most, I guess because a fedora in no way whatever looks like a cowboy hat. [huh]

If it bothers you that much, I'd try wearing a gatsby / eight-panel cap or something along those lines with the jacket.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The Indy comment seems to follow me around, getting me even when I wear a grey hat and suit of varying colour. Therefore it's true that they are unavoidable when you wear any sort of fedora, but they can be minimised.

If you are wearing a brown leather jacket with a hat then avoid brown fedoras and avoid khaki shirts and trousers, or at least don't wear both at once. I find that the best is black trousers, blue or white striped/chequed shirt and grey fedora with brown jacket. I haven't got a single Indy comment yet that way and the colour combinations still look acceptable.

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
I have a Brown hat, leather jacket, and a lot of my pants are khaki. I get the Indy comment alot. Mostly from my soldiers, but it turns out most of em thought it was cool.

I will wear what I like and anyone who dosent like what I wear can jump off a cliff. I will not cater to people who know nothing about history and are rude.

Edward

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh. OK

I wear a Wested Raiders jacket and a fedora just about every day and I rarely get the Indiana Jones comment. In fact its been years now. My fedoras are not usually the Indiana Jones style either, my Vintage Silhouettes get more mileage then my Federation or Adventurebilt. I get more Crocodile Dundee comments then Indiana Jones. Ironically I wear a Crocodile Dundee hat (akubra down under) but I never seem to be wearing it when people say that. Dick Tracy is probably the next thing people say. The odd Joe Friday Dragnet.

People are strange.

Most people think of Indiana Jones with fondness, so take it as a compliment. It took me year to just accept comments as compliments, and a few more to take them with grace. Last time someone said "Hay Indiana Jones" I pointed at him and said "Fortune and glory kid, Fortune and glory" he gave me a thumbs up and said "that's cool man, I like your style"

Johnny

Edward

Bartender
johnnycanuck said:
Oh. OK

I wear a Wested Raiders jacket and a fedora just about every day and I rarely get the Indiana Jones comment. In fact its been years now. My fedoras are not usually the Indiana Jones style either, my Vintage Silhouettes get more mileage then my Federation or Adventurebilt. I get more Crocodile Dundee comments then Indiana Jones. Ironically I wear a Crocodile Dundee hat (akubra down under) but I never seem to be wearing it when people say that. Dick Tracy is probably the next thing people say. The odd Joe Friday Dragnet.

People are strange.

Most people think of Indiana Jones with fondness, so take it as a compliment. It took me year to just accept comments as compliments, and a few more to take them with grace. Last time someone said "Hay Indiana Jones" I pointed at him and said "Fortune and glory kid, Fortune and glory" he gave me a thumbs up and said "that's cool man, I like your style"

Johnny

That's a great reaction, Johnny! I do, like you, it seems, find that most folks genuinely mean these things in a complimentary way..... i hate the cowboy comments, but i try to take 'em with good grace as most folks mean well with them.

Tone

A-List Customer
That LBH is a neat jacket, but unique enough that it'll probably draw double-takes on its own merit. Being brown and leather, you're most likely going to inherit some Indy comments regardless of the fedora you have on with it, too.

So might as well try and find a style of hat you feel comfortable wearing along with it in which both the hat and jacket complement each other as "un-Indy" as can be.

Good advice about staying far away from a brown fedora for starters, if you're trying to divert from an "Indy" look.

Which style of hat are you most comfortable wearing, usually? Is there one particular style over another that looks and feels "right" to you?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Tone said:
Which style of hat are you most comfortable wearing, usually? Is there one particular style over another that looks and feels "right" to you?

I am kind of a work in progress when it comes to hats. Definitly not a stingy brim kind of guy and I prefer a taller open crown. I may try a smaller brim - kind of like Depp's in PE.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Kind of strange post really - Isn't it because we want to be noted and recogniced as someone special, that some people wears fedoras, strange looking jackets and coats?
And when we do get noted - and somebody actually says something - we get p.... of?
Cmon you guys - if you cant take it, wear a baseballcap.;) ;) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner