Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How not to look like Indiana Jones?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I went to Liverpool for a night at the theatre with some Rocky Horror friends a few years ago. There were a whole bunch of us in costume; walking up the road at three in the afternoon, we had coins thrown at us. The logic of this, if you could call it that, is 'what are those freaks doing? We must show our disapproval by throwing coins of a low value at them.' Coins, because being small and yet hard, they make excellent projectiles and hurt rather a lot when you get hit by them. Of course, this was infinitely preferable to being surrounded and physically pushed around, as happened later on that evening.

Ahh the old Liverpool throw coins thing... In Washington, DC the favorite of people was old batteries to throw at people... I remember that...

Djupis

One of the Regulars
I saw a guy at the university yesterday and I must admit I immediately thought of Indiana Jones. He wore a black fedora and a dark safari jacket of sorts. The first thought that got to my mind was "oh no, I've become one of them".

Turns out he studied archaeology [huh]

DC3

New in Town
The only Indy comment I've had came from behind me in line at the grocery store. I was wearing my brown leather Fedora, tan safari shirt, and cargo pants. It came brightly from an older lady and was something like, "Stocking up Indy?" I had three 12 packs of sodas stacked up. Without missing a beat, and in my best Sean Connery voice, I replied as I turned around, "Ma'am, we called the dog Indiana." Cracked up her, and the check out lady.
I'm 6 foot 250lbs, sport a full red beard, and look nothing like Harrison Ford...but my Connery isn't bad junior.

1stsargent

New in Town
I wore my brand new drab color 1889 campaign hat backpacking a month ago and from several people I met and from my buddies all I heard was Indy comments. I even creased my hat on the top so as not to look indy like. Don't get me wrong I like the films but I let Harrison ford be Indy. I was going for a more classic outdoorsman/explorer look not the indy look.

PalmerPirate

New in Town
I was called Indy once while wearing a black Resistol Wildcard. (a gambler-style cowboy hat!) I have found that even if you put an "Indy style" brown fedora with a high crown and all on a person who is not of the Caucasian persuasion, the "Indy Comment" almost completely evaporates. By not of the Caucasian persuasion, I mean an African American, Native American, Asian, Latino, or otherwise anything "not white." Pardon my bluntness, but it gets blunter: Have you ever seen a black fellow with an Indy hat and thought about Jones?
Personally, I love Jones. It's one of my favorite movies, and without doubt one of the few great pulp flicks. (Can you think of any other successful pulp movies? Rocketeer?)
It could be worse, friends. You could wear a green Vietnamese pith helmet and be called "that guy from Jumanji." and be unfortunate enough to have never SEEN Jumanji. (Is it really such a tragedy to not have?)

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Keep in mind that I'm 25, have hair almost to my shoulders, occasionally tie it back in a short ponytail, and wear glasses. So I really look nothing like Indiana Jones.

I gotten Indy comments wearing an A2, untucked white/blue striped oxford button-down, and jeans with brown/tan Sambas. No hat.

Also gotten it hiking in zip-off cargo pants (the kind that you can unzip at the knee and turn into shorts), a khaki ripstop hiking shirt (the modern technical kind treated with a UV blocker and all that), trail runners, a desert camo Camelback, and a mesh-crown hat, with a Nikon slung over my shoulder.

So really, if you wear a leather jacket, something khaki, and/or a hat, expect comments. Even if you think you look nothing like Indiana Jones.

91_Mustang

New in Town
I suppose in our day and time Indiana Jones is the most regonizable figure in pop culture that people can associate with fedoras and leather jackets. It's not a bad thing but that's just how people think when they see someone dressed in a fashion that isn't that common right now. They're just trying to associate something uncommon and unique to something they are familiar with. Notice that folks wearing baseball caps never get accused of looking like "Short Round" from Temple of Doom. It's because ball caps are still widely popular these days while Fedoras are pretty uncommon.

So my solution to the question at hand is that the best way not to look like Indiana Jones is to get more people to wear Fedoras.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Best way to figure this out is to ask ourselves what Indiana Jones represents. Adventure. If you look like your dressed to so something some where while avoiding snakes at the same time, your Indy!

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Very easy. Wear your fedora and wear something like this rig, as worn by Sean Connery in the loony film Zardoz:

Warning: Embarrassing to Sean Connery fans. Do not view while drinking.
Edited to add: May lead to nightmares.
http://geekofalltrades.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/zardoz.jpg
People will be too scared to ask silly questions. lol

Don't be surprised if people think you're trying to look like Crocodile Dundee, Indy, a cowboy, a rabbi, or one of the Blues Brothers. By standing out in the crowd, you are somehow more approachable than normal.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Geronimo said:
Very easy. Wear your fedora and wear something like this rig, as worn by Sean Connery in the loony film Zardoz:

Don't be surprised if people think you're trying to look like Crocodile Dundee, Indy, a cowboy, a rabbi, or one of the Blues Brothers. By standing out in the crowd, you are somehow more approachable than normal.

OK...that link is going to give me nightmares. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MCrider

A-List Customer
Geronimo said:

Well at least that solves the mystery of where Indiana Jones got his Webley from.
:p

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
I've had it!

I've gotten the "Indy" cooment as well-many times.
In fact, while in southern Florida some time ago I was wearing khaki SHORTS, SANDALS, a BLUE SHORT SLEEVE shirt, and a CANVAS safari type hat, and I got called "Indy" and "Cowboy" both! I had a shoulder bag, but for goodness sake!:eusa_doh:

I then decided to start carrying my whip and whipping people right across the mouth when they said such stupidities. I would then punch them square in the jaw, and emptied my 1917 into their gut, followed by running them over with an old tank, or throwing them into the running propellers of a vintage airplane-depending upon availability. I tried throwing them up into a helicopter blade once, but it was messy for me.

I then ordered an ice cold Coke and a couple of slices of pizza, and followed it up with a pipefull of cavendish, and all was well.:cool2:

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Ahh!

Geronimo said:

QUOTE]

I'm going to try that. My brown fedora with the Zardoz outfit. But I think I'll wear the outfit in purple instead of red. Maybe I'll get a "Prince" comment then. Being in Arizona, an open carry state, I can even carry a Webley.

Havana Joe said:
Geronimo said:

QUOTE]

I'm going to try that. My brown fedora with the Zardoz outfit. But I think I'll wear the outfit in purple instead of red. Maybe I'll get a "Prince" comment then. Being in Arizona, an open carry state, I can even carry a Webley.

Nowadays you would get called Borat. :eek: :rolleyes:

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Charlie Noodles said:
Fedora + Anything = potential Indy comments.

LOL!
You are so right!
Heck you could be naked except for a fedora and some knuckle-dragger would call you Indiana Jones.

...not that I know from experience or anything.

I mean... I BET you could be naked except for a fedora and some knuckle-dragger would call you Indiana Jones.

Oh never mind.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Havana Joe said:
I've gotten the "Indy" cooment as well-many times.
In fact, while in southern Florida some time ago I was wearing khaki SHORTS, SANDALS, a BLUE SHORT SLEEVE shirt, and a CANVAS safari type hat, and I got called "Indy" and "Cowboy" both! I had a shoulder bag, but for goodness sake!:eusa_doh:

I then decided to start carrying my whip and whipping people right across the mouth when they said such stupidities. I would then punch them square in the jaw, and emptied my 1917 into their gut, followed by running them over with an old tank, or throwing them into the running propellers of a vintage airplane-depending upon availability. I tried throwing them up into a helicopter blade once, but it was messy for me.

I then ordered an ice cold Coke and a couple of slices of pizza, and followed it up with a pipefull of cavendish, and all was well.:cool2:

You are THE MAN.

weinerman

New in Town
It's the whole "Hat" thing; people are not used to anything other than baseball or truckers now. I wear fedoras and panamas and think nothing of it; but then again my father wore Stetsons, Fedoras and Hombergs along with newsboys on a daily basis and he was a contractor. Both of my grandfathers always wore hats and my great aunt was a celebrated Millener; I guess head gear is in my blood, screw 'em all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner