Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Sweet It Is - Stetson Fifty

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I recently acquired a Stetson Fifty as well, and it appears to be from the same time period as Bud's. Digging around, this was the best 'Beaver Fifty' thread I could find, so I guess this is the 'club' page?

Question: How does the felt quality of a Stetson Fifty from the '60s compare to those from the '50s? I've had a number of 3X's - this one is much stiffer felt, but a smoother finish, similar to the Resistol 'Kitten Finish'

Anyone else have Stetson 'Beaver Fifty's to share?

Stetson7XFront2.jpg

Stetson7XSideDip.jpg

Stetson7XFrontDip.jpg

Stetson7XBottom.jpg

Stan

A-List Customer
y'all got me

Hi,

Well, I just took a little trip to Confused Land. I started reading and thought that the original hat at the top of the thread was one I had missed watching a recent auction for! lol

Later!

Stan

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stan said:
Hi,

Well, I just took a little trip to Confused Land. I started reading and thought that the original hat at the top of the thread was one I had missed watching a recent auction for! lol

Later!

Stan
lol You can still be confused - the 2nd hat IS from a recent auction!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Scott -- does the medallion logo on the sweat read "Clear Beaver Quality"?

Yes, just above the circle, then the 7 x's above that. It also had the factory bash ('C' at the back, light pinch at front) - I steamed out most of the 'C' in back, gave it a weak diamond bash with a tighter front pinch. It snaps as shown in the first pic, but more natural with the dip in front.

It took 9 yrs for another Stetson Fifty to be added to this thread.

A post-1965 Stetson 7X "Fifty". 2-1/2" bound edge brim. Black 1-1/2" sweat. Plastic protector over silver crest with maple leaf, side seam liner. Not embossed as an Open Road. I can detect no difference is felt stiffness or hand with my earlier 1960's 7XCB OR. And it is a big upgrade from my post-1965 Stetson Twenty-five OR.

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It took 9 yrs for another Stetson Fifty to be added to this thread.

A post-1965 Stetson 7X "Fifty". 2-1/2" bound edge brim. Black 1-1/2" sweat. Plastic protector over silver crest with maple leaf, side seam liner. Not embossed as an Open Road. I can detect no difference is felt stiffness or hand with my earlier 1960's 7XCB OR. And it is a big upgrade from my post-1965 Stetson Twenty-five OR.

View attachment 178994

View attachment 178992

View attachment 178991

View attachment 178993

View attachment 178990

View attachment 178986

View attachment 178989

View attachment 178988

View attachment 178987
I didn’t know this thread existed.
Good revival Jack and a stellar example of a pretty rare hat. Not sure of others but i’ve only seen or heard of a couple more around.
That one is sweet and still a super felt for the time frame. Stetson still made some fine hats then.
Great get Jack!! Love it.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui