Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to bash a fedora so it doesn't look like a freshliy bashed fedora

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I don't think I'm alone here when I say I really like open crown hats. I enjoy giving my hats a personal touch. I've also rebashed most of my pre-creased hats at one time or another.

I'm usually (eventually) happy with the result but they always look like freshly bashed hats. I have tried to make some of them look less "fresh" but I haven't worked out how to do it properly.

I'm not going for a fake distressed look - I don't want fake sweat stains, Johnny Depp pinch holes etc but I do like the character that come from an imperfect bash.

https://goo.gl/images/JLZNLC
JLZNLC

SurfGent

Suspended
I don't think I'm alone here when I say I really like open crown hats. I enjoy giving my hats a personal touch. I've also rebashed most of my pre-creased hats at one time or another.

I'm usually (eventually) happy with the result but they always look like freshly bashed hats. I have tried to make some of them look less "fresh" but I haven't worked out how to do it properly.

I'm not going for a fake distressed look - I don't want fake sweat stains, Johnny Depp pinch holes etc but I do like the character that come from an imperfect bash.

https://goo.gl/images/JLZNLC
JLZNLC
Ya You look at old pics and there crowns are asymmetrically bashed alot. We as FL members fret over our crowns :) lol

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
New hats usually look freshly bashed because they are new, fresh hats. It is next to impossible to make a new hat look less than new unless it is artificially distressed, and then it has that artificial look.

You can somewhat achieve your desired effect by carefully pushing uneven creases into your new hat. One way of doing this, which is definitely not a favorite around here, is to 'turn' the hat. You do this by placing the hat on your head and turning it, usually to the right, until the center of the bow is over your left sideburn (or where it would be if you had sideburns). You will notice that the brim distorts a little, making the hat look a bit worn in, and not like a brand new hat.

With the hat on your head and standing in front of a mirror, squeeze in the front pinches. Take the hat off your head and push the top crease or dent in the way you want it. Because the hat is no longer symmetrical side to side, the top crease or dent will be a little sideways, or can be made to be that way if it's not already. Sometimes, if you are doing a center dent, the humps are a little uneven, one being fatter or wider than the other, depending where you put the back of the dent in relation to the back of the hat. You can also push little side dents into it if you desire. I like to put a little perpendicular crease into the rear of a center dent when I do this.

You may have to play with all this a few times, on and off your head. Steam, or water from a spray bottle, also makes this much easier.

Again, not a favorite around here due to its Indiana Jones nature, but it is a way of giving a hat more character right out of the box. Oh, and it doesn't work for all hats. You would have to try it out on the hat in question.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon thanks for the inspiration. I've been playing around with my Campdraft

61E50752-4C7D-4304-AC7C-DD16AD41B7D7_zpspqr5ygcs.jpg

55A354A8-EF5A-4353-8E81-7E9DC47F936C_zpsnkh4wcjw.jpg

BFF94446-6CA9-4BC3-8AC1-57AD1267FA68_zps74dbqicb.jpg
looks pretty good my man
are you going for a C ?.... more of a diamond?.... or just whatever comes out ?
if you are going for whatever the hat calls for then rock it ...
but if you are going for more of a diamond I would pull the side corners back a bit ... it often makes the hat fit better and also creates a nice profile and front view ....
... something like this

cc08abcabc6cda63b670f33a3db7194a.jpg

e6cd800f090f46f8ab55ca07c401fd51.jpg

122399b437d466375f27548dbfc6eb47.jpg

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I was going for a diamond bash but that's not quite where the felt ended up. I guess that's what the hat wanted...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner