Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean oily spots on Campdraft?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Took my ol' reliable Camp Draft on a hunting trip recently and somehow got a bit of an oily spatter on it and just wondering what would be the best way to clean it? Spots are small but there are several of them. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Jedidiah

Hey Jed, been a while...
Get a can of Zippo lighter fluid, soak the end of a q-tip & dab the oil spots.
Naptha is okay for dunking the whole hat in but have used the cigarette lighter fluid for specific spots. Let us know how it turns out.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
+1 for lighter fluid. I've used a piece of terrycloth, soaked an area of the cloth, then rubbed the spot briskly. Q-tips would work on a small spot. I had to repeat the treatment a couple of times on a badly stained 4X Stetson western, but it eventually came out looking good. I've found it works best on larger stains to work the lighter fluid out past the edges of the stain. I've had sort of a "ring" develop when I didn't get all the grease or whatever out the first time. So I had to re-treat the area. Good luck. Small spots should come right out.

Jabos

A-List Customer
My 2 cents: I had good luck with denatured alcohol. When using a qtip I found it just put the liquid on the spot and caused it to soak into the felt. I then used an old white sock and it perhaps soaked up the alcohol and the stain as well. Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo