Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Get Wrinkles out of a Tie?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
A few weeks ago I was caught in a downpour with nothing but a pizza box to shield me from the rain. Fortunately, the pizza stayed dry, but everything else was soaked, including my silk tie, which is now crinkled. What is the best way to iron/steam a silk tie?

Thanks,
Philalethes

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Good question, I've got some on my hand that I have to deal with, myself. Basically, all of my four or five ties are wrinkled. At least four are silk, and one is microfiber (polyester).

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I hang the Tie on a flat area (I use a grab handle I put on my closet door in the middle/ top quarter and drape the Tie over it), steam out any wrinkles on it using the flat door area to make the Tie flat and pressed, (my Steamer has a flat handle on it) then hang it on my Tie Rack when done. Good Luck!
P.S. I ONLY use distilled water in my steamer, no water spots!

Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
You need a tie press! I got my husband a vintage one a few years ago and it's been invaluable. His is wooden with a fly press top that compresses the wrinkles out cold.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
A less complex method is to roll the tie into a circle, and place it in a drawer or somewhere similarly safe, overnight. This will loosen the wrinkles out of pure silk. After one night rolled, drape the tie over the trouser bar of one of your hangars, and it's ready to go back into your closet!

This method will naturally ease out a lot of the wrinkles, not deep ones, but generally a lot of creases, such as the ones by the knot.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
A less complex method is to roll the tie into a circle, and place it in a drawer or somewhere similarly safe, overnight. This will loosen the wrinkles out of pure silk. After one night rolled, drape the tie over the trouser bar of one of your hangars, and it's ready to go back into your closet!

This method will naturally ease out a lot of the wrinkles, not deep ones, but generally a lot of creases, such as the ones by the knot.

This idea works well in areas with some humidity (mine is under 30% very often), but as I live in an area with a very dryness, it will take a few months for me to do it this way. As for a Tie Press, I have one, it looks neat and old, but again you need a bit of dampness in the air for it to work. All really good ideas depending on your area. Good Luck!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You need a tie press! I got my husband a vintage one a few years ago and it's been invaluable. His is wooden with a fly press top that compresses the wrinkles out cold.

Tie-presses are a wonderful invention. I would buy one but I don't wear a tie as frequently as I used to, so it'd probably gather dust until such time as I actually start wearing ties again.

They're useful little things, though. I would recommend the OP buy one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran