Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How valuable can a hat be?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I was watching the antiques roadshow today, and the last item was the late Michael Jackson's black fedora, with letter of authentication from his manager. While I'm not a huge fan of his music, he did wear a nice hat in my opinion.

Tomorrow evening I will post the clip from the antiques roadshow, but between now and then my challenge is for anyone who's interested to guess the hat's value. Brits who saw the programme earlier this evening are excluded from the challenge I'm afraid.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one???

3793a_lg.jpeg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Actually CB, it looked identical to that one. However, the letter of authentication was different hence they must be different hats, both at one point worn by Mr Jackson.

Any guesses as to value?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is the description:

"This is Michael Jackson's personally owned trademark black Fedora hat, different than his charity giveaway Fedoras, with unique labeling inside the hat, as well as a signed black and white photograph. This is the only documented owned and worn Fedora we have ever seen. Accompanied by a signed letter of authenticity from MJJ Productions for both items, as well as the original MJJ labeled shipping box."
Estimate: 4000-6000

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
I was watching the antiques roadshow today, and the last item was the late Michael Jackson's black fedora, with letter of authentication from his manager. While I'm not a huge fan of his music, he did wear a nice hat in my opinion.

Tomorrow evening I will post the clip from the antiques roadshow, but between now and then my challenge is for anyone who's interested to guess the hat's value. Brits who saw the programme earlier this evening are excluded from the challenge I'm afraid.

I'll go with $9,000

Pompidou

One Too Many
This is Michael Jackson we're talking about. Not just Michael Jackson, but a dead Michael Jackson. Celebrities are always exponentially more talented and popular once they die. You could probably get 10k for his used Kleenex. I'm gonna guess 500k for the fedora.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Anyone remember when they auctioned off ... on the web, I believe ... a hat that was worn by John Wayne a few years back?

It wasn't from a movie, but after he'd made his last film ... The Shootist ... he made some bank commercials and he wore a silver belly Resistol with a cav braid

It was a decent hat, nothing special as hats go

But it went for a lot of money

Had nothing to do with the hat and a lot to do with John Wayne

Someone could prove they owned a hat that he had worn

It's all about celebrity ... and investment, to a certain degree

It's worth what someone will pay for it

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Sorry I'm a day late posting the clip. Here is the Antiques Roadshow from last Sunday (it will only be available until next Sunday due to the way BBC iplayer works).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rdt79/Antiques_Roadshow_Series_32_Somerleyton/

Jackson's hat is the last item, beginning at about 53 minutes.

Since the expert said £25,000 it seems that Zombie 61 was closest, but the expert did say starting at so it could end up considerably higher at auction. Pompidou is right in saying that the hat becomes more expensive since Mr J is dead.

I just found this item interesting since it is just an average fedora to those of us who have seen vintage hats. Yet it fetches thousands of pounds. And I thought that modern hats are expensive when we reach above $300. :rolleyes:

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Unfortunately, you can only watch the video if you're in the UK.:(

Did they mention whether the hat was made of wool or fur felt? Who was the maker?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry about that to international loungers.

The hat has no makers labels. Just a plain lining and only Michael Jackson embossed on the sweatband. No mention of whether it's wool or fur, but since it looks identical to the one CB posted earlier, you could try to see if you can tell from the picture.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MJ had hundreds of those wool fedoras made up over the years; he used to throw them into the crowd after a performance. He also had well made fur felt jobs which he wore offstage. I don't know how you'd go about sorting through the provenance of these lids.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
For the benefit of those who are not in the UK and cannot see the video, this hat was apparently thrown out of an apartment where MJ was staying on his 30th birthday. The woman who had it aquired it a few years ago by answering a telephone quiz hosted by a national newspaper. With the hat came a letter of authentication from Jackson's manager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw