Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joe Scally, coming from New York City FC, plays a pretty good Match for „my“ team in German league cup. Have fun trying to pronounce the name of his new employer…:D

regular-16-9

Turnip

Kickoff match for new Bundesliga season today, right now!!!

„My“ team vs some honks from Bavaria…;):D

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
My day today sux!!! Still ONLY about 40% of the state is vaccinated.... go figure? Schools are beginning to demand wearing of mask by students and staff.... understand perfectly! It seems the entire west coast is burning to the ground! And just got word of sucide bombings in Afganistan that killed Americans and Afgans. Pleeeese when will this crazyness come to an end? If that ain't enuf, I go to dentist tomorrow morning.

However my Orioles did win yesterday, breaking the losing streak at 19. Thank ya lord, maybe things are starting to turn around..... o_O

Turnip

Quite excellent as „my“ team just swabbed Bayern München 5:0 off the lawn in German league cup.

:cool:

Today is a great day. My wife and I owned (past tense) a 30' motorhome and although we live in Canada we purchased it, licensed it and stored it just across the border in WA state.

Precovid I would travel down once per month (when not travelling in it) to check on it, run the generator, check batteries etc. But of course during Covid lockdown the land border was closed. So for 2 years I did not see my RV. Finally in April the border opened with no testing restrictions and I ventured down to do the maintainance and prepare for a season of travel. Gobsmacked!.... our beloved home on wheels was not in the storage yard. It had been stolen. An inventive thief had rented a small storage unit that allowed him off hours access and he stole our home.....approx July of 2021.

Upon this discovery I went to the Ferndale WA police, reported it stolen, giving the clerk the VIN. She replied that I was not the owner and it was now owned by a family in Yelm WA. Now I am reeling.

Turns out the thief sold it to a broker with forged papers, the broker sold it to an RV dealership in Fife WA and they sold it to the present owners. The police have the thief in custody and are looking at the broker as possibly complicit in the fraudulent sale.

So finally after much angst and paperwork Progressive Insurance and I have settled on an amount and the money is about to be transferred to us. The Ferndale Police were brilliant; prompt, thorough and professional. Progressive was a dream to work with. They actually seemed to care so even me this cynical ba***rd believes it to be true.

We are missing our home on wheels but at least not out too much money. A decent outcome from a very shitty experience.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You are very fortunate here! I suspect this is not the usual outcome of such a situation.

I also would feel sort of bad for the "new owners" as they likely had no idea they were buying a stolen vehicle.
Glad your insurance helped out and that you got essentialy compensated for the whole deal. However I cannot imagine the heart-stopping experance it must have been to pull up to the storage yard and see the empty space where your RV used to sit.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Today is a great day. My wife and I owned (past tense) a 30' motorhome and although we live in Canada we purchased it, licensed it and stored it just across the border in WA state.

Precovid I would travel down once per month (when not travelling in it) to check on it, run the generator, check batteries etc. But of course during Covid lockdown the land border was closed. So for 2 years I did not see my RV. Finally in April the border opened with no testing restrictions and I ventured down to do the maintainance and prepare for a season of travel. Gobsmacked!.... our beloved home on wheels was not in the storage yard. It had been stolen. An inventive thief had rented a small storage unit that allowed him off hours access and he stole our home.....approx July of 2021.

Upon this discovery I went to the Ferndale WA police, reported it stolen, giving the clerk the VIN. She replied that I was not the owner and it was now owned by a family in Yelm WA. Now I am reeling.

Turns out the thief sold it to a broker with forged papers, the broker sold it to an RV dealership in Fife WA and they sold it to the present owners. The police have the thief in custody and are looking at the broker as possibly complicit in the fraudulent sale.

So finally after much angst and paperwork Progressive Insurance and I have settled on an amount and the money is about to be transferred to us. The Ferndale Police were brilliant; prompt, thorough and professional. Progressive was a dream to work with. They actually seemed to care so even me this cynical ba***rd believes it to be true.

We are missing our home on wheels but at least not out too much money. A decent outcome from a very shitty experience.
That indeed is, as you say, a very shitty experience. It comes across as difficult to say that your eloquence of description made the reading of your painful experience, compulsive. I am so sorry that your RV was stolen, but the way you told the tale had me shamefully smiling.

Seeing how I "owe" you, this tale might just bring a reciprocal smile at my experience today.
Despite being way past the UK retirement age I'm still in full employment, you might say that I'm one of the dying breed of managers that still dons suit and tie for work. Sombre suits, company tie and black shoes although said shoes do have a brogue pattern.

Not today though, a new hat arrived yesterday and I have no excuse to wear it before the Shake & Stir Festival. https://www.eventsbystir.co.uk/shake-stir-festival-2022 But that festival is days away and a new hat just has to be worn, so I wore it to work.

Out went the sombre suits, the black shoes, the white shirt. I wore, with my new hat, a lemon & grey striped shirt, a rather loud neck tie, maroon and cream spectators, a maroon blazer and the cream trousers that Tina made. The reaction ranged from the 'F' profanity to: "Have you bought the company out?" By the end of the day I had been photographed more times than the late Princess Diana.

Can't see what all the fuss was about. Just a shirt, tie, hat, blazer, trousers and two tone shoes. No big deal.
Maroon & cream 002.JPG

That indeed is, as you say, a very shitty experience. It comes across as difficult to say that your eloquence of description made the reading of your painful experience, compulsive. I am so sorry that your RV was stolen, but the way you told the tale had me shamefully smiling.

Seeing how I "owe" you, this tale might just bring a reciprocal smile at my experience today.
Despite being way past the UK retirement age I'm still in full employment, you might say that I'm one of the dying breed of managers that still dons suit and tie for work. Sombre suits, company tie and black shoes although said shoes do have a brogue pattern.

Not today though, a new hat arrived yesterday and I have no excuse to wear it before the Shake & Stir Festival. https://www.eventsbystir.co.uk/shake-stir-festival-2022 But that festival is days away and a new hat just has to be worn, so I wore it to work.

Out went the sombre suits, the black shoes, the white shirt. I wore, with my new hat, a lemon & grey striped shirt, a rather loud neck tie, maroon and cream spectators, a maroon blazer and the cream trousers that Tina made. The reaction ranged from the 'F' profanity to: "Have you bought the company out?" By the end of the day I had been photographed more times than the late Princess Diana.

Can't see what all the fuss was about. Just a shirt, tie, hat, blazer, trousers and two tone shoes. No big deal.
View attachment 434549
I could trade in some of the insurance money and have a jacket made like yours. That might assuage some of my pain!

View attachment 434549
I too worked passed my retirement age...calling it quits just before my 70th. I worked about 2/3 time with lots of time off in the summer so that made the last years very doable. But the work was physical and the 3 day weekends were largely taken up in recovery so it was my body demanding that I call it quits.

Tiki Tom

The universe aligned in such a way that I could not say “no” to early retirement. First, my decades old contract was from a day when my organization mandated retirement at age 62. I could have extended for three more years but… then my 88 year old mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and my wife said “it’s time to go home and take care of mom.” I view This as a higher call and a duty.

BTW: The other day, I showed the above photo of GHT to my wife and said something like “he’s a sartorial super hero.” (I liked the phrase so much that I briefly considered starting an SSH thread. I have started too many threads as it is.) On his worst day, GHT dresses better than I do on my best day.

Turnip

I fear that above song will still have to wait a few years…:eek:

Notice period to be sit out and also got eight days unused vacation left to be taken from this year’s current employment period. First of August will be restart at my new employer…at least semi-retirement will be within striking distance soon…;)

Last edited:

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
Just got back from the bank and I went online to check my balances, and Vija said,
"Sing a song of sixpence, a pocketful of rye, four and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie. When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing. Now wasn't that a dainty dish to set before a king? The king was in his counting house counting out his money; the queen was in the parlor eating bread and honey."

Ain't it grand to be so knowledgable?

Take out the papers and the trash, or you don't get no spending cash...............
That song should be played for ALL our grandchildren!

Turnip

Quite nice, last day working for my old employer/exploiter.

Got some nice Cru Bourgeois, Châteauneuf Du Pape and other French goodies, many hand shakes and good words…

I’m sure my workspace has been looted before I went through the front door…:D

My boss proved to be the lousy wimp he let previously shine through at some occasions and could not bring himself to saying good bye or even to look me in the eyes when I met him on my way to the checkout when I finally left…:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ