Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

humphery bogart cap

Caleb Bogart

New in Town
Ok, this is a little off topic, but here goes...
No doubt some of you have seen the classic film "The Afican Queen" set during ww1 (1914 to be exact) and I have always been fascinated with bogie's costume. specifically, the cap and shirt. Does anybody have any info on the kind of cap he wears? The kind of shirt? Can anybody hear make me a reproduction of the cap and possibly the shirt? (I am serious on that...I WANT THAT CAP!) Any help is appreciated. PS I tried barron hats, but they wanted $600 to make the cap...enough said.

fedoracentric

Banned
Looking at the Baron Hats site, I had to lough at their Lincoln top hat.

They call their offering an "authentic to the original" top hat and this is what theirs looks like...

Lincoln_ani.jpg

And here is the photo they show of Lincoln's real topper...

lincolnhat.jpg

Someone at Baron's has a bit of a vision problem if they think a round-topped, felt hat looks anything like a flat-topped silk hat!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Best avoid Baron hats.............not only are their prices exorbitant but their movie hat 'reproductions' are more often than not, way off the mark....they count on their clientele having more money than hat sense :rolleyes:

Sorry can't really help you with the cap other than to say that it was probably a 'marine engineers' cap (the fellas below deck who keep the engines ticking) but I doubt it's period accurate (1914 ish)
more likely much later.........

Check out Sterkowski hats. They make a style of cap that should fit the bill, and I think they also do whatever colors you want.
d363745dc50fadaa221c50b5ab3a351c.jpg

This is pretty close isn't it, only his was white or khaki if I remember. They make something like this with a leather brim, it would be spot on I'd think, in the lighter color.

Check out the "Cap Faction" thread, there are several pics of guys with this style cap in various colors.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Look in 'The Cap Faction' and see Johnny J or Barry Simmonds work. Both also have threads in the vendors section. I believe Barry made something similar for one client (was it the leather peaked Biker cap made for 'Worf'?). The resident capmakers are great and will do anything you need. It's their versatility that has made them so popular. Barry hasn't been posting here for a while but I believe he has a facebook page.
There is also a vintage caps forum on facebook check that out (I can't recall its name but Keith 'Stuffsmith' has referred to it in the past in some of his posts). You might find more information over there.

And if you do get one made, please make sure you post the results here for us all to see.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy