Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Am Legend ***Spoilers Warning***

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This upcoming movie tickles my post-apocalyptic interest. Does anyone remember Omega Man with Charleton Heston? Smith has become a pretty stong actor. Wonder is the script is up to it?

K

kpreed

I have the tape of "Omega Man' and just "assumed" it was a remake of that story, with a current big name.
Another tape I have and love on the subject is "The 12 Monkeys"

Rosie

One Too Many
I want to see this too. I don't often go to the theater to catch films but, I have seen this commercial a few times and I'm really interested. I like post-apocolyptic themed films. Now, I'm going to check out The Omega Man.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"The Omega Man" was a remake of the earlier Vincent Price film adapted from the same book, "I Am Legend," called "The Last Man on Earth."

Omega Man has been one of my favorite films my whole life.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kpreed said:
Another tape I have and love on the subject is "The 12 Monkeys"

12 Monkeys is my favorite move of all time, end of story, period. I love the short film its based on, and watch both quite often :D

I am Legend looks interesting. Ill probably wait till the DVD.

LD

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Im never too confident in Will Smith's big budget sci-fi. But its been so long since we've had a good post-apoc movie, I'm chomping at the bit.

The-Omega-Man-Poster.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
I don't like the fact that they changed the location from LA to New York, or that they made Robert Neville a scientist rather than the common man from the book. Other than that, I'll never-the-less be there the day it comes out. Anyone else a fan of the book? It's one of my favorites.

Wallace

New in Town
Smith will have to carry this film on his own. We all know that. It's can he? I like Will, but that's not the reason I'm going to see it. The visuals look good though. Thus this for me will be an eye candy pic. Not going, for the dialog.

mike

Call Me a Cab
It's sure to be brainless (but maybe fun?) - you want a wonderful story, read the original Richard Matheson book!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
It's funny that you should bring up the similarities between I Am Legend and past movie plots because when I saw the commercial for I Am Legend all I could think was "Wait a minute! This is just a rip off of Last Man on Earth but with Will Smith and the internet!" Is it a re-make or no one supposed to notice the similarities?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lady Day said:
12 Monkeys is my favorite move of all time, end of story, period. I love the short film its based on, and watch both quite often :D

I am Legend looks interesting. Ill probably wait till the DVD.

LD
One of my best friends is in "12 Monkeys." He is billed as Michael Chance, though that is not his real name. It was filmed in Philadelphia.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jay said:
I don't like the fact that they changed the location from LA to New York, or that they made Robert Neville a scientist rather than the common man from the book. Other than that, I'll never-the-less be there the day it comes out. Anyone else a fan of the book? It's one of my favorites.

I am a fan of the book and for that very same reason I will not be seeing this movie. I cannot bear the changes.

mike

Call Me a Cab
and now for something completely different...

I've got a very interesting story! Soooo I work at 20th Century Fox in the Archives, and I've been doing a bunch of research (all just on my own for fun). And we made a film called The Last Man on Earth, but in 1924. It's a sci fi comedy. And it sounds wonderful... click me plus it was remade as a sci fi comedy musical as It's Great to Be Alive (1933) with Gloria Stuart of Invisible Man/Old Dark House fame!

I've been able to go through the photo archives and see a great deal of original set stills, scene stills, off camera and more of both titles! The '24 version is pre-Metropolis so it doesn't look as wonderful as it should since it's set in the far flung future of the 1960's. (Comparing futuristic art direction is a stark line in the sand pre and post metropolis, look at Fox's Just Imagine or High Treason for examples of Lang's influence!) Although I will say, from the stills, they knew somehow women would be wearing miniskirts...! honest!

Anyway, Raul Rulian is the star of the '33 version and he's sporting a killer tweed herringbone 3 piece suit but I'm afraid I am not allowed to scan anything in to post!

Also the '33 one is a officially lost film, but we do have an original shooting script and I'm trying to talk my bosses boss into producing a recreation of sorts for it.

The '24 version.... EXISTS! I spoke to the guys in film preservation and they're going to look into it further for me...! This is really surprising because I've never seen it available in any strange public domain/bootleg rare movie catalog. Or heard of it ever playing silent film circuits. This is one that -could- have fallen through the cracks! And from that write up, well it just sounds fascinating!

Time will tell but exciting news seems to lurk around every corner!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:
I am a fan of the book and for that very same reason I will not be seeing this movie. I cannot bear the changes.

I told my 12 yr old that I'd be more than happy to take him to see the film, if ... and only if ... he reads the book first. He now has a copy waiting for him at the library.

Richard

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I am really looking forward to this film.

I've been looking for the book but no library I've looked in has had it. I'm so frustrated! :rage:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Love post apocolyptic stuff, love good zombie, hate bad zombie movies (just watched again, Shaun of the Dead) and when I was a kid I saw and love The Omega man.

I don't think it was bad at all, although Charleton heston is so ridiculously over the top that it is always kind of funny. But I am so looking forward to this film.

Get your stinking hands off me you stinkin hands off me, you damn dirty mutant zombie vampires.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
I am really looking forward to this film.

I've been looking for the book but no library I've looked in has had it. I'm so frustrated! :rage:

It'll be around in a cheap paperback version, I'm sure. Check ABE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot