Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought and RMC Buco j-24 and found a scar on the leather. Help me determine if it’s considered character or not.

Is the scar considered character or not?

• It’s character get over it.

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • It’s not character

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Kenan

A-List Customer
Scars in my book are cool. However, in the industry are consider no-no. Some garment makers believe that scars in the leather are prone to failures.
Prone to failures as in the leather being weak were the scar is or due to failures as in the scars are there due to a failure from the tannery and cutter?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Prone to failures as in the leather being weak were the scar is or due to failures as in the scars are there due to a failure from the tannery and cutter?
Scars sometimes create a weak point in the leather. Personally, this is more critical in other types of garments. To me, your jacket is more like a fashion jacket. I would wear your type of jacket while riding my Harley. But for serious rides, I take something more appropriate.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Scars sometimes create a weak point in the leather. Personally, this is more critical in other types of garments. To me, your jacket is more like a fashion jacket. I would wear your type of jacket while riding my Harley. But for serious rides, I take something more appropriate.
I mean the leather doesn’t really feel thinner or anything where the scar is, but it being a weak point is definitely a worry for me too.

Jejupe

Practically Family
I’d say this kind of flaw is totally irrelevant if you’re going to wear the jacket a lot. The horse hide will start show graining quite fast and this hide (as mentioned before) is designed to age quickly. Soon that scar is not noticable among all surfacing grain unevenness, scratches and wear from use.

If you want a jacket that looks new, smooth and uniform as long as possible, you’ve got wrong jacket for that.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I’d say this kind of flaw is totally irrelevant if you’re going to wear the jacket a lot. The horse hide will start show graining quite fast and this hide (as mentioned before) is designed to age quickly. Soon that scar is not noticable among all surfacing grain unevenness, scratches and wear from use.

If you want a jacket that looks new, smooth and uniform as long as possible, you’ve got wrong jacket for that.
Don’t worry, it won’t rip apart because of the scar.
You are probably right, just didn’t expect to have an issue like that with such ab expensive jacket.

That was my biggest worry. If the leather would be weaker due to the scar, so thank you for the replies!

morrison2951

Practically Family
Sucks that it's a new high dollar jacket, but wear the heck out of it and it'll soon be a distant memory. Congrats on the new jacket!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Kenan - you would likely not post this is if didn't bother you. I could go either way, but then I've never spend $2k on any jacket so far. I think it might bug me at least to some degree. If they are willing to take it back - I would tend to do it personally. Good to see the customer service as you indicated a little while back.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Kenan - you would likely not post this is if didn't bother you. I could go either way, but then I've never spend $2k on any jacket so far. I think it might bug me at least to some degree. If they are willing to take it back - I would tend to do it personally. Good to see the customer service as you indicated a little while back.
It does bother me because everything else about that jacket is so great and the fact that this is the second one I went through because the first one had a faulty zipper (which blew my mind). I’ve gotten a lot of great input from people here and as always TFL has the experts to help with a case like this. My conclusion so far is to try and get them to replace the jacket with a new one or ask for a partial refund. Hopefully I can get one of the two.

It does bother me because everything else about that jacket is so great and the fact that this is the second one I went through because the first one had a faulty zipper (which blew my mind). I’ve gotten a lot of great input from people here and as always TFL has the experts to help with a case like this. My conclusion so far is to try and get them to replace the jacket with a new one or ask for a partial refund. Hopefully I can get one of the two.
There’s a distinct and fairly obvious difference between character and what I would call a “second” hide. Second hides show what you have in your jacket. The scar near the pit isn’t so bad but the blown up follicles?bites? Are not OK.
Character looks like this:
91A33FD5-336C-443F-B0E4-C928A92A1439.jpeg
1281500B-7B2B-4E3B-A861-FB997A9A783F.jpeg
E34C0F18-7DBF-4B4F-B323-41B8FADAE391.jpeg
66CEAA7A-AF04-41D8-A847-6BA6EB3858FC.jpeg
A8F5F58F-EBB7-4069-8C95-E8C0FFAE2303.jpeg

Granted these are old jackets so they have a significant head start in that dept to begin with. One thing they don’t have, is obvious flaws that should have been left on the cutting room floor. IMO at any price point, these are second tier hide selections, suitable only for pocket bags, cuff facings, etc. Hopefully you arrive at a suitable resolution. I think particularly for the price paid, the pockmarks in particular are wholly unacceptable.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
There’s a distinct and fairly obvious difference between character and what I would call a “second” hide. Second hides show what you have in your jacket. The scar near the pit isn’t so bad but the blown up follicles?bites? Are not OK.
Character looks like this:
View attachment 432036 View attachment 432037 View attachment 432038 View attachment 432039 View attachment 432040
Granted these are old jackets so they have a significant head start in that dept to begin with. One thing they don’t have, is obvious flaws that should have been left on the cutting room floor. IMO at any price point, these are second tier hide selections, suitable only for pocket bags, cuff facings, etc. Hopefully you arrive at a suitable resolution. I think particularly for the price paid, the pockmarks in particular are wholly unacceptable.
Got to love that campus.

zebedee

One Too Many
You spent 2k on it: if you aren't happy with it, send it back.

After a few months' wear, you won't notice the scars if you keep it. It depends on whether or not it will obsess you. If the obsession is uncomfortable, return it. If you keep it, you'll learn to obsess less.

Up to you. Structurally, the jacket isn't weaker.

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars
I'm with @ton312 here. Scars are cool to see and add character. The pock marks are just straight-up a clicking error - they're unsightly, and something I typically see in bottom of the barrel, mass produced leather products.

[Edit] - Actually I'll amend that last statement. I've seen leather with pockmarks or structural damage on nice jackets, but only on pieces of leather that are used for inside panels that are not normally visible. I admire efficient use of materials and good workmanship. Pockmarks on a front panel like what the OP shows comes off as sloppy - especially for the price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy