Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I always keep an eye out in thrift stores for sheets. I bought a pair the other day both with holes in and the lady in the shop gave me a bit of a side-eye. But i just cut off the holey side on each and sewed them together. I'm not wildly extravagant but good sheets are a must!

I am impressed! I have heard of "sides to middle-ing" sheets, but I didn't know anyone did it now.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have a very long dining room table and my Mum was here, who is an excellent seamstress. So she helped me. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I'd have slept on the sheets holes or not as they were lovely thick cotton. You can be suitable unimpressed now Puzzicato!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandmother was another who did the sides-to-middle sheet-saver trick -- all of her sheets had a seam right down the middle, and she kept them until you could practically see thru them.

If you really want the best possible sheet experience, get some vintage Pequots. Other brands were good, but Pequot Service Muslins are the crispest, nicest sheets you'll ever sleep on, especially if they've been dried on a clothesline and ironed on an electric mangle.

Meanwhile, I too not only don't have a video game console, I've never even played with one. I played Space Invaders once in high school, when it first came out, and it gave me a headache.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Noted, thanks Lizzie, nothing like climbing into bed when freshly laundered and presses linen awaits you! And i'll leave it at that.

I've hijacked this thread enough i think!

Marla

A-List Customer
It's interesting that despite being such adamant self-professed Luddites (myself included) we are very knowledgeable about the things we should have by the standards of society at large. Seems ironic. Is it to be attributed to the pervasive wonder that is modern advertising?

Kirstenkat

New in Town
I have most technological stuff I "should" have as I'm a bit of a nerd but as a 21 year old college girl things I "should" have but I don't are

A Twitter account
Leggings
Uggs
Sweatpants
A fake tan
A DVD player (My laptop plays DVDs)
A Blue Ray

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I have a very long dining room table and my Mum was here, who is an excellent seamstress. So she helped me. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I'd have slept on the sheets holes or not as they were lovely thick cotton. You can be suitable unimpressed now Puzzicato!

Nope, still very impressed!

And for the other side of the ledger, you have a dining table - apparently the proportion of homes that have one has been declining steeply.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's interesting that despite being such adamant self-professed Luddites (myself included) we are very knowledgeable about the things we should have by the standards of society at large. Seems ironic. Is it to be attributed to the pervasive wonder that is modern advertising?

I prefer to think of it as our being islands of sanity in a sea of insanity.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I prefer to think of it as our being islands of sanity in a sea of insanity.

Well said Lizzie!

I seem to be constantly told what i should have regarding modern technology by friends and acquaintances who are shocked at what a Luddite i am. "What you don't have an i-pad"??? Makes me come over all contrary i tell you.

Ironic it is though Marla.

Puzzicato - I guess the tv dinner has had alot do with the decrease in dining tables. I have always managed to squeeze a table and chairs in wherever i've lived. Standards dontcha know!

rue

Well said Lizzie!

I seem to be constantly told what i should have regarding modern technology by friends and acquaintances who are shocked at what a Luddite i am. "What you don't have an i-pad"??? Makes me come over all contrary i tell you.

Ironic it is though Marla.

Puzzicato - I guess the tv dinner has had alot do with the decrease in dining tables. I have always managed to squeeze a table and chairs in wherever i've lived. Standards dontcha know!

I agree... well said Lizzie :D

Miss Sofia.... I get the same thing about not having a cell phone. My own brother can't imagine what is wrong with me lol

zombi

A-List Customer
I forgot -- I don't have a microwave, either! This is the thing that makes most people give me very confused looks. "What do you mean you don't have a microwave?" "How do you re-heat things?" and so on. But I hate them and we don't have one.

Puzzicato

One Too Many

TV dinners, smaller families, prioritising a high def flatscreen TV over tables.

We don't have a dining table, but we do have a breakfast bar.

I forgot -- I don't have a microwave, either! This is the thing that makes most people give me very confused looks. "What do you mean you don't have a microwave?" "How do you re-heat things?" and so on. But I hate them and we don't have one.

We rent our house, and it came with a microwave. I wouldn't buy one though.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love breakfast bars! My mum always said as long as you have somewhere to sit up and eat it's good. I've made do with a picnic table with a cloth slung over it before when i had a tiny flat.

I don't own a big flatscreen telly - i find them really ugly. I know i'm missing out when i watch films...

I do own a microwave though, my parents couldn't believe i didn't have one and bought one. It sits in my utility, glaring at me like a silver monster! I only use it for putting dishcloths in to sterilise them!

Edward

Bartender
I find the microwave tremendously convenient for basic reheating and defrosting. I prefer to cook "for real", but I'm certainly not gonig to give up the convenience of the microwave for when I do use it.

No tattoos or piercings for me ---- NEVER, EVER ----- YIKES :eeek::eeek::eeek:. I'm just too "old school" for that sort of thing :eek:

t all depends on how you define "old school" really - tattoos have been around for a very long time. In England, many of the Upper Classes had them. Victorian and Albert, according to legend, had many tattoos and body piercings, while Lady Randolph Churchill, Winston's mother, had a floral tattoo on her wrist. It seems to have been into the twentieth century that they became associated in the popular mindset with criminals, sailors, and other sorts on whom the middle classes looked down. I'm rather glad this is something that has changed in the modern period, despite currently having no ink of my own.

Hmm i have to 'fess up, i have a touch tone phone in the cupboard which i pull out when i have to make calls which require a touch pad, other than that i have a vintage phone. I hate using it with a passion.

Sensible compromise. I don't really understand the point of inconveniencing yourself to the extent of not being able to make some calls just for the sake of being more "vintage".

Anyone around here without internet? ;)

;)

Funny, though, how every time these "I'm so vintage that...." type of threads crop up, for all that SNS and other facets of the web come in for a slagging, nobody ever takes head on the real elephant in the room: the internet itself. Maybe because so many of us wouldn't have discovered "vintage" otherwise? [huh]

Nope, still very impressed!

And for the other side of the ledger, you have a dining table - apparently the proportion of homes that have one has been declining steeply.

This doesn't surprise me. I think it's a shame. Rarely eat at the table myself, but I live alone. Ate virtually every meal at the table before I flew the parental nest, though. If there was more than just me and the cats about the place I'd probably use the table more often.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I love breakfast bars! My mum always said as long as you have somewhere to sit up and eat it's good. I've made do with a picnic table with a cloth slung over it before when i had a tiny flat.

I don't own a big flatscreen telly - i find them really ugly. I know i'm missing out when i watch films...

I do own a microwave though, my parents couldn't believe i didn't have one and bought one. It sits in my utility, glaring at me like a silver monster! I only use it for putting dishcloths in to sterilise them!

The dynamic of having a meal sitting at a table, opposite someone is so different to sitting on a sofa with them with plates on laps. It invites conversation. We also often sit on the floor at the coffee table.

I don't have a TV, but now that most TV channels have an online catchup service, I don't really miss anything.

I find the microwave tremendously convenient for basic reheating and defrosting. I prefer to cook "for real", but I'm certainly not gonig to give up the convenience of the microwave for when I do use it.

I must say, I do like the microwave for cooking corn on the cob, and asparagus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana