Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

I have a kitchen table, but no formal dining room, which I've always wanted. I do have a microwave, I seldom use it. It's mainly for defrosting or reheating coffee.

TV dinners, smaller families, prioritising a high def flatscreen TV over tables.

We don't have a dining table, but we do have a breakfast bar.

We rent our house, and it came with a microwave. I wouldn't buy one though.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
...a lot of things! But I do own a lot of things that are being listed here, and use them. Don't really have an interest in a game console, though I suppose if I really wanted to play a game I would just install one on my computer and use that.

I like and use some vintagey things instead of modern, but I do like modern things as well. It's a lot of the modern styles and attitudes I don't really care for, but I'm all for central air and heat, my computer, and my cell phones. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

zombi

A-List Customer
Oh, my microwave-less-ness has nothing to do with "being vintage" and everything to do with a lack of space and my personal preference for the taste of things re-heated on the stove or in the oven. I've also always liked my popcorn better on the stove, and since I can't have anything with casein in it, it's easier to just buy plain kernels and pop them myself as much of the bagged popcorn has "butter" things in it. We don't cook many things that require defrosting or anything like that, anyway.

No dining table. :( Gave up dining table space for having my baby grand piano. Acceptable trade, to me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Funny, though, how every time these "I'm so vintage that...." type of threads crop up, for all that SNS and other facets of the web come in for a slagging, nobody ever takes head on the real elephant in the room: the internet itself. Maybe because so many of us wouldn't have discovered "vintage" otherwise? [huh]

Oh, the irony shakeshead

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's funny, I have a real love-hate relationship with the internet. The first time I ever heard of it, in the mid-90s, was when a co-worker was raving on and on about some "chat room" thing where people could argue endlessly about Picard vs. Kirk, or whether Sgt. Rock could beat Superman. I thought it sounded like the biggest waste of time possible, and had no interest in finding out anything more about it.

I eventually had to go online for a new job, though, and was able to see both sides -- on the one hand, it gave me access to sources of valuable information, and on the other hand, it seemed like a sluice basin full of the worst kind of uselessness imaginable. After fourteen years online, that's still the way I see it -- some good -- some *very* good, and a lot of very very bad. On the one hand it made it possible for me to write a book in half the time it would otherwise have taken. And on the other it made it that much easier for people to *steal* my work without me ever knowing about it.

Right now, I'm deep in one of my I Hate Bloody Computers modes, especially since I just lost half of a 2700 word article due this week, because of an unexpected crash. That never happened with my typewriter.

Edward

Bartender
I have one as well, but it's in the pantry and I only use it to heat the dog food and melt butter when I'm in a hurry.

You heat dog food? That's a new one on me.... is it a specific kind of dog food that need cooking?

I have a kitchen table, but no formal dining room, which I've always wanted. I do have a microwave, I seldom use it. It's mainly for defrosting or reheating coffee.

I'd love to have a dining room too. Unfortunately, short of being able to afford a new place with an extra room (unlikely in central London), I'd have to give up my second bedroom for it, and that would be a retrograde step. I do appreciate having a big enough kitchen to have a table and four chairs in there, though.

I like and use some vintagey things instead of modern, but I do like modern things as well. It's a lot of the modern styles and attitudes I don't really care for, but I'm all for central air and heat, my computer, and my cell phones. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

And truth be told, I suspect if you asked folks who lived through the "vintage" era whether they would rather have had those things back in the day or not, they'd think you've be mad to voluntarily give them up.

It's funny, I have a real love-hate relationship with the internet. The first time I ever heard of it, in the mid-90s, was when a co-worker was raving on and on about some "chat room" thing where people could argue endlessly about Picard vs. Kirk, or whether Sgt. Rock could beat Superman. I thought it sounded like the biggest waste of time possible, and had no interest in finding out anything more about it.

I eventually had to go online for a new job, though, and was able to see both sides -- on the one hand, it gave me access to sources of valuable information, and on the other hand, it seemed like a sluice basin full of the worst kind of uselessness imaginable. After fourteen years online, that's still the way I see it -- some good -- some *very* good, and a lot of very very bad. On the one hand it made it possible for me to write a book in half the time it would otherwise have taken. And on the other it made it that much easier for people to *steal* my work without me ever knowing about it.

This is all very true. Aside from the cross-border nature of the web, which has raised so many difficulties for law enforcement, very very few of the supposed "problems" of the internet are not wholly pre-existing phenomenon which are simply now shifted to that platform.

Right now, I'm deep in one of my I Hate Bloody Computers modes, especially since I just lost half of a 2700 word article due this week, because of an unexpected crash. That never happened with my typewriter.

Oh, now that is something with which I can very much identify!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Well said Lizzie!

I seem to be constantly told what i should have regarding modern technology by friends and acquaintances who are shocked at what a Luddite i am. "What you don't have an i-pad"??? Makes me come over all contrary i tell you.

Ironic it is though Marla.

Puzzicato - I guess the tv dinner has had alot do with the decrease in dining tables. I have always managed to squeeze a table and chairs in wherever i've lived. Standards dontcha know!

Or it's just assumed you have such-and-such gadget. I read an article the other day how some cities on the west coast are trying to get rid of paper phone books and yellow pages, because "everyone has iPads and can look up business information online." I went, "huh?" because I use my paper phone book all the time. Of course, I live in Nebraska so current trends usually take 10-15 years to reach us here. ;)

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Funny, though, how every time these "I'm so vintage that...." type of threads crop up, for all that SNS and other facets of the web come in for a slagging, nobody ever takes head on the real elephant in the room: the internet itself. Maybe because so many of us wouldn't have discovered "vintage" otherwise? [huh]

I don't own or use any of the things I listed out of a need to try and "be vintage", I just honestly have no need or desire to have them. I'm not anti-technology, I just see no point to upgrade to stuff that I don't need, and see no point to go bat-poop crazy over the newest gadgets just because everyone else does. Finances play a big part into it as well.....our land line phone service is approx. $30 a month. The cheapest cell phone service around here would be $50 a month. No brainer for me.

Oh and as for Uggs? I think they are UGGGGGGGly! lol

I am having a series of problems with my PC. Windows updates my PC and the new updates causes my video driver to fail. I get a message that something is incompatible with my driver. So now i can't do a restore and I can't get just the part that screws up the video thingy out. And i am so pissed because updates are supposed to fix or improve things but only programmers can make a PC go from working to junk in the name of improvement. I am back to the idea of one bad programmer being waterboarded live on TV every week until they improve.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I don't own any video games or the consoles to play them on. I have owned some in the past, but eventually grew bored with them and now it seems that I always have something I'd rather be doing than sitting in front of TV playing games.

rue

I can identify with that. If someone would have told me ten years ago that I would be on a forum or a chat room, I would have thought they were nuts.

You heat dog food? That's a new one on me.... is it a specific kind of dog food that need cooking?

It's silly, but because one of my dogs is allergic to dog food, I make it from scratch and refrigerate it, so I have to heat it up in order for it to be edible. I'm a slave to my dogs lol

Edward

Bartender
I don't own or use any of the things I listed out of a need to try and "be vintage", I just honestly have no need or desire to have them. I'm not anti-technology, I just see no point to upgrade to stuff that I don't need, and see no point to go bat-poop crazy over the newest gadgets just because everyone else does. Finances play a big part into it as well.....our land line phone service is approx. $30 a month. The cheapest cell phone service around here would be $50 a month. No brainer for me.

Any sensible person would have only the gadgets / items for which he or she actually has a use. I hear you on saving money with phones, though I am the other way around: the sole reason I have a landline is for cheaper, more effective home broadband. Wouldn't have one in the house otherwise. Did just fine with only the mobile for years.

Oh and as for Uggs? I think they are UGGGGGGGly! lol

No argument from me there - ugly and impractical.

It's silly, but because one of my dogs is allergic to dog food, I make it from scratch and refrigerate it, so I have to heat it up in order for it to be edible. I'm a slave to my dogs lol

Ah! Gotcha. I thought maybe it was some new type of which I was not aware. I know what you mean about animals being in charge; my felines allow me the illusion of being the Big Cat, but really it's them as calls the shots...

I can identify with that. If someone would have told me ten years ago that I would be on a forum or a chat room, I would have thought they were nuts.

It's silly, but because one of my dogs is allergic to dog food, I make it from scratch and refrigerate it, so I have to heat it up in order for it to be edible. I'm a slave to my dogs

You know they make hypoallergenic dog food right?

8 Brands of HypoAllergenic Dog Food Your Vet Might Not Tell You About

1. Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet and Rice Dog formula and Flint River Ranch Trout and Sweet Potato Dog Formula are excellent hypoallergenic dog foods. They don't contain wheat, corn, or chemical preservatives, all of which are common causes of allergies. If you know or suspect that your dog is allergic to lamb or rice, go for the Trout and Sweet Potato formula. Flint River Ranch pet food is not sold in retail stores - it is only available by ordering online
ir

2. Avoderm
ir
hypoallergenic dog food is manufactured by Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods. It is reportedly good for skin and stomach allergies. Avoderm’s main health factor is the avocado fruit which is one of the most nutritious fruit in nature. It is full of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and essential oils that are needed to keep your pet free of allergies. Avoderm hypoallergenic dog food is commonly available everywhere from retail stores to online shops.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_ZKBgBLg03A0...Y6s/s1600-h/acana-hypoallergenic-dog-food.gif3. Acana hypoallergenic dog food is manufactured by Champion Pet Foods. It's a Canadian company specializing in hypoallergenic dog food of all varieties and for all dogs. Acana food is organic and free of artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, chemicals and binders. It is also free of the usual allergy-causing foods like wheat and gluten. The manufacturer claims the food is prepared with human grade foods. Acana hypoallergenic dog food is available at pet specialty shops.
AskSusanPeters rating: 10/10

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZKBgBLg03...u8/s1600-h/orijen-hypoallergenic-dog-food.jpg
4. Orijen
ir
is another high quality hypoallergenic dog food prepared by Champion Pet Foods. It's rated highly by users and recommended for healthy skin and hair. Customer reviews praise Orijen for helping their dog keep their food allergies away. Orijen is available at pet specialty shops and online shopping stores, including Amazon
ir

5. Pinnacle
ir
hypoallergenic dog food is 100% allergen free, according to the manufacturer, Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods. It also contains essential probiotics, vitamins and minerals to keep your dog’s food allergies at bay. You can select any of their variety of dry dog foods. It is available in pet stores, online shopping stores, including Amazon
ir
, and sometimes even grocery stores. Pinnacle rates highly with users. According to people who used it, the only problems they had were resolved on changing the flavor to suit the dog’s needs.

6. Nature’s Variety has 3 different varieties of dog food, of which Instinct Grain-Free dog food is best suited for a dog with allergies to grains. If the dog is allergic to a particular type of meat or poultry, Instinct offers variants with other ingredients and flavors. It also contains omega fatty acids for healthy skin and hair. Instinct is available as both dry and canned food.

Nature’s Variety has another brand for hypoallergenic dog food - Raw Frozen Diets. Raw Frozen Diets fall in the BARF (bones and raw food) category for dogs with dermatitis and allergies due to preservatives and colorants. You can decide which type of meat you want to give your dog and try out trial packs. Nature’s Variety dog food is available in specialty pet stores and you can also purchase it online.

7. Canidae dog food is also made of natural ingredients. Many pet owners recommend it for healthy skin and hair, although some pet owners saw their dogs develop stomach upsets. The best choices for a dog with food allergies would be the lamb and rice or the chicken and rice varieties. If your dog does well on Canidae dog food it could be a good choice because Canidae is more economical than Nature’s Variety or Avoderm.

8. Go! Natural hypoallergenic dog food is available in different types for you to choose from depending on your dog’s allergies. Now! variety is not only grain-free but also free of meat by-products and contains additional enzymes and probiotics for a healthy dog. Manufactured in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner