Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Is there anything that everybody is supposed to have in this modern world and you don't? I don't have;

a pair of jeans
a pajama (I only wear Channel No5 in bed, you know :D)
a hoodie
facebook or twitter account
iPhone, iPod, iPad... nothing started with an i

what else?

no TV
no Jeans
no baseball cap
no t-shirt, no iPod nor iPad or iPhone
no Blackberry or raspberry or strawberry (unless they are edible fruits from the grocery store)
no direct i-net access
no sweatshirt or sweatpants
no 'sneakers'
no facebook
no myspace
no twitter
no 'basketball shorts'
no automatic dishwasher
no GPS as I don't own a car
no tattoos
no stereo - I listen to music on my laptop when I feel like it - which isn't often
no digital clock - except the microwave which does some of my cooking (as I live alone)
no 'modern' sewing machine (mine is from the late '30s)
no teflon items
no air conditioner

I do have a laptop because I order my toiletries and supplements from online health food stores simply because they are cheaper than local health food stores (and therefore have saved me immense amounts of money). I also have a 'Tracfone' because if I go to an event, or somewhere with someone and we split up - we can get in touch again as well as emergencies (that is the only type of phone I have). The only modern piece of furniture I have is the futon which also serve as a spare bed in my small apt. should the need arise...and I am not sure if even a love seat would fit through the narrow doorway at any rate. Auto washer and tumble dryer are a part of the apt. (the little laundry room in the building).

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
No, you still wear clothes. Come around again in a fig leaf and we'll talk.

lol
Oh, I forgot that one!! Really!

I don't have an iPad, for real, but I don't know anyone with one! I have use for my iPod -- brings me closer to vintage music and radio shows. My husband isn't such a fan and I listen to it at work and in the car......I mean my HORSE AND BUGGY.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Fitted sheet rants don't hold a candle to hypoallergenic dog food discussions. The things you learn in this "sluice basin of uselessness" (was that it, Lizzie?). Thanks for making me smile! :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My iPad:

1766111.jpg

subject101

One of the Regulars
And truth be told, I suspect if you asked folks who lived through the "vintage" era whether they would rather have had those things back in the day or not, they'd think you've be mad to voluntarily give them up.

Golden era fans should have nothing against technology. Those are the amish (maybe we have some of them infiltrated here in the Lounge). :D

The problem is that some recent inventions are pretty lame. Their design is awful and some services they provide are plain stupid.

I'm pretty sure all that i-gadgetry may be useful for somebody in a particular situation but for the regular guy? :eusa_doh:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I hate, hate, hate anti-lock brakes. I have them on my pickup and just hate them. I never feel safe.

Agreed Tom I got in a wreck last summer in my husbands truck and there was no good reason for it other than those Damn Anitilock brakes. Well Ok some better tires would have helped but still I know my car with out them would have stopped in time.

Perhaps it is a prejudice of those of us in the Midwest who know how to pump our brakes when needed.

I've had close calls, due to anti-lock brakes, especially in the winter. People just don't know how to drive vintage-type vehicles. My best winter vehicle, you had to pump the gas to fire up and you had to know how to feather it to keep it running until it warmed up, then you had to know how to work the brakes for certain hazards. Now everything is supposedly 'idiot proofed' but is even more dangerous in the case of anti-lock brakes.

Agreed Tom I got in a wreck last summer in my husbands truck and there was no good reason for it other than those Damn Anitilock brakes. Well Ok some better tires would have helped but still I know my car with out them would have stopped in time.

Perhaps it is a prejudice of those of us in the Midwest who know how to pump our brakes when needed.

I've lived like this. I lived for a time in a one room building that was actually a boat house because of a severe bat infestation in my house.

I used an outhouse and bathed in the Wisconsin River which runs through the back yard.
I don't have:

Running water
Indoor Toilet
Electricity

lol
Do I win? lol lol lol

My mother says I should marry an Amish girl.....
Golden era fans should have nothing against technology. Those are the amish (maybe we have some of them infiltrated here in the Lounge). :D

The problem is that some recent inventions are pretty lame. Their design is awful and some services they provide are plain stupid.

I'm pretty sure all that i-gadgetry may be useful for somebody in a particular situation but for the regular guy? :eusa_doh:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

I agree here. I have to say, I love my ipod, if only for listening to audiobooks when I am traveling. On metros and buses I get motion sick, so reading is tough. Once I start really doing a lot of traveling (touring) I will probably want an iPad or whatever the equivalent will be in a few years, so that I can keep on top of things without having to bring my laptop, and also it will greatly expand the reasonable library I can carry for reading abroad while saving my back. There are plenty of gadgets that I just plain don't need. Like a dishwasher. I don't need one of those.

Marla

A-List Customer
While wearing vintage clothing apparently comes with a whole set of ideologies, I wouldn't not own a useful bit of technology for fear of it making me unworthy of the clothing on my back. Does owning a dishwasher or a microwave or an iPad or somesuch really make you less "vintage" than someone who doesn't own one? I don't have many of the things that have been listed in this thread, but if I ever need them I will get them. I suspect many of us actually engage with the modern world more than we would like to admit.

As has been pointed out, getting rid of your internet connection would be the most vintage thing you could do, but who wants to do that? Sure, it would positively max out your vintage cred, but it would also mean NO EBAY or vintage-lifestyle forums on which to brag about your "vintageness".

Also (as has been pointed out), I doubt those who lived through the Golden Era would think less of us for using labor-saving technology! If they would have had washing machines and internet, they would have used them.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
........but if someone does, I don't cast a downward eye at them.

Hi Rue :wave:,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. We all have our own take on things, and most of us, I suspect, will have a mixture of vintage and modern items.

After all, one thing we all have here, is a computer and internet!

Danny O

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My own philosophy is based on one thing: I refuse to waste money on disposable things, whether they're appliances, technology, or clothing. If they built a hand-held communications device like Western Electric built telephones, I might consider one. But not until.

It amazes me how personal people take this stuff.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Well, as for me, I don't have most of these things, because that's just how I am, but if someone does, I don't cast a downward eye at them.

Exactly i don't have alot of these things either because i don't need them, if i thought i did i would buy them, i have managed thus far without them. For example i did have a digital radio, but i spent the majority of the time tuning the blooming thing in, so i got rid. Same with the phone, i had a modern one and i spent most of my time upending the setee looking for it, and i just find aesthetically and sonically my vintage one is nicer, so i got rid of that too. (Almost, it lives in a cupboard). I'm not snobbish about technology, some of it just isn't for me. I stand by my dislike of the fitted sheets and the microwave tho'.

rue

Yes, exactly... and well.... to be honest I find modern electronics plain ugly. I have a flat screen TV (not by my choice) and it's hidden in a cabinet. If I go into someone else's home and they have it up in all of it's glory, I'm not going to scream and run out of the house for God's sake lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24