Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate my head. Measuring...

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Since I'm getting ready to order my DM Adventurer I decided, just for the fun of it, to measure my head today. I thought I was a 7 1/4 / 58 cm but after measuring twice with strips of paper taped firmly together I'm more of a 7 3/8 / 59 cm. The first measure was closer to 60 cm, the second between 58 & 59. I've had a recent haircut so imagine my surprise.

It seems like I get different numbers every time I measure. My 7 1/4 vintage Cavanagh fits well but compared to the 7 3/8 Cabela fur felt hat that genphideaux gave me, which was big before I wet it and shrunk it over a lamp to a near perfect fit, it now feels a bit tight. They are different styles and quality of hats so I would expect them to fit a bit different.

I guess I'll be ordering the 59 cm Adventurer instead of the 58. It's closer in style to the Cabela than the Cavanagh. I also expect it to shrink to my head. I suppose it's better to have the sizing strips and not need them than to have a tight hat.

Am I worrying about this too much?

citRon

A-List Customer
...no, you're not! I have a Resistol western 7 1/8, and a vintage Stetson 7 1/8, both fit just right. I ordered an Akubra Liesure Time in a 7 1/8 and it was HUUUUUGE on me! I've heard that Akubra's run large. What I'm going to do is call them and ask what size to go with, they would probably be able to recommend the right size. -Oh, and go buy yourself a tape measure, it'll be more accurate than using paper strips and then measuring that.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
EVEN-STEVEN said:
Every 24 seconds of worrying adds 2mm of circumference to your noggin.;)

Why do you think I never post pictures to "What (hat) are you wearing today"? I'm a size 15-7/8 by this point! :D

I would agree on both points: no, you're not worrying too much; and yes, a tape measure would be more helpful. I've had to exchange three hats (and ruined one by trying to shrink it...my Jaxon Bogart, my beautiful Jaxon Bogart) because I couldn't nail down my head size... turns out I'm a long oval. :eusa_doh:

-Tofu

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

To re-work an old proverb: Worrying is evil, but measuring carefully and correctly is divine.

I'm 100% in agreement with Indycop's approach:
1. Use a cloth tape! That should cost you two bucks or less at a fabric or crafts store. Plus for sure it's going to be a lot better suited for the job than a couple pieces of paper scotch-taped together.

2. Check your work by also measuring another hat or cap that fits you well.

I'd only add a couple of minor points to what Indycop had to say:

3. Measure at the place on your head where you want your hat to ride. Usually that means making sure your tape goes across the middle of your forehead and the middle of the back of your head. If you measure different circumferences, you'll get different results, most of which will get you a hat that looks funny when you wear it, either riding low enough to hide your eyes, or riding as high as Stan Laurel's derby.

4. Keep measuring until the numbers match. If you measure twice, and get 58 the first time but 60 the second time, it means that your tape slipped on your head, or else that your jury-rigged measuring contraption is starting to pull apart.

Finally, a word about what to expect from an Akubra. When you get your factory-fresh Akubra, yes, it'll be a little bit too big.

That means big as in half a cm, give or take, if I'm recalling my own experience with Akubras correctly. If it's more than a cm too big, I'd definitely be contacting the seller about a possible return.

Akubras are designed to shrink slightly to fit your exact head size, but they're not designed to shrivel up radically. Too much shrinkage would start to cause various parts of the hat to buckle.

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran