Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a clue, but want opinions

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
My wife's got a high school reunion coming up and I figured I'd use this as an opportunity to buy a new suit. I found one I really like and a pair of shoes as well. The suits a charcoal grey and the shoes, well as you can see, black and white. Do you think that's way too much dark? I thought maybe I'd go with some grey shoes to offset the darkness of my getup, but I'm not too sure if that's the way to go. Like say the two tone wingtip or solid oxford below. I'll be topping it off with my favorite lid, a Dobbs "Fifteen" and my black DB topcoat, the very ones in my avatar. I was also thinking if I should go with suspenders or just a plain 'ole belt. I don't want to look "zooty" and wouldn't mind opinions there as well. The shoes are by far my biggest issue though and this is where I need the help most. All comments are appreciated, thanks Loungers.

DB-28-CHARCOAL.jpg
bd87_1.JPG

a634_1.JPG
PSGBS_660058.jpg

HPIM2354.jpg

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
I'd throw the color in with a burgundy tie and nice pocket square rather than worry so much about the shoes. A good dark burgundy cap toe would work well too, though, I think.

cptjeff

Practically Family
It's not too much dark. Charcoal is a nice color for a suit. I would stick with the solid color oxfords though- the black and white wingtips, while nice, would make you look rather zooty with the DB suit.

And please tell me you're not going to wear the contrasting collar shirt with the huge knot on the tie. I can't stand either of those looks.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I think it depends on whether you want to look like one of Capone's goons from the 1930s or a modern businessman. I like a lot of charcoal adn black, with any color coming from the tie. Spectators would not be my choice, Black lace up oxfords would be my preference, or even oxblood. The oxblood would add something other than grayscale to the outfit as well. I don't mind the contrasting color shirt collar, unless the body of the shirt is gray, then yuck. Be advised that these are nothing but my personal opinion and I'm no expert by any stretch...just an interested observer.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Well, since I already own some black oxfords, I'll be going with those I'm sure. Thanks for saving me some dough folks! But I do have some burgundy ones somewhere though...hmmmm? I'll have to dig around through some moving boxes a little. I'll be wearing a plain white french cuffed shirt and I have a gaggle of ties that should work which I'll probably post up and see what yous think. any other suggestions are still welcomed too. I don't want to miss a step. ;)

....I was just looking at some tie/cufflink/pocket square combos and wonder if I should stay away from something with lines in them thinking they might clash with the pinstripes.

nts-0018-a.jpg

or should I stay with something solid like...

tie406x.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cptjeff said:
contrasting collar shirt with the huge knot on the tie. I can't stand either of those looks.
I'm with you on the knot but the shirt is doable..

Shoes507.jpg

Shoes503.jpg

David V

A-List Customer
mannySpaghetti said:
....I was just looking at some tie/cufflink/pocket square combos and wonder if I should stay away from something with lines in them thinking they might clash with the pinstripes.

nts-0018-a.jpg

or should I stay with something solid like...

tie406x.jpg

Please, no matching tie square and cuff links.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a charcoal/black SB pinstriped suit. I wear it with a white shirt and grey on grey patterned tie or a red tie. I personally prefer a white linen or cotton pocket square, simply because it isn't too attention-seeking. I think a blue shirt is fine too, but I don't like this too much as it lacks the formality of the white shirt. Sometimes I wear a white shirt with blue stripes, as this contrasts a red tie nicely.

I'm also inclined to think that matching tie, pocket square and cufflinks are a bad thing. Cufflinks are usually made of metal as well, so I think if anything they should match your watch or belt buckle but not the pocket square or tie which are made of cloth.

As for whether to wear a belt or braces, I hardly think it matters with a DB suit. It should stay fastened all the time so whatever waist covering you wear won't show. Just wear whatever you find comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy