Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Yeah the FedIV looks spot on when the bash is correct. Its just throwing me off when I see people wearing a size 58 and the brim looks perfect long length. I put the smaller crown width into considerstion hoping it would get that Raiders look but when I tried on a hat with a little over 2.5 inch brim and size 56, it looked to small a width with the Indy turn.

I have the Akubra in a 57 and its still a bit big, swivels slightly on my head so I wanted to get the FedIV in size 56 and give it the Indy turn and crease the leather sweatband in half to get that muffin top like Ford did to get his hat snug around his head for all the action in Raiders. I wanted to beat the hat up physically not only by adding fullers earth.

Im thinkin that was the trade off when they upgraded the Fediv, they got help from Delk? But to get Fans to buy all the handmade hats that are 4X the price the custom hats have the correct measurements and the Fediii is no more. Problem is the replicas have a 5.5 inch bashed crown that looks wrong on a lot of Fans heads. Harrison wore his hat so tight like second skin. Fans either never post photos of themselves wearing there Expensive Indy reproductions or the hat majority of the time is so ill fitting that it puts me off paying half a grand for a marked up hat.
Before I bought a Fed IV the folks on The Lounge helped me a ton, as did the good ladies at Hats Direct. I also took to YouTube to do research. Merwan has a couple of good vids on the Fed IV. I hope this link works:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Around the time I ordered my Moonstone Fed IV the comment I read most often about the Carbon Gray was that it was so dark that it looked almost black, and the photos I saw online (I know, I know) supported this. I didn't want a "black" hat, so I ordered the Moonstone. I like it, but if I'd read or seen any evidence that the Carbon Gray wasn't quite as dark as everyone said, and that it had the hint of blue you mentioned, it would have made my color decision much more difficult.

Well, I could post another picture, but that most likely will not do much good. ;)

Of course, you could come by for a brew or a coffee or whathaveyou, and see for yourself.

Btw, have I mentioned recently that the sweatbands tend to shrink up a little? haha

Well, I could post another picture, but that most likely will not do much good. ;)

Of course, you could come by for a brew or a coffee or whathaveyou, and see for yourself...
That's very kind of you to offer. But for the cost of a trip from Los Angles to Long Island and back I can get two Akubras and enough of either brew to spend the weekend drinking myself into a stupor or a caffeine induced heart attack. :D

Edward

Bartender
My others have white liners, so this was a pleasant surprise. It makes me wonder if Akubra has other liner colors available, and what their selection process is (if they have one).

Was the Bluegrass Green CD a special edition? That might account for it being different.

That's very kind of you to offer. But for the cost of a trip from Los Angles to Long Island and back I can get two Akubras and enough of either brew to spend the weekend drinking myself into a stupor or a caffeine induced heart attack. :D

Hobby = when an item of interest becomes the standard unit of value by which you measure all other options in life. ;)

D00R

One of the Regulars
Before I bought a Fed IV the folks on The Lounge helped me a ton, as did the good ladies at Hats Direct. I also took to YouTube to do research. Merwan has a couple of good vids on the Fed IV. I hope this link works:

Yes this guys video is great.

RJR

No Sir, not that I'm aware of. I placed my order through Everything Australian, and that's what they sent me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Actually,the BGCD is a standard hat BUT several years ago they made a Fedora Lounge Edition with 2 5/8" brim. Hat-Akubra-BGCD-FL3.jpg
Pic above.

Edward

Bartender
No Sir, not that I'm aware of. I placed my order through Everything Australian, and that's what they sent me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting, just one of those quirks, then. Maybe it was a batch thing or something they did for certain retailers; I remember reading about variations in the colour of the ribbon on some Akubra Capricorn models, for example.

D00R

One of the Regulars
I wrote hats direct but never got a reply back on sizing. I'm uncertain if the FedIV Imperial runs small, is true to size or will shrink like the Campdraft.

I wrote hats direct but never got a reply back on sizing. I'm uncertain if the FedIV Imperial runs small, is true to size or will shrink like the Campdraft.
I've been told by the people at Hats Direct that the Fed IV tends to run approximately half a size small, but that hasn't been my experience since all three of my Campdrafts (standard/Imperial Grade) shrunk down to be a bit smaller/tighter than my Fed IVs (also standard/Imperial Grade) even though they were all size 60.

With all of the recent discussion about sizing, over the weekend I tried on all six of my Akubras one after the other. All three of my Campdrafts and my deluxe/Heritage Grade Fed IV fit the same, and my two standard/Imperial Grade Fed IVs fit the same except they're a little looser than the Campdrafts and deluxe Fed. So based on my experience (which admittedly seems to differ from everyone else's), if you're going to order a Fed IV regardless of whether it'll be standard/Imperial Grade or deluxe/Heritage Grade I'd suggest you order the same size as your Campdraft.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Thats whats been holding me up about making the purchase. I emailed hatsdirect twice in the past month and now this month and never heard back.
I wanted to know there opinion and fit that would be right for me.

Interesting, just one of those quirks, then. Maybe it was a batch thing or something they did for certain retailers; I remember reading about variations in the colour of the ribbon on some Akubra Capricorn models, for example.
It appears the orange liner isn't the only unusual thing about my Bluegrass Green Campdraft. For reasons I can't remember now (something to do with the conversation in another thread) last week I measured the brim and it came up a bit short. The Campdraft is advertised as having a 2-7/8" brim, and the brims on my other two Campdrafts are 2-7/8" to 3", but on my Bluegrass Green it's 2-3/4". :confused: So now I'm wondering if it was a special order that was returned or never shipped, a simple manufacturing variation that was "identified" as such by use of the orange liner, or...? I like the hat so it's merely a curiosity at this point, but it does make me wonder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points