Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

James McShay

New in Town
Another vote for Carbon over moonstone. But Scotty offers sage advice....color selection does ultimately come down to the individual.
I have both the federation IV imperial and the stylemaster in both carbon grey and moonstone grey and I think the federation looks better in carbon grey and the stylemaster looks better in moonstone grey. I do have a lower profile crown on my carbon grey fed which may explain my preference for that color. But I think akubra's glen grey is their best grey which is why I bought a snowy river in glen grey and have a glen grey stockman on order.

Edward

Bartender
I have both the federation IV imperial and the stylemaster in both carbon grey and moonstone grey and I think the federation looks better in carbon grey and the stylemaster looks better in moonstone grey. I do have a lower profile crown on my carbon grey fed which may explain my preference for that color. But I think akubra's glen grey is their best grey which is why I bought a snowy river in glen grey and have a glen grey stockman on order.

How does the Stylemaster compare in shape against the Fed? I believe I remember reading that the Stylemaster comes pre-bashed, but it's also a lower, more 50s style crown isn't it? My preference in a fedora in general is tall and wide, but a lower crown with a 2" brim can also be nice for a more casual look with an A2 and slacks, or w.h.y..

How does the Stylemaster compare in shape against the Fed? I believe I remember reading that the Stylemaster comes pre-bashed, but it's also a lower, more 50s style crown isn't it? My preference in a fedora in general is tall and wide, but a lower crown with a 2" brim can also be nice for a more casual look with an A2 and slacks, or w.h.y..
Basic differences between the two:

Stylemaster - Pre-creased, shorter/lower, and more tapered crown
Fed IV - Open crown, taller, and less tapered

Stylemaster - Bound 2-1/2" brim with a deeper flange
Fed IV - Raw edge dimensional brim (2-1/2" on the sides, 2-3/4" front and back) with a relatively flat flange

Stylemaster - 1.2" ribbon
Fed IV - 1-1/2" ribbon

According to this You Tube review the crown is creased at 9 cm (about 3-1/2"), which kills it for me. My head needs straight sided crowns with at least 4-1/4" of height at the front or the hat just doesn't look right on me. If it had a taller and straighter crown like the Fed I'd probably already own one or two.

I’ve been without a Fed IV since I sold one in Moonstone last year. I wasn’t looking for another black hat, but this showed up on eBay and the seller accepted a $20 offer. Hard to pass on a $20 hat.

c38f92c23f403cb6357b9f9b93eabb1c.png

2b27ff8409570ec741907cbfd8f1c09e.png

b67033173c43877c76dfe8c73077b507.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loneguitar

New in Town
First post here. I am looking into buying my first fedora and need little advice. Through my browsing of this site I understand the difference between the DM Adventurer and the Fed IV. I am seeking advice on which would be a better fit for my stature. I am 6'3 215-220. I am trying to decide if I should go with the extra brim width that the Adventurer provides or if the Fed will be fine. I have been leaning toward getting the Fed in Carbon Grey which I know is a color they don't make in the Adventurer. Any advice is appreciated.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
First post here. I am looking into buying my first fedora and need little advice. Through my browsing of this site I understand the difference between the DM Adventurer and the Fed IV. I am seeking advice on which would be a better fit for my stature. I am 6'3 215-220. I am trying to decide if I should go with the extra brim width that the Adventurer provides or if the Fed will be fine. I have been leaning toward getting the Fed in Carbon Grey which I know is a color they don't make in the Adventurer. Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome, LG.

There are no definitive answers to your main question.

To me, the smallest variations in a hat greatly influence the way I think it looks on me. Most hats I receive get some tweaking before I will wear them out in public.

I'm 5'10", just under 160 lbs, and Fed IVs can border on looking too big on me, but that's just my opinion. Some folks like hats that sort of swallow them up, me included. But almost no one likes a hat that looks too small, dimensionally, for their face/head.

All that being said, I'd say that if you want gray and not brown, go for a Fed IV.

Or if you're nearby, come on over and check out my CG Fed IV.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great choice in a "first fedora" Most here would consider a middle of the road fedora brim to be around 2.5" wide and this hat falls into this category with a little extra brim at the front and back to give a little more sun protection. What is interesting is some say its a lot or hat. With an open crown that you can shape as low or as high or as tapered as you desire I have difficulty believing its too much of anything unless you desire a low crown tapered center crease. Long story short its a great hat for most face shapes.

My first Real hat was a Akubra Federation (before they had versions) Wore it for years until it started looking shabby Then I replaced it with an Akubra Deluxe III and its still going strong.
Great choice and enjoy your new hat when it comes in.
Any more questions feel free to ask
Johnny

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What is interesting is some say its a lot or hat. With an open crown that you can shape as low or as high or as tapered as you desire I have difficulty believing its too much of anything unless you desire a low crown tapered center crease. Long story short its a great hat for most face shapes.

Agreed.

However, some of us who are not 'Charles Atlas'es look very good in those 2" brimmed, sub-4-inch crowned Dobbses and Stetsons. The gent who posted to start this particular conversation is a big dude, though, and a Fed IV may have to give its all, so to speak, to look 'right' on him.

Agreed.

However, some of us who are not 'Charles Atlas'es look very good in those 2" brimmed, sub-4-inch crowned Dobbses and Stetsons. The gent who posted to start this particular conversation is a big dude, though, and a Fed IV may have to give its all, so to speak, to look 'right' on him.

I know the normal progression is to taller crowns and bigger brims. However, I like a well-built stingy as much today as when I started. I think most hat types have their places as as long as you avoid the extremes most styles can look good on all body types.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know the normal progression is to taller crowns and bigger brims. However, I like a well-built stingy as much today as when I started. I think most hat types have their places as as long as you avoid the extremes most styles can look good on all body types.

I know. When I started wearing fedoras I started with a 2" brim short center crease crown. Very Jack Lemmon 1960's city business hat. It took me a while to get used to the taller crown and wider brim. Face shape makes a huge difference on how it looks. When I loose weight and my face slims down and my larger brims look huge and my smaller brims look more natural. Then again it all depends on how you think you look.
Johnny

I know. When I started wearing fedoras I started with a 2" brim short center crease crown. Very Jack Lemmon 1960's city business hat. It took me a while to get used to the taller crown and wider brim. Face shape makes a huge difference on how it looks. When I loose weight and my face slims down and my larger brims look huge and my smaller brims look more natural. Then again it all depends on how you think you look.
Johnny

Me? Don’t you know that I’m deadlyhandsome? :)

I do get what you’re saying, although it’s been a few years since my last “slim down.” I personally wear stingy brim low crown fedoras, westerns, three-inch brimmed 6” crown fedoras, Homburgs, lords hats, and most anything else that tickles me when I wake up. I don’t like the idea of just one style of hat or just one set of dimensions. I do think that some hats look better on me than others, but I’ll wear most anything. My recent derby/bowler acquisition was a stretch, and I’m not very comfortable wearing it yet, but I’m not giving up.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Welcome! I'm 6'5 260 and have had both hats at one time. I definitely preferred the FedIV. The fact that you can crease it anyway you like to me is a no brainer! And it's not hard to do

This was me dressed as Indiana Jones for Halloween 2008.

HrXihh8.jpg

The reason I'm posting this photo here is because I was 6'2" and 200 lbs. (give or take five pounds) at the time, and I thought it would give Loneguitar a better idea of how the Fed IV looks on someone who is (or was) approximately his height and weight.

Edward

Bartender
Basic differences between the two:

Stylemaster - Pre-creased, shorter/lower, and more tapered crown
Fed IV - Open crown, taller, and less tapered

Stylemaster - Bound 2-1/2" brim with a deeper flange
Fed IV - Raw edge dimensional brim (2-1/2" on the sides, 2-3/4" front and back) with a relatively flat flange

Stylemaster - 1.2" ribbon
Fed IV - 1-1/2" ribbon

According to this You Tube review the crown is creased at 9 cm (about 3-1/2"), which kills it for me. My head needs straight sided crowns with at least 4-1/4" of height at the front or the hat just doesn't look right on me. If it had a taller and straighter crown like the Fed I'd probably already own one or two.

Really helpful info, thanks! Sounds like a carbon Stylemaster might be a great option for wearing about with an A2.

Complete with the infamous red liner to boot!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

"Infamous"? What's the deal there?

You don't often see the Fed in black - this looks great.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This was me dressed as Indiana Jones for Halloween 2008.

HrXihh8.jpg

The reason I'm posting this photo here is because I was 6'2" and 200 lbs. (give or take five pounds) at the time, and I thought it would give Loneguitar a better idea of how the Fed IV looks on someone who is (or was) approximately his height and weight.

Holy smokes! I would never in a million years have known that was you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points