I love the Fed IV!!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Johnny., Mar 27, 2009.

1. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I guess I don't. When I was selling tires back in the early-80s the district manager would regularly visit the shop around 10:00 a.m.. He'd been a career salesman for decades and was adamant about the management and sales staff having a clean professional appearance, so for the first week or so of his tenure he'd call the store manager and me into the office almost every day and chastise us for not shaving. The thing was that we both had thick dark facial hair, so even though we both shaved every morning we'd have "five o'clock shadow" by mid-morning. :p

The last two or three times I've grown out my facial hair after having been clean-shaven it went from "You didn't shave today" to "Oh, you're growing your beard again" within four or five days, and by the end of the second week I was bearded again. It was short, but clearly a beard and from that point on it just got thicker and darker. :cool:

Just A Hat Rack likes this.
  2. Loneguitar

Loneguitar New in Town

Next question. I don’t wear a lot of brown so I am leaning toward Black or Carbon Grey. I have a black leather jacket and a black pea coat I wear in the fall/winter. Opinion?

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I'd go with carbon gray. Black hats are very severe, imo, and my CG goes great with my black, gray, and various blue jackets and coats.

4. D00R

D00R One of the Regulars

Sold for over $500,000
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Tukwila and RJR like this.
  5. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

It's not a Fed IV.^

6. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

True, but if someone offered me that much money they could have all of my hats and caps. And my truck. And my wife's SUV. And... :D

Wyldkarma, Redfokker, Tukwila and 3 others like this.
  7. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Same for me, but not if they offered it to me in the ILtFIV thread.

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. How do you compare the Fed IV with a Penman Everyman Indy hat? The Everyman is about the top of the market for what I’d be willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PHIL1959, Redfokker and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

The Everyman Indy is pretty much the same as the Adventurebilt Henry, which I have one of.

There isn't much comparison between a Fed IV and a Henry. The Henry/Everyman is better is every regard, inside and out. The 80/20 rabbit/beaver blend gives the hat all the characteristics of a 100% beaver hat. Finish, smoothness, and the ability to take a crease are superb. Interior materials, fit and finish are top-notch, as well.

As it is a machine made hat, I don't know about custom sizing, as John does with his handmade hats.

10. Tukwila

Tukwila My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have the Everyman Indy from John and IMO it's a great hat. I've never had a Fed IV, but it is certainly better in every respect to my Akubra Imperial Coober Pedy.

John creased it for me at his shop with a center dent. I've since lowered it a bit into a diamond crease.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I knew yo were the right person to ask. Thank you.

12. Great looking hat. I too think I’d let John give it a crease and I’d at least start with the genuine Indy crease. Nice to see one in the wild. Thank you.

13. Xylophile

Xylophile One of the Regulars

Very nicely proportioned I think, the crown height looks great with the ribbon width and brim width!

Redfokker and Tukwila like this.
  14. chum

chum Familiar Face

Redfokker and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. chum

chum Familiar Face

Just received my second Fed IV...this one has less taper than the first one i purchased AND it says Federation IV on the sweat band. the first one is 8 years old and fine...just wanted a new one. The first was ordered as a Fed IV but the wording on the Sweat band said Federation.

Zombie_61 and Just A Hat Rack like this.
  16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Other than the crown being less tapered on the new one, are the dimensions (open crown height, brim widths on the sides and front and back) the same?

Redfokker likes this.
  17. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

$500,000 for a ratty old hat from Raiders! How much for the hat from Crystal Skull... $50?

Redfokker likes this.
  18. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The movie wasn't great, but the Crystal Skull hat was the one that finally convinced me to get myself a nice fedora, i.e. my Dark Brown Fed IV.

Redfokker, deadlyhandsome and Tukwila like this.
  19. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I would assume at least the going rate for what a new AB would cost.

Zombie_61 and Tukwila like this.
  20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

If that's the case, then any of the Temple of Doom hats--arguably the least desired screen-used hats from the franchise--would only be worth as much as one of their Dorfman Pacific wool felt counterparts. ;)