Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Tone

A-List Customer
You sure that's a FED IV in those unique FED IV specs that you've got there?

dsc00016h.jpg
1632e_detail.jpg

Elgin1924

New in Town
Okay guys and gals, I just took the plunge and ordered a Fed IV in Moonstone Grey from the Hatsdirect website.

Fingers crossed! (I always get like this after spending money without seeing the product. "What if I got the wrong size," etc.. etc...)

I did get it deliberately big, though.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good luck with your new hat, I'm sure you'll love it. Just put in some foam and you'll be fine.
Just be careful when shaping the hat. It's an enjoyable experience, but I practically ruined my FED when I created to tight a pinch around the front and top. After reverting the hat to open crown, the outline of the pinch remained, so that the hat only looked good in it's default bash. The FEDIV was my first hat, so I forgive myself for this one. Here's the poor dear now:

FedIVOutside.jpg

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Elgin1924 said:
Okay guys and gals, I just took the plunge and ordered a Fed IV in Moonstone Grey from the Hatsdirect website.

Fingers crossed! (I always get like this after spending money without seeing the product. "What if I got the wrong size," etc.. etc...)

I did get it deliberately big, though.
Enjoy the Fed IV! As mentioned before, have fun shaping it. Just don't do a super-tight pinch until you are sure you want it that way. But there are lots of different shapes you can give the Fed IV and then change it.
As far as size go, while open crown, mine seemed a little big. Once I gave it a shape, it seemed to fit better. Then there was the day I took the garden hose to it. I completely soaked the hat and wore it until it dried. Fits great!

Elgin1924

New in Town
Thanks for the advice there guys, it's my first open-crown, so I'm expecting a slight learning curve. I tend to prefer a looser pinch anyway, so I'll hopefully be safe!

KY_rudeboy, I've never head of anyone doing that before!

Neophyte

I took a page from a Lounger who replied to my "How Much Rain can an Akubra Take?" thread, and wore the hat in the shower. The good soaking plus the warm water seemed to loosen the hat up nicely.

Elgin1924

New in Town
Neophyte said:
I took a page from a Lounger who replied to my "How Much Rain can an Akubra Take?" thread, and wore the hat in the shower. The good soaking plus the warm water seemed to loosen the hat up nicely.

I might try that, if I can pluck up the courage! (I have an irrational fear of doing anything with new hats. Secondhand hats I don't seem to care about, but new is different, for some bizarre reason.)

Neophyte

If that frightens you, listen to this.

Since I messed up my Federation IV so bad, I decided to use it for "tests." One of Akubra's claims is that their hats are designed with the Outback in mind, so you can "fan out flames with your hat, and feed and water your dog or horse with the hat."

I was interested in testing the "H2O holding capacity" of the Federation, and so took the hose and filled it to the brim with water. Rather than be absorbed or leak through the felt, I was surprised to see that it was perfectly functional as a water bowl. I DID NOT do this, however, because I don't want my hat smelling like dog.:D

1961MJS

Neophyte said:
Good luck with your new hat, I'm sure you'll love it. Just put in some foam and you'll be fine.
Just be careful when shaping the hat. It's an enjoyable experience, but I practically ruined my FED when I created to tight a pinch around the front and top. After reverting the hat to open crown, the outline of the pinch remained, so that the hat only looked good in it's default bash. The FEDIV was my first hat, so I forgive myself for this one....]

Hi

Did you try brushing the felt to get the outline to leave? Is the outline three dimensional instead of just a "mark"? I sometimes mess with my hat shapes, BUT will probably discontinue that since I went to our local hat shop. He cut down the brim on a Beaver brand hat I bought, and put a new hat band on a 5 year old Sun body.

Later

Neophyte

The mark is both 2D and 3D :eek: .

If one were to flatten out the faint crease left in the hat, one would still percieve a "line" of fur lighter than the fur around it. If one were to leave it alone, a faint edge will form on that line, showing the beginnings of the hat's original pinch.
I have tried brushing it...
I have already come to terms with the fact that this hat is sunk, as far as style. It's still pretty friggin' indestructible, so it will function perfectly as a work hat, but it will never be my go-to around town hat, especially since I took this photo of my in my Squatter, about to hit the town for a good time...

SquatterStylin.jpg

Elgin1924

New in Town
Neophyte said:
If that frightens you, listen to this.

Since I messed up my Federation IV so bad, I decided to use it for "tests." One of Akubra's claims is that their hats are designed with the Outback in mind, so you can "fan out flames with your hat, and feed and water your dog or horse with the hat."

I was interested in testing the "H2O holding capacity" of the Federation, and so took the hose and filled it to the brim with water. Rather than be absorbed or leak through the felt, I was surprised to see that it was perfectly functional as a water bowl. I DID NOT do this, however, because I don't want my hat smelling like dog.:D

:eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:

I just did this with my Tawny Fawn Fed IV. Refined the crease a bit in the process. Its drying on its rack now.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
You sure that's a FED IV in those unique FED IV specs that you've got there?

Yep, that's a sure Fed IV, although it looks to be a bit different these days. I haven't really creased since, but it's noticeably different. It does resemble the Adventurer though, with it's crease...

Mike Rivera

New in Town
Okay, I'm joining in ...

Thanks to this wonderful site and this thread, I've ordered a Fed IV. I can see that finding this site is going to end up costing me a few bucks for a while.

I went with Brown as my other felt (a Biltmore I bought new about 20 years ago) is dark green. I may go for the Moonstone also once I have time to play with this one for a while.

Thanks to all.

- Mike

fenris

One of the Regulars
Mike Rivera said:
Three new hats in as many weeks and I'm now putting together lists of hats I'd like in the future. Do you think I'm developing a problem :) ?

- Mike

Naaahhh... if I had the means, I'd probably be buying tons of hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda