Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, here is a picture of the current state, anyway. As you can see, there is a bit of taper (now my preference I might add).

Photoon2010-12-15at1649.jpg

Photoon2010-12-15at1651.jpg

So, this is after about a year of ownership and rough wear. What do you think? Obviously it doesn't look as good as new, but it looks to be in pretty good condition.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, here is a picture of the current state, anyway. As you can see, there is a bit of taper (now my preference I might add).

Photoon2010-12-15at1649.jpg

Photoon2010-12-15at1651.jpg

So, this is after about a year of ownership and rough wear. What do you think? Obviously it doesn't look as good as new, but it looks to be in pretty good condition.

Seems to have held up just fine. Looks good even with the taper, too!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Seems to have held up just fine. Looks good even with the taper, too!

Thanks, I have an impression that the taper is more pronounced on one side than the other. It looks asymmetrical to me. I don't think I should worry about it though. When wearing a hat like this, people don't tend to focus on such details as taper or crown proportions in general. People can even think that a hat, like the one in my avatar for example, looks like that worn by Indiana Jones, after all. But what I'm shooting for with this Fed IV now, is a look that is inspired by Indiana Jones, but not perfectly accurate. For this purpose, I sacrificed the center crease for a teardrop to lower the crown. I'm pleased with it the way it is now, anyway. I have tried to widen the front crease, but remnants of the tight pinch just stick out sorely, so I'll leave it like this, which is fine, as it works for this hat.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
For your face shape, I'd say a bit of taper looks very good. I'm surprised by the amount of taper your Akubra has attained, however. Unless you've shaped it intentionally that way, you must have worn it through quite a few downpours, yes? I've owned mine for some 3 years now, but I've never happened to be outside in more than a moderate rain and it hasn't acquired any taper at all... (I really should take a new pic of it one of these days...)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've worn it in more downpours than I can remember, my friend. I really have lost track of how many, but if I had to place it, maybe about a dozen hard rainfalls this year? But I have shaped the back of the hat to accommodate some taper, by lowering the middle of the back in relation to the rest of the hat, if you know what I mean.

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
Ok I'm converted...I will contact hats direct in Jan. Any advice on sizing etc.....( will go for brown ) Although I heard they used the Fed in the Nicole Kidman Movie Australia.

Neophyte

Any advice on sizing etc.....( will go for brown )

HatsDirect states that the block they use for the Fed causes the actual circumference to be about a half-size less than stated. For example, if you were a size 59, the Fed IV stated as "59" would in actuality be "58.5". While this is debated on TFL due to differing individual experiences, this is the advice I got directly from the company.

In the case of the Federations, it is best to go one size up and then pad the sweatband. I am a size 59, so I would order a 60. With some wear, the hat will conform to your head and all will be well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And my experience was the opposite, Neo. I am a true 59, and when I got my 59 it was a drop snug f/r but with lots of room on the sides. I foam padded the sides until the hat broke in, then removed the foam when the summer rolled around. Sweating in it all summer made it a long oval. It fits me perfectly.

Neophyte

And my experience was the opposite, Neo. I am a true 59, and when I got my 59 it was a drop snug f/r but with lots of room on the sides. I foam padded the sides until the hat broke in, then removed the foam when the summer rolled around. Sweating in it all summer made it a long oval. It fits me perfectly.

Like I said, individual experiences often oppose the claim lol!

I hated my FedIV. The brim--which was supposed to be 2.5'' at the sides and 2.75'' at the front and back--measured 2.3'' at the sides (rounding up) and 2.5'' (again, rounding up) front and back. Looked like a stingy on my noggin, and looked just silly overall. I'm sure that if I were to give it another go (perhaps Moonstone), specifically requesting that they check for correct brim dimensions, I would LOVE the hat :D.

Last edited:

EggHead

Practically Family
A have a Sydney and looked at few other Akubras with gross grain ribbons. One thing that I dislike is the cheap ribbon on Sydney and I think it the same quality on other Imperial Akubras. I have since replaced the ribbon on Sydney.

Does Fed 4 Deluxe have a different, higher grade ribbon than Imperial?

Last edited:

fenris

One of the Regulars
Here's a pic of my Fed IV after getting caught in a downpour 2 days ago...

wet_akubra01-1.jpg

I was actually looking for the "wet hat" thread, but can't seem to find it. So I was slowly going through all the threads and stumbled upon this one. Seemed appropriate to post a pic of my Fed IV Deluxe...

bond

Here's a pic of my Fed IV after getting caught in a downpour 2 days ago...

wet_akubra01-1.jpg

I was actually looking for the "wet hat" thread, but can't seem to find it. So I was slowly going through all the threads and stumbled upon this one. TSeemed appropriate to post a pic of my Fed IV Deluxe...
Too bad on the hat. It looks awful. Will you be able to salvage it? It looks like acid rain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24