Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

job

One Too Many
:eusa_clap I deleted a pic of a fellow lounger wearing a small brim indy style hat.

Last edited:

dannyboy_883

New in Town
I trimmed my Fed to 2 1/8th inches, uniform. Suits a thinner framed person better in my opinion.
Pics are on page 73 of this thread if you want to see, though I am cutting it down to 2 inches a bit later, and I have redone the ribbon again since those photos to a really puffy, flying V type style, so I will post more pics in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Danny.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I redid the crease on my brown Fed IV. Narrowed the dent a bit. The back of the crease had to be lifted a bit, as well, for it to look right.

1002112003.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I worked on my Fed this weekend as well. I figured what it needed was a bit more shape/deviation to the brim so I wetted it down, played with it a bit, and then left it to dry crunched between the wall and two cases of soda pop. No one on the street will notice the difference, but it just looks better to my eye with some waviness and extra curl in a few places. The fact that even the brim is so easily pliable really cements my love of this hat.

Federationbrim.jpg
Fedbrim2.jpg

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
My Heritage Fawn arrived this week.It took 14 days from the time the order was placed,until delivery to my doorstep,in perfect condition.Upon taking it out of the box, I was impressed with the feel of the felt, the colour and the soft sweatband. I then sat it on the table and studied it.What in the hell am I going to do with all of that big open crown? When my wife came home I modelled it that way as if that is how I intended to wear it. She tried not to make a funny face as she said "Its different." After I told her I had to crease it, she was only slightly less alarmed. I have read this thread from the beginning, and after taking some cues from "Goose",(Any body know what ever happened to him,by the time I got through reading his posts I felt like I really had a friend!) and working on it a bit at a time I now have a pretty nice teardrop tugboat going, measuring 4" at the front pinch, almost 4 1/2" at the side, and 3 1/2" at the back.These are certainly beautiful hats, and the felt is nice to work with. I ordered a 59, as that is what my best fit is in a Biltmore, and the Federation IV fits really good,with only the slightest wiggle room, so I am hoping for minimal shrinkage (as in none).
I am happy with my first Akubra purchase, and the service I recieved from Hats Direct, and would not hesitate to buy another.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I worked on my Fed this weekend as well. I figured what it needed was a bit more shape/deviation to the brim so I wetted it down, played with it a bit, and then left it to dry crunched between the wall and two cases of soda pop. No one on the street will notice the difference, but it just looks better to my eye with some waviness and extra curl in a few places. The fact that even the brim is so easily pliable really cements my love of this hat.

Federationbrim.jpg
Fedbrim2.jpg

Outstanding, sir! That is a first rate look and since your face is a younger edition of mine (with added chin cleft) I will bookmark this page come the day my finances are all straightened out and I can order my own grey Fed IV. Well done, that man, verra well done, 'ndeed.

Duper

Practically Family

Federationbrim.jpg
Fedbrim2.jpg

Adding some shape adds some style and even a subtle change would be noticed by us folks who like hats and of course by the wearer. The big plus is if you think it looks better your self confidence goes up and you carry your self in a more positive manner and that the non-hatwearing crowd will notice. It looks good on you.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Oldsarge, Duper, thanks for the comments. It’s been too windy over the past few days to take it out (had to wear the newsboy) but I wear it whenever I can. Best fitting and best looking production hat I’ve purchased, and one that wears just like a good coat; I do feel very comfortable in it.

dannyboy_883

New in Town
This is my Fed, if you can still call it a Fed. 2 inch wide brim, re re done ribbon. A few days from now I will be doing a bronzey goldish brim binding also, i'm just practicing on another hat first.

p1000675x.jpg
p1000673v.jpg

p1000660eo.jpg
p1000658g.jpg

p10006431.jpg

The brim is stingyrific! honestly though the brim doesn't appear to be that short, and it suits my face a million times better.

Scottyrocks, do we have a picture of the front of your crease?

I'm very close to ordering a Carbon grey any day now.

Cheers,
Danny

Picker

One of the Regulars
I love the Akubra Federation. I've owned Feds, Campdrafts, a Cattleman, Banjo Paterson, Angler, Lightning Ridge, and many more, but I always go back to the Federation. I think it's the dimensional brim that works for me:
040.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Dannyboy, did you trim that hat yourself? That looks like a great job you've done on that, and I agree, it doesn't look too narrow, in a way that it wouldn't suit the crown shape. Did you happen to use scissors while trimming it, or have you used another method, or had it professionally done?

dannyboy_883

New in Town
Thankyou! Scissors were used, with a nail file to finish. I've done it a few times now and it works perfectly. I don't think there is anywhere within a few hundred kilometres that does work on hats, though if i'm wrong i'd love to find out where.

Picker, Is that a black or Carbon grey? looks great.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thankyou! Scissors were used, with a nail file to finish. I've done it a few times now and it works perfectly. I don't think there is anywhere within a few hundred kilometres that does work on hats, though if i'm wrong i'd love to find out where.

Picker, Is that a black or Carbon grey? looks great.

To get your brim cut so precisely, did you happen to be using a measuring tape or a ruler as well? Also, you said that's a new ribbon, what is the width of that? You actually look like you've done a slightly better job than I had done on my vintage Stetson, which is why I'm asking. I've only trimmed a hat once, and it's not bad, but I may consider it again on another one if I'm sure I can do a bit better.

Picker

One of the Regulars
Picker,
That is a way cool vest!

Looks good with the Fed.

Sam

Thanks. The vest is a Filson wool western vest. They are available through Filson, David Morgan, and a few other sources. That one is the brown color. It also comes in green and dark gray, almost black. They are very warm and quite fun to wear...very old style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda