Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

I need some HAT help!!!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know how long the Mercury has been around? It definitely seems to be what I'm looking for. I want to buy something as vintage as possible; that is my second priority after having the aesthetics I'm looking for met.

@belfastboy With help from a gentleman at Hatterie Inc. - a brick and mortar hat shop in Akron - I determined that I am most likely a 7-3/8 LO, at least in Stetsons. I hope that doesn't complicate my search, the LO part.

I don't recall ever seeing a "Mercury" in the vintage ads. Generally the hats with the pressed in factory creases came around in the late 60's. "Vintage as possible" is a tad oxymoronic for a hat with a pressed in crease.

Most hats do not have a model identifier on them anyway. There are a boatload of 2" brim hats on eBay though.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Supporting JLee’s opinion, I have not seen any pre-60s Stetson Mercury hats.

Edit: Ha! I proved myself wrong with a one second search:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-mercury-fedora.37402/

I am guessing you will be looking for most pre-60s models, as 2 inch brims were pretty common then and stingy brims less so.

Keep asking questions and we’ll keep trying to answer ;)

For reference:
These are Miami Bruno’s current items, no hats right now. He usually posts on Sunday.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno/m.html

If you look at his completed items you will get a decent feel for the market.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno...om&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Good luck!

Does anyone know how long the Mercury has been around? It definitely seems to be what I'm looking for. I want to buy something as vintage as possible; that is my second priority after having the aesthetics I'm looking for met.

@belfastboy With help from a gentleman at Hatterie Inc. - a brick and mortar hat shop in Akron - I determined that I am most likely a 7-3/8 LO, at least in Stetsons. I hope that doesn't complicate my search, the LO part.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I am guessing you will be looking for most pre-60s models, as 2 inch brims were pretty common then and stingy brims less so.

For reference:
These are Miami Bruno’s current items, no hats right now. He usually posts on Sunday.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/miamibruno...om&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Good luck!

Well dang, I even like the original! The modern version seems to only borrow the name and not styling.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Keep asking questions and we’ll keep trying to answer

Thanks very much!

I went to advanced search and searched sellers and couldn't find that. So thank you.

I will keep my options open and consider brands outside of Stetson. I've been wearing a Stetson for several years, but for even longer I've been wearing a black teardrop top- so that's all I'm adamant about. That and progressing from a 1-3/4" brim to a 2"

I'll keep browsing this site, ebay, and etsy in hopes of finding something

And wow, that Mercury is so different from the modern one! :0

Thanks again!

Snowman

Practically Family

For reference:

Good luck!
I have bought a couple of hats from @Miamibruno, and I’ve been pleased.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
What's the general consensus on velour hats? (Affordability, durability, etc.)

I think I'm narrowing the field incredibly with each new preference.

(Not saying I am set on velour, but it seems fancier than wool and , well, I'd only personally consider second hand fur)

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
What's the general consensus on velour hats? (Affordability, durability, etc.)

I think I'm narrowing the field incredibly with each new preference.

(Not saying I am set on velour, but it seems fancier than wool and , well, I'd only personally consider second hand fur)
A velour fur felt is miles ahead of anything wool. It is a style/personal preference question. Do you liike the look of the longer hair finish or not. Maybe a bit more upkeep over the short nap....5 minutes a week versus zero...........Most felt suppliers charge a slight premium for their velours to reflect the extra time to prep them. But in the end it is a fur felt just one with a longer fur finish.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
A velour fur felt is miles ahead of anything wool. It is a style/personal preference question. Do you liike the look of the longer hair finish or not. Maybe a bit more upkeep over the short nap....5 minutes a week versus zero...........Most felt suppliers charge a slight premium for their velours to reflect the extra time to prep them. But in the end it is a fur felt just one with a longer fur finish.

Ah, so there is fur still involved in making a velour hat?

I have more to learn than I thought I did. Thanks for the patience.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Ah, so there is fur still involved in making a velour hat?

I have more to learn than I thought I did. Thanks for the patience.
the 'velour' aspect refers to the finish on the felt. There are multiple finishes either the manufacturer or the hat maker put on the felt. Personal preferences. I have velour, suede, antelope, angora, flecked/melange.......hatters & manufacturers place their own names to their treatments.

My wife hates velour and any sort of long hair finish. I like them a lot. Fur felt velour is like any other finish in that there is a wide range of qualities. Some of the Canadian Biltmore hats with velour finishes are nice for the price. The Europeans were the real masters of velour and similar finishes. Find an older European velour and you’ll be in for a treat. I’m still looking for a Hückel seal velour of my own.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
My wife hates velour and any sort of long hair finish. I like them a lot. Fur felt velour is like any other finish in that there is a wide range of qualities. Some of the Canadian Biltmore hats with velour finishes are nice for the price. The Europeans were the real masters of velour and similar finishes. Find an older European velour and you’ll be in for a treat. I’m still looking for a Hückel seal velour of my own.
I think they make a great replacement for a cat or dog......something i can pet without having to clean up after it nor feed it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Garrett very kindly gifted me an old Velour that needed a sweat. I'm still looking for a block for it, but excited about rebuilding it.

The stylings of some of those 60's velours are, shall we say, not quite as timeless as other midcentury hats. For instance, don't bother with the Playboy II, you are better off with a modern hat or custom!

Garrett very kindly gifted me an old Velour that needed a sweat. I'm still looking for a block for it, but excited about rebuilding it.

The stylings of some of those 60's velours are, shall we say, not quite as timeless as other midcentury hats. For instance, don't bother with the Playboy II, you are better off with a modern hat or custom!

I’ve owned a few of those ‘60s velours. Even if you’re willing to put work or money into them there isn’t any possibility of redemption. I’ll also say that I’m not impressed with the single sided velour currently made by Tonak.

oble

New in Town
So I’ve found the perfect hat that I feel comfortable wearing around town without feeling too self conscious about. The thing is it is a straw hat. The tag says “Sunbody”. Seems not too “western” and not too “dressy”. It might be nice to find one with a similar shape/size in fur felt that could be worn everyday. I do have a 50s 3x that I also like but is quite heavy and feels too nice for everyday wearing.

Curious if anyone has brand/style/ maker suggestions. I really appreciate the knowledge and expertise here. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0E8B2CC3-7C48-45DB-9F46-1FE2FFACEF85.jpeg
    0E8B2CC3-7C48-45DB-9F46-1FE2FFACEF85.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 10EA243F-FABA-4BFD-9D49-549AE942D311.jpeg
    10EA243F-FABA-4BFD-9D49-549AE942D311.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29

Who?

A-List Customer
Get quotes from a couple of custom hat-makers. Send them photos.

They will make anything you want, and it will fit perfectly. You are only limited by how much you are willing to spend.

A lot hinges on two things 1. why do you wear a hat, and why have you chosen that style?
and 2. are sure that style is what you really want to wear, before you have one made for you?

May we know where you are? If you are in Hilo, HI, where the UV index can reach 15, or in Seattle, where the sun is not as much of a problem, might give different answers as to what you should wear.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention Brim measures 2 1/2” and the crown measures approx 4 1/2 “

If you can stand another 1/4" on the brim I would look at an Akubra Campdraft. It could easily be creased like this and is one of the better bargains for a fur-felt hat. Especially if it is your first new one. The vintage market probably has many, many hats that would fit this bill as well, but you would have to dig.

oble

New in Town
Get quotes from a couple of custom hat-makers. Send them photos.

They will make anything you want, and it will fit perfectly. You are only limited by how much you are willing to spend.

A lot hinges on two things 1. why do you wear a hat, and why have you chosen that style?
and 2. are sure that style is what you really want to wear, before you have one made for you?

May we know where you are? If you are in Hilo, HI, where the UV index can reach 15, or in Seattle, where the sun is not as much of a problem, might give different answers as to what you should wear.
Thank you for the thoughtful answer. Ive always liked how fedoras look and enjoy wearing them but as I live in rural New England finding something that is not too much of a dress hat has been the challenge.

I’ve been wearing this straw hat pretty comfortably now for a while and feel that it fits that bill.

I like the suggestion of reaching out to custom hat makers. Thank you for this suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skylize