Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Wish The Lounge Had A Chat Channel.. Does Anyone Else??

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone! :) iv seen allot of forums have chat channels, and iv thought how nice it would be if this awesome forum had one as well because its nice because you can get information much quicker if you have a question:D, and its nice to be able to talk with all the lovely people here :D haha, does anyone here share this same feeling? does anyone even think its anywhere in the near future? please share your thoughts on this subject :D

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Ok i read the original thread on this subject and i still really think we should try to get a chat going in this lovely lounge hahaha i know its feels like it would be hard to moderate, but i have a friend who is on one who i thought would easily get out of hand, but it doesn't, the Admin usually takes car of anything and the people usually handle any problems themselves without conflict haha :) I just think it would be nice because sometimes it hard to sit on a thread waiting for a question answered for example, but with the chat the question could be answered right away, and i think it would make the ability for more free-flowing conversation and more ability to learn from each-other :) I might be just beating a dead horse hahaha but i really think this would improve the lounge experience nicely :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I remember that thread, and my stance on the issue hasn't changed. I would still support such an idea. It would be no harder to moderate a chatroom than a forum. And I would strongly suspect that the chatroom would be largely self-moderating anyway. I seem to recall that someone said that to suggest that the members of the Lounge couldn't self-moderate was an insult to their intelligence and manners, with which I agree.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I remember that thread, and my stance on the issue hasn't changed. I would still support such an idea. It would be no harder to moderate a chatroom than a forum. And I would strongly suspect that the chatroom would be largely self-moderating anyway. I seem to recall that someone said that to suggest that the members of the Lounge couldn't self-moderate was an insult to their intelligence and manners, with which I agree.

im so glad to hear you support this idea!:) I think a chat would be pretty easy to manage :) and i feel that the people here could easily self-moderate without a problem, this is a group of classy, intelligent people who share the same passion for eras past :) and i have faith in the people that take part in this lovely community that the chat-room would serve as a good tool and would be treated with respect :) we are all good classy people here :) and i feel if we can behave on a thread we should be able to behave on a chat :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
and I remember reading some people were worried that it would take away from the threads, I'm sure that wont happen, there are many forums that have chats and their threads are still as active as ever :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps, in-lieu of a chatroom, we have a "Contact Page" thread?

This would be a thread placed in an appropriate board where members can post their instant-messenger (Yaho, MSN, Skype etc) contact-details, and the subjects that they like talking about.

Then, other members who want to chat, can simply add their contact-details to their MSN/Yahoo, etc, messenger-contact lists, and then chat privately through instant-messenger?

Of course, this would only work if the parties submitting their details are regular users of instant-messaging software (which is very easy to use).

But it is an idea that might work. I dunno.

Or, perhaps instead of all those threads that we have up there, which Brunswick has listed, we create a SPECIFIC chat-thread in the forum and place it somewhere prominent where people can talk about whatever they want?

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Perhaps, in-lieu of a chatroom, we have a "Contact Page" thread?

This would be a thread placed in an appropriate board where members can post their instant-messenger (Yaho, MSN, Skype etc) contact-details, and the subjects that they like talking about.

Then, other members who want to chat, can simply add their contact-details to their MSN/Yahoo, etc, messenger-contact lists, and then chat privately through instant-messenger?

Of course, this would only work if the parties submitting their details are regular users of instant-messaging software (which is very easy to use).

But it is an idea that might work. I dunno.

Or, perhaps instead of all those threads that we have up there, which Brunswick has listed, we create a SPECIFIC chat-thread in the forum and place it somewhere prominent where people can talk about whatever they want?

this is a lovely idea, accept its still a thread haha the reason i like the idea of a chat is because its faster responses and more of a constant conversation :) and the reason dont like the idea about the contact page is because not everyone likes using IM (I know i don't haha), and its harder to moderate the conversation when its on a completely different website, where if it was apart of this forum the admin could moderate it and have more control over everything, and i feel the people would feel more more of a responsibility to behave and self-moderate if the chat was apart of the actual lounge and not just an I'm on another site where you are less expected to behave appropriately, because i have seen some conversations on AOL for example get pretty out of hand and inappropriate to say the least haha :) I think if we are going to chat with each-other it should be here at the lounge, where we would feel more expected to mind our manners :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Actually, the responses in those threads are often fairly instantaneous, particularly among the core group. :)

hahaha don't get me wrong this is a great place for good and fast information and a good talk :), but i just think a chat would make it more personal and conversation like :), you know what i mean? :) like with a thread its a decently fast response but its broken up and you do have to wait a bit and refresh you page to get a response, where a chat its an imitate response and its more like being in a "room" talking and conversing with everyone because the conversation flows more, and you can talk to multiple people at a time :) ( I know you can with a thread) but like i said with a chat its more like your in a "room" together talking where a thread is more like your responding to each-others posts :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
We seem to be going around in circles here. You want a chatroom, but you don't want instant messenger. When it comes down to it, they're almost the same thing.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
We seem to be going around in circles here. You want a chatroom, but you don't want instant messenger. When it comes down to it, they're almost the same thing.

hahaha yes i totally agree they are the same thing, :) the only difference i see between using IM and having a chat connected to the site is the fact that its easier to control by the admin :) sorry if I'm being difficult :) i don't mean to be :)

Pompidou

One Too Many
If there were a chat room, it would be able to replace all those off topic threads linked previously. That in itself isn't good or bad, but it'd remove any chance for resentment when one thread "isn't what the lounge is about", as there wouldn't be off topic threads to compare to. People in favor of a more on topic, information-centric forum might appreciate all the off topic friendliness in one little area. Personally, I like things as they are, relaxed, if sometimes arbitrary, but have never minded the addition of more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80