Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for free and inexpensive dates.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Lol.... Sports.... How about the New York Yankees.... Although I'm a Mets fan....

Not to mention Im about 90 minutes from Philly too...

Beachs I have one in my communty on the lake but its not the same I know.. Lol...

(By the way this is all in fun)

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Cheap first date:

For dinner take her to Circle K; two hotdogs for $.99 and share a $.59 thirst buster. Then take the bus to the dollar theater to catch a show.

That’s a whole evening for under ten dollars. If you’re really cheap you can go Dutch, then it will only cost you $4.50.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
If you're ever in London go to the Royal College Of Surgeons. The Hunterton museum is packed with all sorts of glorious oddities.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Trampilot said:
If you're ever in London go to the Royal College Of Surgeons. The Hunterton museum is packed with all sorts of glorious oddities.

I'd just like to ressurect this thread by championing this particular venue for dates.

In July I took a girl there - just as friends as we were both on the back end of messy break ups so romance wasn't on the agenda. Then at the end of November our friendship clicked into romance and we're now very much in love.

So for a top tip; if you want to find true love. Take a girl/guy to a place where bit of bodies and animals are stored in jars.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brilliant thread -- perhaps should be read in conjunction with "DATING ETIQUETTE MISTAKES" thread though, as a tonic.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ah, good thread indeed. I'd like to second the apple picking, and house tours. I like Goldyn's ideas of simple stargazing, and walking and admiring other's gardens and feeding the ducks. We love to do this!

Go dumpster diving! I just love driving around hoping to find something good in the trash, and it can become quite competitive!

If you're in to sports, try a local highschool game or even watch little league. So fun to see these kids and cheer them on.

Do they rent those dvd projecters? You could watch a movie in your back yard.

Take a cooking class together. Some are pricey, but some are free. Just depends.

Go to an auction. Could be exspensive, but you don't have to buy. I just think they're fun to see what things go for.

We like to take drives along old country and gravel roads that follow creek beds and such, look for wildlife.

Go to a fish hatchery and feed the fish.

There's a place round here called the Painted Zebra where you can do ceramics. Don't know the cost, but someting fun and different to do a project side by side.
Nikki

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Hmmmm.... I guess I was hoping to find more ideas here! Many of the things suggested are actually kind of expensive, *depending on where you live*...

KittyT,

Provided of course that you have transportation, how about a walking tour of revolutionary history in Concord at http://www.nps.gov/mima/ or visit
the home where Louisa May Alcott lived at http://www.fruitlands.org/, or if you're up for the views, in the spring or fall pack a picnic lunch and visit http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/wach.htm.

Pick one and let me know when we are going to go! You could always teach me to skate at roll on america in leominster afterwards! ;)

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
on the Brooklyn side

Zig2k143 said:
I lived in NYC all my life and there are 100s of things you could do for under a 10 spot...

A sunset picnic & walk on the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights was one of my favorites and the ladies always seemed to like it. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
This is a struggle for me as well - some of my favorites though are as follows.

1. Checking out the free swing dancing class that happened prior to a show.
2. Going to the Pride parade.
3. BF took me to a dog show (LOVED it).
4. Bowling
5. Free car shows (or the bike shows that seem to gather at a local burger joint every sat. night)
6. Grab our cameras and make up a photo hunt of 50's or earlier cool signs, or great doorways, painted brick signage, etc.(architectural nut so this interests me). Sometimes people know of places or out of the way joints I've never heard of.
7. Oscar night (we get all dressed up, make our predictions on cards and serve terrible food and cheap champagne)
8. Go to an asian market and try some strange looking food or trying to make sushi together (I stick with the veggies just to be safe)
9. Go to a part of town and try their little ethnic restarants. I've found some fantastic Mexican, Thai and Korean food this way.
10. Art fairs - even if I don't buy anything - it gives me great ideas and inspiration.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Eating ice cream bars and watching trains at Turners Station, MO. My wife and I did that when we were dating and in the first year of our marriage before we moved.

Brad

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
Hmmmm.... I guess I was hoping to find more ideas here! Many of the things suggested are actually kindof expensive, *depending on where you live*.

General admission to the Museum of Fine Arts here? $17.
picnic? How much would I spend on food to put together something nice?
Dollar theaters? Yeah, right! Movie here is about $15/person. No discount theaters.
Stargazing? Only if you have a car and gas to drive way outside of the city.
Window shopping? OK, but shopping is kindof depressing when you have no money?
Amusement parks? Pricey.
Tourist attractions? Pricey.
Arcades? Love em, but nothing that's affordable right in the city.

Seriously, I'm mostly stuck watching movies I already own/On Demand/Netflix and going to shows. Going to shows is actually less expensive than most other things there are to do in Boston. I do live near a beach, so walks along the beach are all right. Also board games (scrabble!) are good and fun and doing crosswords together can be fun too. Other than that, I'm long out of ideas.

Well, you just live in a crappy area for free stuff lol

Last I checked walking around with a tour book was free, and you dont have to do the cassette tape audio tours :p Just you, your beau, a tour map, and some creativity. All cities have sights. You just need a little planning.

LD

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Make up questions and interview your date. It's a fun and you can make the questions as goofy as you want. My husband I have done this and even though I've known him for 6 years, I learned knew things about him.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I've always thought it would be fun to go out on the town and have a date full of doing silly things you've never done before, a la Breakfast at Tiffany's!

Riffing on MissMelly's theme...

Might I suggest a little game called "Trap"? Usually used to help amnesiacs get pieces of their pasts IIRC, but seems equally good for getting to know someone new.

Basically, one person says a word or phrase, then the other just blurts the first thing that comes to their mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw