Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Clara Bow

465232_f520.jpg

ron521

One of the Regulars
Ms. Ekberg takes a very nice photograph, and I see a general resemblance to Ms. Bacall, not as if they were sisters, but at least from the same gene pool.

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
Loretta Young's been mentioned several times already. I always liked her 30's stuff. Here's a beautiful shot that I don't think has been posted yet.
And oh yeah, my daughter's name is Clara...

LorettaYoung.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
Toby Wing!!! Funny you should mention. I just saw 42nd St the other night, and when Dick Powell was singing "I'm Young and Healthy", I was saying to myself, "Wow! Who's that???" about the girl he's singing to. OMG, what a babe!
And, yes, what is she holding? Looks like a glassene envelope. I'm wondering if it's shampoo and she's going to wash her hair in the sink, a not uncommon practice in those days.

tuppence

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Toby Wing!!! Funny you should mention. I just saw 42nd St the other night, and when Dick Powell was singing "I'm Young and Healthy", I was saying to myself, "Wow! Who's that???" about the girl he's singing to. OMG, what a babe!
And, yes, what is she holding? Looks like a glassene envelope. I'm wondering if it's shampoo and she's going to wash her hair in the sink, a not uncommon practice in those days.

Wow! Now I know who she is.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Has she been mentioned before?

Poor Carole Landis, who ended her life so tragically was also an attractive and a very popular actress int the 1940s.

0696-carolelandis_sweater4.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Hadley...!

HadleyH said:
what???? I don't understand Zemke.... please explain! :)
I've been ranting and raving about Carole on this thread since -- like about -- 2006! Yes, she's the cat's meow. The Cary/Grace reference ought to ring your bell if you go look up the picnic thread! :rolleyes:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:

I mentioned what she's holding in an earlier post. It's a wax paper bag. A foldable make shift drinking cup that could be carried in a pocket or purse.

My pick

I was thinking about this one night and had an interesting realization.

My top 3 for beauty & charm
1. Grace Kelly
2. Irene Dunne
3. Ginger Rogers

but my list of who I'd like in real life I think
1. Ginger Rogers
2. Irene Dunne
3. Grace Kelly

My conclusion is that I adore a gorgeous woman with class, but they also need to be real and fun. Ginger especially seemed like a lot of fun, but Grace was always just a tad cold and aloof, even in films like "To Catch a Thief" or "Rear Window" -- although I've found a few photos like the one below that are more inviting. So give me Ginger, but here are the other two beauties for comparison.

Ginger
FLGinger01.jpg
FLGinger02.jpg

Irene
FLIrene01.jpg
FLIrene02.jpg

Grace
FLGrace01.jpg
FLGrace02.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Orion said:
My conclusion is that I adore a gorgeous woman with class, but they also need to be real and fun. Ginger especially seemed like a lot of fun, but Grace was always just a tad cold and aloof, even in films like "To Catch a Thief" or "Rear Window" -- although I've found a few photos like the one below that are more inviting

Oh......but you are so wrong there, Grace was not cold or aloof at all acording to many biographies :) not at all. And yes, she was perfect, wasn't she?

Cary Grant could have told you how things were in real life! ;) :D
0000378600-55366L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner