Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Trying to get a grip on it...

MAB1

Suspended
18 months ago I found my deceased father's old O.R.

I've been working on it ever since. And collecting hats.

Now (these days) I forget that I have a hat on my head. And I feel naked without one.

It's been a year since I last left the house without a hat. I wasn't driving or I woulda turned around and grabbed one.

How bad is that?

Or better yet... How good is that? :D

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Right up there with you! My father, a consummate and committed hat wearer, died four years ago and I haven't, except once, left the house without a decent lid since! I just can't! It's become like leaving home without pants. And we all can imagine how the neighbors feel about that.

Stoney

Practically Family
My condolences on your fathers passing.
The "I feel naked without my hat syndrome" happens to everyone who wears a fedora for long enough. I feel the same way and must have a lid when going out.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
lol Okay, so I guess I'm not completely wierd.lol lol I can't leave home without one on. My dad is never without a cowboy hat, but one never felt right on my head. Now that I have discovered fedoras I understand why he never goes hatless.

Ever notice how many of the hat-related newspaper and magazine stories contain some allusion to "the time when a man wouldn't step outside without his hat"? Or the slight variation on the theme, "back when a man felt undressed without his fedora"? And then we are told about how some local hatter (or retailer or whatever) is among the few keeping the old tradition alive, etc., etc., ad nauseam. Oh, and if the writer is really lazy (as well as trite), we'll read about how JFK killed hat wearing.

But, like many cliches, "naked without his hat" has its foundation in reality. Yes, you get used to wearing a hat, and you do feel not quite dressed without one. Hats are so central to the way I present myself to the outside world that the hat I plan to wear on any given day will determine (or at least strongly influence) the remainder of my attire.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Ever notice how many of the hat-related newspaper and magazine stories contain some allusion to "the time when a man wouldn't step outside without his hat"? Or the slight variation on the theme, "back when a man felt undressed without his fedora"? And then we are told about how some local hatter (or retailer or whatever) is among the few keeping the old tradition alive, etc., etc., ad nauseam. Oh, and if the writer is really lazy (as well as trite), we'll read about how JFK killed hat wearing.

But, like many cliches, "naked without his hat" has its foundation in reality. Yes, you get used to wearing a hat, and you do feel not quite dressed without one. Hats are so central to the way I present myself to the outside world that the hat I plan to wear on any given day will determine (or at least strongly influence) the remainder of my attire.

I will decide on a hat to wear and then seeing what my wife is going to wear, I may have to put on a nicer one or a more 'casual' one[huh] :rolleyes:

Magus

Practically Family
When I "seriously" started wearing fedoras a few years back, people who knew me would ask, "Why are you wearing a hat?"

Now, if for some reason I don't have one on they ask, "Why aren't you wearing a hat?"

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL