Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In-transit hat care/storage

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I travel....alot. Back in the day, it would seem that respect for a man's hat was a given.

In today's world, it seems that headgear is considered by some to be an annoyance, perhaps even a target.

Personally, I'd rather not have to keep checking the overhead bin to ensure my Panama, Fedora, etc. hasn't been crushed or crammed to the side.

Even when going out for the evening, there seem to be few options for stowing your hat while dining, etc.

How do you protect your lid while traveling, short of keeping it on your head the entire trip? how do you protect your hat while indoors, dining, dancing, etc.?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
that is a very difficult one for me. I was wearing my VS Featherweight last week out to a Mexican restaurant with some relatives who came to town to visit. I ended up placing my hat right underneath my chair in that sort of chair-leg support area beneath the actual seat of the chair. Of course, I did this after I had already placed it on its crown on the floor one inch from my chair, and the waiter almost stepped on it...

Its just hard to care for a hat sometimes...so if I end up leaving it on my head, I usually apologize to those around me, and say I would simple rather not risk it getting trampled on.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
When I went off to camp, I brought a hat with some damage that I didn't really care about. Looked decent, worked well, and when bad things happened to it, it didn't matter all that much.

Or, you could get one of those lanyard thingies with the rubber clamp instead of the teeth, and clip that to the brim and hang it when you sit down.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I like the "hat lanyard" idea; I'll look for one of those.

I can't imagine leaving a VS behind! That would hurt on so many levels.

Thanks for your ideas.

Portable Hat hook

We have discussed this previously but I don't recall the name of the thread. However, in the dicussion I had the idea from an item describe to me for womens pocketbooks.

There are these THINGS, I don't know what they are called BUT they are portable hooks that either hang or clip to the side of a table like at a restaurant and women hang their purses / pocket books from them.

Seems to me, one might adapt the idea to become a PORTABLE HAT HOOK. It could be designed to colapse like an old telescoping car antenna or maybe fold to smaller dimensions.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
Could'nt you bend a small piece of coat hanger so that it would fit on the back of a chair and hang you hat on that. It would be small enough to fit in your pocket and if you sit with your back out of traffic the hat should be safe enough. Maybe its a dumb idea but seems simple enough.

Anders

One of the Regulars
I'm constantly holding my hat in my hands or balancing it on my lap, but for me, it's just part of the hat experience. It adds a tiny bit of discipline to daily activities that's oddly satisfying.

No Poking

Dr Trinidad said:
Could'nt you bend a small piece of coat hanger so that it would fit on the back of a chair and hang you hat on that. It would be small enough to fit in your pocket and if you sit with your back out of traffic the hat should be safe enough. Maybe its a dumb idea but seems simple enough.
As long as you put a ball or cork on the hat end so it would not poke thru accidentaly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael