Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inaugural wears 2009

carter

I'll Lock Up
Kilts?

HadleyH said:
he would look sexier in long trousers! :D ;)
How do you feel about these gentlemen?
MenInKilts.jpg

Hadley, This Blog is in your court.
http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2008/11/12/f/

Edward

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't think it's the case. Here in the U.S., double braids were the standard too -- at least until the '50s, when U.S. suit manufacturers decided to save money by offering the exact same trousers for both tuxedos and evening tailcoats.

Ah, thanks.... I think what I read must have pertained to modern mores, then... though, quite frankly, what tendss to distinguish white tie trousers here more often now, in my experience, is the cut rather than the piping (seems to me that most decent white tie trousers sold these days have a decently high - if not quite 30s standard - waist, and tend to be a fuller, more traditional cut than their more fashion-led counterparts sold as black tie wear. That probably has more to do with there being less and less deamdn for white tie than anyting else, though...

Tomasso said:
My commentary was meant to be ironic.;)

The emoticon I placed below the photo :)eusa_doh: ) expressed my true feelings.

That said, there's nothing wrong with tastefully cut (to the knee cap) shorts, in my book.

Oops, I missed the emoticon below the photo..... must have been the sight of the former presidential legs was too distracting.... :p

Widebrim said:
That's what I'm talking about! Love him or hate him, Cheney cuts quite a figure iin a lid.

Vaguely reminiscent of Eamon deValera, I'd have said...

41ddnsrwmnl._ss500_.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
Back to what Obama did wrong... ;)

The notch lapels - someone as suave and relaxed as Obama would have done better with shawl lapel, but notch isn't bad, EXCEPT
Vented jacket - NO
Pocket flaps - NO
Lack of waist covering - WRONG
If it were just the lapels, it would have been fine. However the combination of things listed pretty much means that he was wearing a black suit with some satin stuck to it.
The dinner jacket I bought when I was in high school and didn't know any better was a step up from what Obama wore - something put together like the lowest tux rental offering.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Okay, armchair critics ;), here's a list of what Obama 'should' have worn at the Inaugural Balls.

EVENING SUIT OF TAILS and ACCESSORIES:

-- Made of black or midnight blue worsted wool, lined in black or midnight blue silk (such as "Skinner's satin"), but with cream silk sleeve linings.

-- Peak lapels faced in black or midnight blue barathea or grosgrain. Working boutonniere hole, with a loop to hold a flower stem in place.

-- NO outside breast pocket, let alone a pocket square. (Not formal enough for the Presidency, folks. Really.)

-- Tailcoat buttons faced in black silk "basketweave" braiding. No plastic; no bakelite; no corozo. Sleeve cuffs must have working buttonholes.

-- Button fly and inverse (forward) pleats for the trousers. Two rows of silk braid down the outside of each trouser leg. (The braids' silk must be the same as the silk on the coat's lapel facings.) Waistband must have suspender (brace) buttons and a fishtail back. No belt loops. No back pockets. Side pockets must be 100% vertical.

-- Black or midnight blue semi-sheer (lisle) silk socks, held up by white barathea or grosgrain silk sock garters.

-- Black opera pumps made of genuine (shellacked) patent leather or highly polished calf leather. Pumps must be lined in crimson leather. The pump's black bows must be of the same type of silk as the tailcoat's lapel facings and trouser braiding.

-- White detachable wing collar must be high (2 inches in the back), made of fine linen so starched and pressed that it shines, and must be attached with gold-plated/mother-of-pearl front and back collar studs.

-- White cotton barathea, cambric or pique bowtie. No bat-wing or butterfly-wing shape: they're not formal enough for the Presidency. The bowtie's fabric must be identical to the fabric of the shirt and waistcoat.

-- Collarless evening shirt must be made of white voile, linen or cambric, with white cotton barathea, linen or pique "bib" front and single cuffs. Shirtfront (bib) and cuffs must be so highly starched and pressed that they shine. Shirtfront must have a vertical tab just below the bottom of the bib: it must be buttoned to a small button on the inside front of the trouser's waistband.

-- White cotton barathea, cambric or pique evening waistcoat with a shawl collar and three or four detachable buttons. The waistcoat's fabric must be identical to that of the bowtie and shirt. Two front waistcoat pockets. The waistcoat should be single-breasted (as it's more formal); it should have a full back, and should be heavily starched and pressed. It must have an elastic, looped tab on the inside front, which is meant to be attached to that small button on the inside front of the trouser's waistband.

-- A full set of matching shirt studs, cufflinks and waistcoat studs. They must be made of white mother-of-pearl or Faberge-style faience, set in platinum or white gold.

-- A platinum or white gold pocket watch and penknife, attached to a slender platinum or white gold watch chain. The chain must loop across (in an upside down arc) from one waistcoat pocket to the other: it must not be threaded through or attached to the evening waistcoat's buttonhole.

-- Suspenders must be made of white barathea or grosgrain silk, which must be identical to the silk used for the sock garters. Suspender loops must be of white braided silk, not chamois, kid, calfskin or gut.

Now...I wonder how many of us would be conscientious enough to follow these rules ourselves? (And yes, they are honest-to-goodness rules, and some people with a measure of power really do follow them. See Debrett's Correct Form. See photos of Spain's King Juan Carlos II.)

What is the minimum proper standard of evening wear that a U.S. President should abide by? Is it the list above? If not, then why not?

Rachael

A-List Customer
While I do not disagree with you, I can already hear pundits complaining about the extravanance of the inaugural proceedings; imagine if you throw in a bespoke or couture evening ensemble. Right or wrong, presidents are different from other heads of state by the fact that they are not peerage.

Would I have preferred to see Mr Obama dressed as you detailed? You betcha. Do I blame him for not doing so? Not so much.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Rachael said:
Would I have preferred to see Mr Obama dressed as you detailed? You betcha. Do I blame him for not doing so? Not so much.

Rachael, you and I are on the same page. My tongue was firmly in cheek; I wouldn't expect our new President to dress in strict accordance to such rules, which seem frivolous in these troubled times.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Now...I wonder how many of us would be conscientious enough to follow these rules ourselves?
I would! :p Mind you, I'd have to do a lot of shopping because I don't own a single component of a White Tie rig, with the exception of the suspenders, shoes and socks.

Marc Chevalier said:
What is the minimum proper standard of evening wear that a U.S. President should abide by? Is it the list above? If not, then why not?
Semi-Formal or Black Tie would be the minimum. That's with a matching tie (comprende Barack?), covered waist and closed vent.

If Formal or White Tie attire is chosen, for say a State Dinner, then follow the rules as put forth above (though there's a bit of wiggle room as a few of the details are generally considered a matter of personal preference)

And BTW, even though it wouldn't be my first choice, there's nothing wrong with notch lapels for Semi-Formal.

prince-philip.jpg

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Just caught a glimpse

Of the Obamas dancing and saw the white tie and thought WOW he's wearing tails! Am a little disappointed that's not the case but he is still vert stylish! He just needs to change the notch for a peak lapel! Hate a notch lapel on tux!

Cheers

Peter

dhermann1 said:
OK, you convinced me. The dude is definitely cool no matter what he does.
I did sort of want to see him in a full white tie outfit, tho. I expect that will happen.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
Here's BO in White Tie sans vest. Maybe he just doesn't get it.[huh]

09obama.1-450.jpg

BTW, I don't see why running the country should preclude him from dressing properly for these occasions as it hasn't hindered the men who've preceded him.

Again, it really is the function of the White House Social Secretary to advise him on proper attire for White House functions. Where is she?!?!
You're right! Where's the Marcella vest? And the tail coat is MUCH too large! No pocket square or carnation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy