Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inaugural wears 2009

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's BO in White Tie sans vest. Maybe he just doesn't get it.[huh]

09obama.1-450.jpg

BTW, I don't see why running the country should preclude him from dressing properly for these occasions as it hasn't hindered the men who've preceded him.

Again, it really is the function of the White House Social Secretary to advise him on proper attire for White House functions. Where is she?!?!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
BTW, I don't see why running the country should preclude him from dressing properly for these occasions as it hasn't hindered the men who've preceded him.

Yes, but it hasn't necessarily helped the country, either. ;)

You're right: the White House Social Secretary is supposed to handle these things. But unless I'm mistaken, isn't the photo above from the white tie "Al Smith Dinner" held in NYC a few months ago? Obama wasn't president then, hence the lack of a White House social secretary.

FWIW, here's Al Gore at the Al Smith Dinner: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BB2CEUhgSSY/SLSM-l4BXuI/AAAAAAAACNE/rVW9JLeMX-o/s400/asd00.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
I didn't have a problem with what either wore during the day or in the evening. I do think that with his build, he would have looked spectacular in tails.

Lenah

New in Town
Bwahahahaaaaa - I couldn't stop seeing Aretha's hat. Her stylist should be fired. That was way bad.
Michelle's inauguration ball gown was nice, but nothing mind-blowing. She looked comfortable though, and maybe that was what was important to her?

A different lipstick shade might have worked wonders though.

Her daytime suit I liked way better, she seemed more comfortable in it, and looked absolutely stunning! But the gloves didn't match, imho, the colour yes, but not the material. As long as they kept warm, I keep reading how cold it was! I agree that she has a very Jackie O. vibe. I do think that "they" are pushing her soft side through her image big time. She wasn't always this powdery and feminine.
And I bet she's getting a whole lot of freebies from J. Crew now!

Whoever said she has a weird body shape, which is difficult to style classically - I disagree... She has a typical, classical female shape. The one with the hips. To me she looks tall, fit, feminine and much younger than her age. She looks fantastic, in a very natural, attainable way. Much better than Hollywood, with way more style and class. Nature can't be beat. Play up what you have - I love her subtle message. She could work on her walk, though. The horse walk doesn't do it for me.

But, all-in-all I'm one of those hopelessly addicted to Michelle O., and proud of it :)
Barack is just charming .... That couple is unreal. Unbelievable presence.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
All politics aside, the last U.S. president to look good in tails was Ronald Reagan. Film actors of his generation were taught how to dress well by Hollywood costumers.

The last president to wear superb tails was Dwight Eisenhower...who was, in fact, a clotheshorse with expensive tastes. I'll post photos of him in tails soon.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Tails are the fanciest thing a man can wear... well, post Renasaunce or Romantic Periods. White tie is proper with tails for that brand of occasion. I have seen Dick Powell wear a white tie and an arrow tip collar with a white messjacket, cumberbun and tux pants in the famous "Young and Healthy" number in 42nd Street... but, that's a 30s Warner Brothers movie and not a presidental formal event.

Obama's vestless, tailless outfit: TISK TISK![bad] Then again, he's all about "Change" so, I guess that comes to no surprise... not to me anyway.

dhermann1 said:
BTW, I saw the ceremonies on a co-workers laptop, using a wireless connection and accessing the live stream of CNN and the NY Times. How many people used this up to date, not at all vintage, method of witnessing the events?
Viewed on a flatscreen in a bar listening to a live band play "Moten Swing", bourbon shot with a beer back. Liked the topcoats worn by the security detail surrounding the caddy tank. Anyone think the president was wearing thin body armor during his walk?
Lenah said:
Her daytime suit I liked way better, she seemed more comfortable in it, and looked absolutely stunning!
Nice dress. Who shot the curtains? I'm not saying she looked like some enormous piece of ungainly furniture, but I simply must know how she looks opposite the divan.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Forgotten Man said:
Then again, he's all about "Change" so, I guess that comes to no surprise...
When I signed on for Change, I didn't think we were talking about things sartorial. I gotta remember to read the fine print. :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ike

One of the fun things I learned when I went on my Ike kick several years ago was his love of clothes. Supposedly he had a couple hundred suits when he was in the White House and very seldom wore one more than once. There are shots of him in the 30's, in the Phillipines, where he's wearing a sharp white linen suit. He looked great.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm reminded of JFK, who, as president, wore white tie and tails with a single satin braid down each trouser leg. Shocking!
He did worse than that.

:eek:

store.jpg

kennedys_on_the_kennedy_a.jpg

Jackie was perfect.

Lenah

New in Town
r2892121963.jpg
RondoHatton said:
Nice dress. Who shot the curtains? I'm not saying she looked like some enormous piece of ungainly furniture, but I simply must know how she looks opposite the divan.

LOL.... I liked it. I think she looked well put together, it suited her. It was solid, but light and cheery, and a touch 60s - ish. In some pics it looks light pea green, and in others it looks yellow. What color was it? The only things off, were the gloves...

3212428811_d4bb8bee85.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm reminded of JFK, who, as president, wore white tie and tails with a single satin braid down each trouser leg. Shocking! Tails require double braids!

I have always felt it depends on the time period. My tails are from 1948 and have grosgrain lapels with a single grosgrain stripe down the pants.

The only time I see a double stripe on tail pants are 30s and earlier.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm shocked to find out people weren't horrified at Obama's tux and tie. When I saw that last night, I told my wife "They're gonna be crucifying him on the Lounge tomorrow!"

I thought it was a poor choice, as the white tie didn't work with the dinner jacket, and I absolutley abhor the idea of notch lapels. Ah, modern life, go away!lol

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
His white tie was fine. He dictates style... sort of like how Bush made the word nucular a word.

To me her outfit was too high wasted and, well it just didn't give her a figure.

The suit he was wearing when sworn in was boring staid and standard.

His tux though... that he pulled off well and I liked it. It's okay to wear a white tie with a tux now.

Her dress for the ball on the other hand...Who shot the goose and gave it to the seamstress?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany