Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indian Sportswear / Ranger

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a jacket listing in TFL classifies. The jacket label says Indian Sportswear.
Indian jackets do not show up very often. Of course Indian is an Iconic motorcycle band is some question about what constitutes an Indian Ranger jacket. Are there certain design features that make an Indian Sportswear jacket an Indian Ranger?
I think the Harley Davison Cycle King had very specific design elements. The HD Cycle King seam to attach the most interest of HD jackets as evidenced by asking prices.

I 2.jpeg
I 3.jpeg

Indian.jpeg

Aloysius

I'm quite okay with the norm of referring to (original, not the new ugly licensed merchandise sold by the motorcycle company) Indian double riders as 'Rangers', much like the Schott 118, 613, and 618 are all 'Perfectos'.

Man that collar is beautiful. I overlooked something in my order process, so unfortunately my Aero Ranger repro will end up having the small J106/Ridley style collar instead, which isn't nearly as cool as the oversized Ranger collar.

I'm quite okay with the norm of referring to (original, not the new ugly licensed merchandise sold by the motorcycle company) Indian double riders as 'Rangers', much like the Schott 118, 613, and 618 are all 'Perfectos'.

Man that collar is beautiful. I overlooked something in my order process, so unfortunately my Aero Ranger repro will end up having the small J106/Ridley style collar instead, which isn't nearly as cool as the oversized Ranger collar.
How can a small collar on an Indian Ranger be an oversight on your part?!? Seems like the unique collar of the IR should be something Aero would un-waveringly insist on for one of these jackets given their commitment to the original pattern.

Aloysius

How can a small collar on an Indian Ranger be an oversight on your part?!? Seems like the unique collar of the IR should be something Aero would un-waveringly insist on for one of these jackets given their commitment to the original pattern.

I ordered through Thurston, but didn't realize that the default when doing so is a Ridley with Indian Ranger details until after I got the fit jacket. When I found out, I decided to go through with it that way, rather than wait for another fit jacket to be made and shipped.

The pockets, zips, gussets and such are all the Ranger version, however the collar is always the Ridley collar because the Ranger collar does not fit onto the Ridley pattern.

Now I know that if you want a non-Ridley cross-zip you have to specify, and I would have done so if ordering all over, but I'm over the disappointment at this point and just waiting for the jacket to be complete. I've consoled myself by looking at the examples of Ranger jackets that didn't have the cool oversized collar, lol.

The slim-straight cut of the Ridley is also going to better complement the more V-shaped cut of the Schott I've been looking at, I think. Two different cuts for different looks.

Summer heat is finally starting to come down, so hopefully the jacket will be here by the time it's wearable!

There is a jacket listing in TFL classifies. The jacket label says Indian Sportswear.
Indian jackets do not show up very often. Of course Indian is an Iconic motorcycle band is some question about what constitutes an Indian Ranger jacket. Are there certain design features that make an Indian Sportswear jacket an Indian Ranger?
I think the Harley Davison Cycle King had very specific design elements. The HD Cycle King seam to attach the most interest of HD jackets as evidenced by asking prices.

View attachment 361817 View attachment 361818

View attachment 361816

To me, jackets with the patch pocket, attached belt, pocket config, no belt loops, etc., are Rangers. This is a kick ass OG Indian though. I dunno, call this an Indian MC jacket? More rare? No idea. Beautiful.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I ended up going in another direction, but I got real close to ordering a Ranger with Aero via TB. There was two ways of doing it, or at least it was simplified like that for me. One was ordering a Ranger. I noticed from the stock pages of Aero and some emails, the taper is extreme. Like 23 ptp going to 18 waist kind of extreme. And keep in mind a shorter back length. Been a while since I've done geometry, but those are some crazy obtuse angles.

The other way was to do a Ridley and spec it out Ranger style with the mixed hardware, red/black checker, etc. and then have it be not so tapered in the process. I got to admit, something like the collar shape would have alluded me too as I would have assumed it's a Ranger, but on a longer, less tapered frame.

Well hopefully the next person to go through it will catch these posts and make a mental note.

In any case, I'm doing something with Greg later next year, and I'm definitely going to draw heavily from Indian and Buco to hopefully create something really cool. These are all time classics and they deserve to live forever.

MrProper

I noticed from the stock pages of Aero and some emails, the taper is extreme. Like 23 ptp going to 18 waist kind of extreme.

This reads like it would be perfect for me. lol
Unfortunately there are too many details that I personally don't like. Big collar, epaulettes, belt etc.
In this respect I am happy with my Ridley

Rich22

Practically Family
I ordered through Thurston, but didn't realize that the default when doing so is a Ridley with Indian Ranger details until after I got the fit jacket. When I found out, I decided to go through with it that way, rather than wait for another fit jacket to be made and shipped.

The pockets, zips, gussets and such are all the Ranger version, however the collar is always the Ridley collar because the Ranger collar does not fit onto the Ridley pattern.

Now I know that if you want a non-Ridley cross-zip you have to specify, and I would have done so if ordering all over, but I'm over the disappointment at this point and just waiting for the jacket to be complete. I've consoled myself by looking at the examples of Ranger jackets that didn't have the cool oversized collar, lol.

The slim-straight cut of the Ridley is also going to better complement the more V-shaped cut of the Schott I've been looking at, I think. Two different cuts for different looks.

Summer heat is finally starting to come down, so hopefully the jacket will be here by the time it's wearable!
What are the pattern differences between the Ridley and Ranger? Aren't they a similar fit?

Edit: Sorry, I see you all started talking about this in later posts!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

Not sure I'd worry. unless you specified the Ridley pattern - it will be an IR. My Indian Ranger is just that - an Indian Ragner with a little bit of fiddling with the lower hem/waist measurements. I did request snap down points for all 4 points of the collar as they are not standard on the IR. Ordered through Carrie/Thurston.

And yes, you can elimante details if you want (epaulettes, belt etc)

Unless she snuck it by them and ordered a Ridley as an IR in FQHH.

Aloysius

This reads like it would be perfect for me. lol
Unfortunately there are too many details that I personally don't like. Big collar, epaulettes, belt etc.
In this respect I am happy with my Ridley

I expect you could get the Ranger pattern with plainer details if you wished. I recommended the Ranger to a weightlifter friend with a 10 inch drop.

Not sure I'd worry. unless you specified the Ridley pattern - it will be an IR. My Indian Ranger is just that - an Indian Ragner with a little bit of fiddling with the lower hem/waist measurements. I did request snap down points for all 4 points of the collar as they are not standard on the IR. Ordered through Carrie/Thurston.

And yes, you can elimante details if you want (epaulettes, belt etc)

Unless she snuck it by them and ordered a Ridley as an IR in FQHH.

I'm not complaining about Thurston, merely relating what I found out through the order process. If you don't specifically say at the point of order that you don't want a Ridley, the default is the Ridley with Ranger-style features because the 40s-style pattern doesn't fit most people well. I actually think this is a good thing, especially if someone who not a jacket nerd like us orders and ends up with something that fits awkwardly. However, I didn't know this until the fitting stage and at that point I didn't want to spend the time or money to restart the project with another fit jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB