Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Saw "Dial of Destiny" yesterday and it was not a failure by any means. It was definitely fun for a one-time watch, and I might actually view it again when it finally streams.

I almost didn't go see it at all. I was truly concerned that I was going to hate it; that I would be seriously disappointed with how the character was handled; that I was going to be very uncomfortable with the female lead; that it was going to be nostalgia-heavy with a stupid story and I was going to end up in endless social media arguments because Disney ruined Indiana Jones for me.

I made up my mind a few months ago to not even watch it.

But some close family members saw it and they assured me that it was not any of those things, so I decided to try for myself.

None of my fears were realized. Instead, I had a SUPER fun first twenty minutes that truly felt like Indiana Jones. I was completely sold by the de-aging CGI and was able to really get caught up in the adventure. IMO, the first 20 minutes are some of the best Indiana Jones we have on film.

Too bad they were unable to harness that charm for the rest of the move and, unfortunately, by the 2 hour mark I was looking at my watch. The rest of it doesn't drag but it is bloated. Each location sequence could have been 3-4 minutes shorter and the whole movie would have been MUCH improved. There just wasn't enough substance or magic to justify the length. This is an ongoing criticism of Disney for me: they don't take enough time to fine tune their productions, and Indy 5 is worse because of it.

Harrison Ford was FANTASTIC and, as one expects, he completely carries the film. There are two missteps with his character for me, but they are small and overall he feels very much like Indiana Jones and (importantly) this feels very much like it is his movie.

While I like the lead actress, she lacks the physical ability to be an action star. Her acting skills definitely sell the part, but you can't fake physical coordination or the ability to sneak up on bad guys or run away or even ride a speeding motorcycle, etc. and she just doesn't have any "chi" at all. The role wanted Sigourney Weaver or Jennifer Garner and instead it got Carol Burnet (although that might be selling Carol Burnet short). But again, her acting is top-notch otherwise.

The hat's fine but they do use it as nostalgia bait rather than as an actual useful uniform item. Indy never tips it down over his face to sleep or even really messes with it much and it's also obviously a brand new hat - handsome enough but in the end not very inspiring as an action accessory.

And that kind of sums up the film for me - handsome enough but not very inspiring. If they had trimmed 20 minutes off, I would have probably been pumped up leaving the theater. But I was honestly more pumped at the end of the new Wes Anderson movie; and if you know Wes Anderson, then you know that's saying a lot.

Here's the Stetson 20 that I wore to the film. Not a dimensional brim but it definitely feels to me like the Indiana Jones fedora.
stetson sovereign.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Took my 9 and 10 year old grandsons, who have not seen the series before. They liked it. I’d give it a home run-double score for the win.

That's interesting it worked for them from the pov of coming fresh to the series. I'm going to see it myself next Thursday - going with a friend - day off, matinee screening, early afternoon start (just after noon) - hopefully means a quiet cinema. Learned the hard way years ago not to go to anything 'big' on opening weekend if I actually want to hear it.

Edward

Bartender
Saw "Dial of Destiny" yesterday and it was not a failure by any means. It was definitely fun for a one-time watch, and I might actually view it again when it finally streams.

I almost didn't go see it at all. I was truly concerned that I was going to hate it; that I would be seriously disappointed with how the character was handled; that I was going to be very uncomfortable with the female lead; that it was going to be nostalgia-heavy with a stupid story and I was going to end up in endless social media arguments because Disney ruined Indiana Jones for me.

I made up my mind a few months ago to not even watch it.

But some close family members saw it and they assured me that it was not any of those things, so I decided to try for myself.

None of my fears were realized. Instead, I had a SUPER fun first twenty minutes that truly felt like Indiana Jones. I was completely sold by the de-aging CGI and was able to really get caught up in the adventure. IMO, the first 20 minutes are some of the best Indiana Jones we have on film.

Too bad they were unable to harness that charm for the rest of the move and, unfortunately, by the 2 hour mark I was looking at my watch. The rest of it doesn't drag but it is bloated. Each location sequence could have been 3-4 minutes shorter and the whole movie would have been MUCH improved. There just wasn't enough substance or magic to justify the length. This is an ongoing criticism of Disney for me: they don't take enough time to fine tune their productions, and Indy 5 is worse because of it.

Harrison Ford was FANTASTIC and, as one expects, he completely carries the film. There are two missteps with his character for me, but they are small and overall he feels very much like Indiana Jones and (importantly) this feels very much like it is his movie.

While I like the lead actress, she lacks the physical ability to be an action star. Her acting skills definitely sell the part, but you can't fake physical coordination or the ability to sneak up on bad guys or run away or even ride a speeding motorcycle, etc. and she just doesn't have any "chi" at all. The role wanted Sigourney Weaver or Jennifer Garner and instead it got Carol Burnet (although that might be selling Carol Burnet short). But again, her acting is top-notch otherwise.

The hat's fine but they do use it as nostalgia bait rather than as an actual useful uniform item. Indy never tips it down over his face to sleep or even really messes with it much and it's also obviously a brand new hat - handsome enough but in the end not very inspiring as an action accessory.

And that kind of sums up the film for me - handsome enough but not very inspiring. If they had trimmed 20 minutes off, I would have probably been pumped up leaving the theater. But I was honestly more pumped at the end of the new Wes Anderson movie; and if you know Wes Anderson, then you know that's saying a lot.

Here's the Stetson 20 that I wore to the film. Not a dimensional brim but it definitely feels to me like the Indiana Jones fedora.
View attachment 530506

I had much the same feeling coming out of The Dark Knight - great film (though I don't personally rate it being as much all that as it became fashionable to. Call me cynical, but I do think Ledger's untimely death did rather boots its favourable reviews somewhat), but it was a painful 20 minutes too long.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That's interesting it worked for them from the pov of coming fresh to the series. I'm going to see it myself next Thursday - going with a friend - day off, matinee screening, early afternoon start (just after noon) - hopefully means a quiet cinema. Learned the hard way years ago not to go to anything 'big' on opening weekend if I actually want to hear it.
I thought the same which is why I waited until July 5th to go. Noon matinee: the theater was quite full.

I think as news gets out that the movie is decent, it will have more longevity at the box office.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I had much the same feeling coming out of The Dark Knight - great film (though I don't personally rate it being as much all that as it became fashionable to. Call me cynical, but I do think Ledger's untimely death did rather boots its favourable reviews somewhat), but it was a painful 20 minutes too long.
I don’t remember DK being overly long but I was much younger then and not as sensitive.

These days, if a movie is over two hours it needs good justification for me to enjoy it. Top Gun: Maverick was the last film I saw in the theater where I walked out totally pumped. Most other blockbusters these last few years, I walk out feeling fatigued.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I think as news gets out that the movie is decent, it will have more longevity at the box office.
After having seen the film I trolled around YouTube for other reviews. Apparently Dial has a xtrdy high production tab
but has only earned modest bank to date, signalling a serious box office failure. Though not familiar with the franchise
production or behind scene corporate suite personalities, it's hit the Hollywood fan time and heads have rolled.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
After having seen the film I trolled around YouTube for other reviews. Apparently Dial has a xtrdy high production tab
but has only earned modest bank to date, signalling a serious box office failure. Though not familiar with the franchise
production or behind scene corporate suite personalities, it's hit the Hollywood fan time and heads have rolled.
I was thinking the box office for Indy 5 would plummet substantially after the first weekend but now I’m curious how dramatic that will be. That’s all I meant by that comment about longer legs. I did not mean to imply that it will be the hit Disney had hoped it would be. It seems that the game for them now has got to be just breaking even - particularly with the new Mission Impossible opening next week.

Edward

Bartender
I thought the same which is why I waited until July 5th to go. Noon matinee: the theater was quite full.

That would be my feeling. If it earns a reputation as the Logan of the franchise (let's not forget there were a couple of Wolverine solo outings before that which were..... of variable quality....), it could do very well indeed in the longer term. Fox have raked in a fortune - and will doubtless do so again - from Rocky Horror Picture Show, which not only bombed on original release in 1975, but had already been written off during production because of a conflict of visions between the creatives and the money men (in fact, the producers pulled a fast one when it had in fact already been cancelled a day or two ahead of shooting beginning and did it anyhow..).

I liked Skull well enough myself, but I know a lot of people hated it. We all know they hated it because they never tire of telling us they hated it.... it's become quite performative by this point. For those who disliked it and have not yet considered Dial fearing more of the same, it is just possible that good word of mouth will help. Certainly it has to be of more use than the performative damning given it by the critics who seem to have been desperate for it to fail since long before release. I suppose a massive hit or an absolute bomb is a story - a moderate success which eventually covers its costs is not. There's a reason they call it a movie business. Cruel and shallow money trenches, long plastic hallways and all that. Doesn't just apply to the music business.

I don’t remember DK being overly long but I was much younger then and not as sensitive.

These days, if a movie is over two hours it needs good justification for me to enjoy it. Top Gun: Maverick was the last film I saw in the theater where I walked out totally pumped. Most other blockbusters these last few years, I walk out feeling fatigued.

It was the last act did it for me - I think in trying to build tension they drew it out much too long.

I don't mind a long film if there's a reason for it. Lord of the Rings, fine. Watchmen - absolutely. That second Hobbit picture, though.... the whole barrel riders sequence that ran for, what, thirty minutes? Three hours? Three days? Gah. I remember when the length of Dances With Wolves was so unusual that it got talked about, ditto Schindler's List. These days, it seems a lot of films are increased in length for the sake of it, with or without enough story to fill it. Never mind the quality, feel the width... If it's a long one, I make sure not to buy a drink and have a pee before I go in... ;)

I was thinking the box office for Indy 5 would plummet substantially after the first weekend but now I’m curious how dramatic that will be. That’s all I meant by that comment about longer legs. I did not mean to imply that it will be the hit Disney had hoped it would be. It seems that the game for them now has got to be just breaking even - particularly with the new Mission Impossible opening next week.

It'd be interesting to see whether there's much crossover between audiences. The only MI I bothered with on the big screen was the first one. That was more than enough. I just have no use for yet another Tom Cruise playing the Tom Cruise Persona picture. Irritating, because when they let him actually act, he can be quite good (I'm thinking Valkyrie here). Also, I got unreasonably annoyed by the whole making a deal out of doing all his own stunts. I'm sure it's a great ego trip for him - less so the folks who didn't earn for two weeks when he injured himself and shooting was put on hold while he recuperated.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I was thinking the box office for Indy 5 would plummet substantially after the first weekend but now I’m curious how dramatic that will be. . It seems that the game for them now has got to be just breaking even - particularly with the new Mission Impossible opening next week.
Intrigued by V I continued sleuth. Indy Five will need a lifetime residual to cover its production costs and return
a reasonable profit so near term xpeks were smashed all to bits. Corporate knives are out. Apparently over at Disney
feminist ideology ruled and the Indy franchise had been intended to pass from Harrison Ford to Phoebe Waller-Bridge which accounts a certain diminution of Indy/HF in Dial-noticed but given more thought afterward.
Also a rivalry poisonous (Disney studio boss witch) and spiteful betwixt Mouse and Mission Impossible star TC
adds fuel to box office flame out. All grist for belaboured grime but I enjoyed Dial immensely.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Stopped MickeyDees and overheard kids talking Dial and how interesting it was. Real box office.
For me, seeing kids get really into a beloved franchise I grew up on like Indy or Star Wars is the real magic. I remember being a kid in the theater forming a lifelong fandom for a movie franchise like that.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I just have no use for yet another Tom Cruise playing the Tom Cruise Persona picture. Irritating, because when they let him actually act, he can be quite good (I'm thinking Valkyrie here). Also, I got unreasonably annoyed by the whole making a deal out of doing all his own stunts. I'm sure it's a great ego trip for him - less so the folks who didn't earn for two weeks when he injured himself and shooting was put on hold while he recuperated.
I haven't read anything about the MI film but I doubt anyone went without pay! The negative downstream effects might be more like losing the next job because the schedule no longer wrapped at the right moment. Generally, however, everyone is ready to take a break, if they can afford it, when a big intense production wraps out.

That said, I too couldn't care less about an actor doing his own stunts. As long as the film is skillfully enough shot to disguise it. It maybe the mature TC's way of proving himself, like he did when he was young by playing opposite legends like
Newman and Hoffman. I admire it, but only occasionally does it make a better film.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It maybe the mature TC's way of proving himself, like he did when he was young by playing opposite legends like
Newman and Hoffman. I admire it, but only occasionally does it make a better film.
I've liked TC in The Colour of Money and A Few Good Men but otherwise he has the Katherine Hepburn; Dorothy Parker
dubbed, A-B acting range, and simply plays himself more or less. To each their own, of course, also to be fair I haven't
seen all his canon but what bits caught generally conform to Parker. And not to be snide, a recent YT interview for MI
screening out in the street red carpet saw him deliberately trying to play a thityish sixty-one, which gave an Oscar
grade personal public relations performance. Most real acting chops I've seen him do.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
For me, seeing kids get really into a beloved franchise I grew up on like Indy or Star Wars is the real magic. I remember being a kid in the theater forming a lifelong fandom for a movie franchise like that.
I typically join the converse if such moments permit a polite adult brief intrude. I occasionally talk the early Indy,
and throw Shakespeare in with Branagh's Henry, McKellen's Richard III. I'm sure my beard and fedora frame my adolescent inner self- especially when discussing Dr. Jones.
I do have concern over kids missing the best in literature and a franchise treasure like Indiana Jones.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw the film yesterday afternoon in an empty theater - there was just one other couple. I wasn't even sure that I wanted to see it theatrically (but finally decided I'd seen the other four in theaters the week they'd opened, so why not?) and went in with VERY low expectations... but I liked it much more than I expected to. It's a solid Indy flick.

Ford and Waller-Bridge are excellent, full stop. The stunt work and action sequences are fine. The little Easter eggs scattered throughout for the hardcore fans are cute, and the semi-surprise character returns work well. Like most big movies these days, it's a bit too long, but that's a minor quibble. I had real doubts about a non-Spielberg Indy flick, but James Mangold did fine.

Mainly, apart from the plot machinations and action sequences (some of which are implausible and comic booky, but that's always been true in this series), the film does a really excellent job with Indy's emotional arc and provides a satisfying conclusion to the saga. It's MUCH better than Crystal Skull. If you're on the fence about seeing it in a theater, I say go, you'll enjoy!

Raiders - four stars
Temple - two stars
Crusade - three stars
Skull - one star
Dial - two stars

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I liked Skull well enough myself, but I know a lot of people hated it. We all know they hated it because they never tire of telling us they hated it.... it's become quite performative by this point.

I wonder what goes on in the heads of people who make hating something their entire existence. I have an acquaintance (would prefer to not consider him a friend) who claims to hate George Lucas and all things Star Wars-related, yet rabidly consumes everything that comes out like a glutton then proceeds to remind everyone within earshot of his low opinion of the franchise.

He'll even inject a comment about his hatred randomly; if you were talking about the weather and commented about how a storm knocked out power in the neighborhood last night, you can bet he'd remark, "Yeah, that storm was almost as bad as The Last Jedi!" (usually to no one's amusement)

I take pleasure in the fact that someday he won't be able to renew his subscription to Disney+, because he's unemployed and still lives with his mother, who's supporting her son who's in his late 40's! (as cliche as it sounds, it's unfortunately true.)

Back on topic, though- I wonder if Disney will release a new boxed set of all five films. I held off on buying the four-pack of Blu-Rays because I knew there was a fifth film coming at some point. I still have the original trilogy on standard-def DVD and a Blu-Ray of Crystal Skull.

Edward

Bartender
I wonder what goes on in the heads of people who make hating something their entire existence. I have an acquaintance (would prefer to not consider him a friend) who claims to hate George Lucas and all things Star Wars-related, yet rabidly consumes everything that comes out like a glutton then proceeds to remind everyone within earshot of his low opinion of the franchise.

He'll even inject a comment about his hatred randomly; if you were talking about the weather and commented about how a storm knocked out power in the neighborhood last night, you can bet he'd remark, "Yeah, that storm was almost as bad as The Last Jedi!" (usually to no one's amusement)

I take pleasure in the fact that someday he won't be able to renew his subscription to Disney+, because he's unemployed and still lives with his mother, who's supporting her son who's in his late 40's! (as cliche as it sounds, it's unfortunately true.)

Back on topic, though- I wonder if Disney will release a new boxed set of all five films. I held off on buying the four-pack of Blu-Rays because I knew there was a fifth film coming at some point. I still have the original trilogy on standard-def DVD and a Blu-Ray of Crystal Skull.

I've bordered on fan-hate myself at times with various things, though not usually that far for that long. Years ago one of the big names in RHPS fandom wrote an essay on the Five Phases of Rocky Horror Fandom; Phase Five was very much burnout, love turns to hate. Peopel can go back and forth between phases... It was a very astutely observed this, very much applicable to any fandom. I wish I had a copy, it was probably the best commentary on fandom outside of Galaxy Quest.

As to disk releases, I hope so. Disney can be funny about that sort of thing - I remember how controlling they were last time I looked re releases of their own stuff, things only available for limited periods years apart and the rest of it. I hope they don't go for the pure-streaming model. There are people in the music industry for whom that is the dream, streaming + total death of physical media. I can't think of anything worse for music or film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo