Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info request on old evening dresses and fur coats

bailout

New in Town
Hi, As a male I feel a bit nervous making my first post in this part of the forum :scared: but I am looking for some advice on some of my Mother's old clothes. They have not been worn for decades and she doesn't want to just throw them out if they still have some value. I don't know whether they are all in the age range people here are interested in but hopefully you will be able to give some idea of where else to go if not here.

Firstly there are 2 evening dresses she bought probably in the mid to late 50s. They are both made by Frank Usher, patterned silk, boned bodice with hooped underskirt. One is full length and the other is short. They are both in good used condition. Obviously dresses like this never got a lot of use but they have just been stored folded in plastic bags for years so they are a bit musty and hence would need a clean.

The other items are a fur stole and a full length fur coat. I am not sure what sort of fur but they both look the same. The coat is probably from about the same time but the stole maybe earlier as it was my Grandmother's. With the current opinions on fur I don't know whether there is any market for these.

What I am looking for is whether there is likely to be any demand for these, if so what sort of price I should be able to get for her and what the best way of selling them is likely to be, I am guessing ebay?

Any help or help appreciated.

thanks

The photos aren't great but hopefully will give an idea. The long dress is definitely light gold rather than yellow and both dresses have just been taken out of bags and hence aren't looking their best.The red dress has a row of decorative buttons down the front which are difficult to see on the photo.

reddressedit.jpg

golddressedit.jpg

stoleedit.jpg

furcoatedit.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hello and welcome.

I work in a vintage clothes shop in East Sussex, we don't charge London prices i don't think, although i could stand corrected.

The dresses are beautiful, i love the tulip shaped skirt on the golden dress and the red dress is to die for. We sold a similar brocade evening gown with a tulip skirt for about £150 pounds the other week. Although the shop next door also had a similar dress which they sold for £200. It was in v.good condition with no holes, rips or tears. The red dress we would put about £80 - £100+ on maybe more depending on condition. Frank Usher was and is synonomous with quality evening wear. Please bear in mind i'm just giving you ballpark figures on your pieces as i'm just looking at your pics. The 50's mink stoles we usually put between £50 -£120 on depending again on quality of the pelt and condition etc. The coat is a corker and again depending on condition we would have a crack at min £150. Although i have seen them go for way more in other shops and online.

We try to be fair when we buy and offer a third to half of the retail price, which is what you should be aiming for perhaps, bearing in mind dealers may have overheads etc. Other dealers perhaps would not be so generous. Perhaps you get them appraised at a local vintage store near you or your local auction house. By all means look on ebay for an idea of prices. We are certainly happy to look at items and give a sensible valuation on things for people as well as buying, but then we are passionate about vintage and wouldn't be trying to necessarily to rip customers off, for me it's just a pleasure to be able to look at beautiful things all day as far as i'm concerned.

I hope this has been some help, and once again welcome!!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to date them.

That thread isn't just for dating items, its about all kinds of clothing details. You should read through it, someone might have owned something similar.

I agree with Rue, your mother does have beautiful taste!

bailout

New in Town
Miss Sofia, Many thanks for taking the time to post that, it was very helpful. Interesting that you picked up on the tulip shape. My mother had written that on her description but I hadn't mentioned it in my post.

The photos don't really show them at the best, esp the fabric. The pattern on the gold one is roses embroidered in white and black thread. The dot pattern on the red one is printed on but the fabric has a swirling texture pattern woven into the fabric which doesn't show on the photo at all. I don't know where people would wear this sort of dress now but I would have thought the red one was probably more sellable as it looks to me to have a more contemporary look. The red one I could see as a party/prom dress though.

Good to hear that is a market still for the furs. I had wondered if the anti fur movement meant that people just wouldn't want them anymore. What sort of people buy them now and where would they wear them?

Unfortunately being deepest darkest North Devon I haven't managed to find a local dealer such as your shop. I suppose there just isn't the market in this part of the world. I did find one in Exeter on the internet but it sounds more aimed at the student and fancydress markets. I don't suppose you know of any dealers in this part of the world that would deal in this type of stuff? I may ask at one of the local antique shops to see if they know of anyone.

thanks

Kishtu

Practically Family
Hi Bailout, we're slightly further down the world from you in Cornwall.... I know they have had vintage fairs in Exeter which were held at the university but not really specifically aimed at the student market. Last time I went with a fellow Lounger a lot of the things they were selling there were way out of the casual student pocket range, and none the worse for it ;-)

Asking at the university if they have any contact details of the dealers might be worth a punt?
Failing that, they have quite a few vintage fairs in Falmouth, but that might be a bit far...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss Sofia, Many thanks for taking the time to post that, it was very helpful. Interesting that you picked up on the tulip shape. My mother had written that on her description but I hadn't mentioned it in my post.

The photos don't really show them at the best, esp the fabric. The pattern on the gold one is roses embroidered in white and black thread. The dot pattern on the red one is printed on but the fabric has a swirling texture pattern woven into the fabric which doesn't show on the photo at all. I don't know where people would wear this sort of dress now but I would have thought the red one was probably more sellable as it looks to me to have a more contemporary look. The red one I could see as a party/prom dress though.

Good to hear that is a market still for the furs. I had wondered if the anti fur movement meant that people just wouldn't want them anymore. What sort of people buy them now and where would they wear them?

Unfortunately being deepest darkest North Devon I haven't managed to find a local dealer such as your shop. I suppose there just isn't the market in this part of the world. I did find one in Exeter on the internet but it sounds more aimed at the student and fancydress markets. I don't suppose you know of any dealers in this part of the world that would deal in this type of stuff? I may ask at one of the local antique shops to see if they know of anyone.

thanks

Hey there,

Thanks for your kind comments. I have eagle eyes when it comes to pretty dresses!

Vintage fur has made a bit of a comeback recently, i have noticed lots of 'normal' folk aside from us vintage lovers buying the stuff reccently, in fact i sold a long fur stole today to a lady who was not into vintage at all but just wanted a nice, warm wrap to wear with her winter coat. I think there are lots of factors as to why it has become more popular again, sadly i think the fact alot of these high fashion folk seem to be appearing in it on covers of gloosy magazines and lots of designers are using fur again is one reason. Also vintage has become more mainstream i guess in the last few years too. Not to mention the eco friendly, recycling aspect as well.

Anyhow i have a good friend who used to run a vintage shop in Truro for many years. I will ask her for you as i know she used to travel all over on her quest for pretties. I think the other loungers have giiven you some great advice which will be worth following up.

Drappa

One Too Many
Could could also try and send a pm to MissHannah perhaps, as far as I know she is originally from Exeter and probably knows the best places to try,

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I cannot speak to value as I'm in the US and also an awful cheapskate (I rarely pay more than $10 for vintage), but I just wanted to say that your mother has amazing taste. Those dresses are lovely!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars

Women do wear fur where I live (Ottawa) because it gets really freaking cold in the winter. Not just for dressup, but daily wear in the coldest months.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Miss Sofia, if you wouldn't mind sharing any info your friend passes on here - I live in Truro and I really struggle to find anything vintage there these days.

The old St Julia's Hospice charity shop used to turn up some lovely things and the Oxfam shop on Bridge Street has a vintage rail but it's mostly 70s and 80s "fancy dress" these days :(
Knowing of anywhere to wear same down here would be nice, too. *sigh*

Kishtu

Practically Family
I take it she doesn't live down here any more, then.

(But then again, who does...)

Would I be right in guessing said vintage shop moved a couple of years ago from one side of town to the other - or did we have more than one??!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
She did antiques and clothes but moved about six years ago i believe, it may have been longer than that. Her son lives in Truro still, so she visits alot and still has her hand in down there going to auctions and such as she has a shop round here now, so if anyone knows she will.

I think though local auctions are worth checking out, they do sometimes have clothing and accessories. I always forget to check my local auction and then get told there was a rail of pretties that went cheap!! Also ask in your local antiques or junk shops as people bring in all manner of things to sell, or sometimes dealers do house clearances or might at least be able to put you in touch with someone.

bailout

New in Town
Thanks for the further replies.

nicholasb, that was the shop I found on the web and thought it looked to be more aimed at the student/fancy dress market. I may be going to Exeter next week so I will have a look in there.

Miss sofia, please let me know if your friend has any suggestions.

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24