Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
five years:
Tenor.jpg

Blackjack

One Too Many
$ally said:
I haven't done this in ages, so any advice about saving money on gasoline when driving, or tips on air travel are welcome.

Travel by train. All "real" musicians travel by train (haha, well back in the 30's and 40's) But doesn't it sound romantic? You could also buy a VW Mini bus with flowers painted on it...
So what kind of band should we be on the lookout for???

pgoat

One Too Many
scotrace said:
But I hate to force something that should be a joy.

don't do it.

If she is meant to play it will grab her at some point. I know it sounds corny. I would try to keep her exposed to music and especially msuicians. Having a mentor at any age is really powerful. If she goes for it, great, if not I'd say back off and try again later.

pgoat

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
I'm looking into getting my first electric guitar as soon as I make up my mind, any suggestions for a beginner?

I was looking at the Standard Telecaster, or a standard Epiphone Les Paul, but I'm not sure what I want, really.

I'm going to be playing your standard rock(Queen, etc), some funk, and some newer alternative/punk on it, so I need something pretty versatile, if that helps narrow my selection a bit.

I'd say a tele or strat that has a Humbucker at the bridge that you can split coils on. Fender makes tons of variations these days. You can also upgrade the cheap fenders with better hardware and electronics quite easily. The Epiphone is an okay choice for beginners.

pgoat

One Too Many
I guess I'm a mercenary guitarist. Friends start bands, need extra noise on top and call me. Never was too successful although I made a little dough here and there. I've been way too passive on this the last few years ...just got together to jam for the first time in months/years/wahtever and was surprised i still remembered how to hold the darn thing much less play it....

My most important piece of equipment these days is a 50 cent pair of foam ear plugs (electric guitar = tinnitus):whistling

CharlesB

Suspended
pgoat said:
I guess I'm a mercenary guitarist. Friends start bands, need extra noise on top and call me. Never was too successful although I made a little dough here and there. I've been way too passive on this the last few years ...just got together to jam for the first time in months/years/wahtever and was surprised i still remembered how to hold the darn thing much less play it....

My most important piece of equipment these days is a 50 cent pair of foam ear plugs (electric guitar = tinnitus):whistling
Im the same way. Freinds need something I do what I do...

ContinentalOp

New in Town
I went to a music school and my principal instrument was guitar. I play mostly electric blues on my Strats, though I'll dabble with a little jazz once in a while. I'm mostly a melody/lead player, never really developed good rhythm guitar chops, though I can do simple stuff. I studied classical for a while, but I didn't stick with it. Wish I had. I have quite a full plate (platter?) nowadays, so I don't get to play anywhere near as much as I'd like to.

I also played piano, but it's been a few years since I've played. I'd like to start again, but I don't have the money to get a decent keyboard (I'm picky about the feel of the keys).

I can read music, but I can't sight-read. I had a teacher once who played piano, and could actually sight-read and transpose as he played, i.e., he could read the sheet music in Ab and play it in D. Amazing.

I fooled around with the harmonica a little bit, but I never really learned to play songs. I can bend notes and get a half-way decent blues sound, though.

I always wanted to play the drums. Never really thought I had the coordination to do that, though. Same reason I never got into playing the pedal steel. I tried it once, and the coordination required was overwhelming to me.

I love the sound of cello, and would've liked to take lessons. Maybe someday.

FYI, I didn't start playing until I was 21. I know Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders didn't start playing music until she was 21, if I remember correctly. Same for Wes Montgomery, one of the legends of jazz guitar.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Music is my life

I have played the piano since I could reach it, but mom says I actually started picking out nursery rhymes on a metal xylophone at 6 months! My earliest memory is playing piano with both hands, "My Country Tis Of Thee on the day JFK was shot (I was 3.5). I stayed with the piano, albeit without lessons, until I was 11, and then added the guitar, started writing songs. Went seriously back to piano at 28, and started learning vintage jazz. The clothes got me into it!
So now, I play the piano, lead the band (oh, I sing too) and my day job is at a music school, where I plan to learn the vibraphone and the Hammond B-3 organ (after all, there they are, I may as well).

Interested parties can hear me at:
http://www.myspace.com/saraswingtime

and can check out the Jazzschool at:
http://www.jazzschool.com

Flivver

Practically Family
I play the Victrola, the Grafonola and the Panatrope.

But, seriously, my parents wanted me to learn how to play an instrument when I was a kid, but I steadfastly refused.

Now I wish I had at least tried!

Edward

Bartender
Qhen I was much younger, I played piano for a few years. Alas, I didn't stick with it - never had the patience to practice as back when I was doing it I wasn't into any music where the piano featured. No motivation. I love guitar (I have about 13 of the things now). I'm rubbish with it, but I've had a lot of fun out of it in the last 16 years. I'd love to play in a rockabilly-leaning psychobilly band, but I'm in no way good enough! I play bass, too, mostly leaning in a rhythm direction, nothing too fancy. Have a banjo, not quite gotten the hang of it yet.... planning to buy a tenor Uke soon too. I really want to take up the tenor sax. I'd love to be able to play a bit of drums as well. Sax and fiddle are more likely to happen, though.

$ally

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
LOTS!!!!!!!! make sure you have really good flight cases if you want to see your gear in one piece. I've heard some real horror stories over the years
Oooh, do tell, I love a scary gig story. I've heard some interesting Americians traveling through Europe tales lately!
Blackjack said:
Travel by train. All "real" musicians travel by train (haha, well back in the 30's and 40's) But doesn't it sound romantic? You could also buy a VW Mini bus with flowers painted on it...So what kind of band should we be on the lookout for???
International by ship then? I'll pass on the mystery machine, however. We're doing our own unique new and different sound, but highly influenced by string swing past.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i've sung most of my life. not so much lately (except karaoke) but i'd love to get back into it!

i played flute for several years as a teenager.

right now i'm mastering the recorder. :rolleyes: i'm in school to be an elementary teacher and my music class requires it. there's nothing more humorous than a classful of 40 adults trying to play the recorder!

zaika

One Too Many
i'm the black sheep of my very musical family (mom: piano, organ, violin, guitar, trumpet, vocals, composition. dad: pretty much everything, but he sticks to synthesized new age stuff. step-dad: guitar, bass guitar. brother: piano, guitar, bass (guitar and upright), drums, trombone. grandma: drums. other grandma: accordian. grandpa: accordian.) in that currently i don't play anything.

i did, however, grow up playing the piano...or rather, being forced to play. eventually i learned to like it and now i wish very much to have a piano again. i was never any good...playing in public (meaning, in front of anyone...even one person) was ALWAYS a disaster. but i loved doing it, anyway.

during my 'tween years i played the flute and then switched to the saxaphone after my step dad inherited his father's nickle plated saxaphone. interesting story...but my step dad's father played that very saxophone in a swing band with his buddy Peanuts Hucko...who played in the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band during the war, and then afterwards with Benny Goodman, Ray McKinley, and Jack Teegarden. and also with my personal favorite, Lawrence Welk. :D i was always so proud to have inherited that instrument even though my peers had no clue who glenn miller was...much less benny goodman...or even lawrence welk!

i stuck with the sax for awhile, took jazz lessons. i wasn't in band in high school, but i played the sax during those years on my own. then i gave it up to go abroad, never to return to it. although now...i'd love to come back to it...

now i sing and play around on the tin whistle. nothing special.

HoneyBee

New in Town
Anyone here play the ukulele? I received one for my birthday (that's it in my icon) and have been trying to teach myself - so far I've gotten through "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys but that's it!

I also play some electric guitar and bass but I'm way out of practice.

pgoat

One Too Many
so with all these musicians here....

....we need to have a jam if there's a next get-together.....

It'd be like the Casa Loma Orchestra or so....but more interesting!:D (Bagpipes, spoons, electric guitar and bass, etc etc etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael