Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internal problems from trouser/belt?

VisforVictory

New in Town
Gentlemen -

There have been a few times in the course of my daily suit-wearing when I've experienced a bit of lower-back pain, generally directly at the point where the belt cinches on high-waist trousers. Last week, however, I noticed a pinpoint, coming-and-going pain on my side, again directly under the belt cinch point and, I believe, almost exactly where an inside-waistband suspender button rested. This persisted for a few days, but has now migrated to a general abdominal issue, causing me a great deal of discomfort. I've taken a few days of rest, but it's still problematic. I seldom go to doctors, but I've made an appointment with a GI doc this morning.

I've read horror stories about super-tight belts and skinny jeans, but wondering if anyone else has experienced any sort of damage like this from simply wearing high-waisted suit trousers?

I hope that it's just your belt's too tight and nothing more serious. There's some pretty important organs in that area. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Possibly a development of myofascial trigger points. Most medical doctors do not have this on their radar and have no clue how to check for trigger points and how to treat them (this is pretty much valid for physiotherapists and osteopaths, too). This often leads to medical odysseys that can include unnecessary pain medication, operations and maltreatments and can last for decades. Your best option is to find a physio with training and experience in trigger point treatment and have this checked. If it is due to trigger points it is an easy fix as the problem is fairly recent. Or get Clair Davies' "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" and learn to check and treat yourself. It's not rocket science.

VisforVictory

New in Town
Thanks for the replies; just an update -- I went to two doctors, neither of whom believed anything was wrong internally, and both of whom agreed that the problem started from a pinch-point from a combination of the trouser waist/suspender button/belt in the wrong place. It's been getting better, after it got worse. Essentially, it felt like all the muscles in my stomach and left side were cramping up, which, in turn, put pressure on everything else. I was afraid I'd be required to give up my suits, but I've been wearing those that have a little more room this past week, and have been fine. A cautionary tale, though!

dnjan

One Too Many
I was afraid I'd be required to give up my suits, but I've been wearing those that have a little more room this past week, and have been fine. A cautionary tale, though!

How about giving up the belt? Wouldn't suspenders instead of a belt significantly reduce the pressure from the buttons?

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like a looser waistband is the solution? A size up with a belt less tightly fastened, or braces instead, seems like a good option.

VisforVictory

New in Town
Braces, for some reason, do a bad number on my back and shoulders. I've given them millions of chances over the years, and start out fine, but end up feeling worse than I do with belts by the time the day is over.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I guess I was right with my assessment re trigger points. Have your traps and levator scapulae checked as well. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy