Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Internment in Switzerland.

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Thank you Major!!!

So guess where I am from: DAVOS!!! Yes indeed. If you are interested in any more specific info on this topic, I'll get it for you. I am so happy that my hometown is for once mentioned under a topic other than the World Economic Forum. :eusa_clap

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
What an interesting site. I had no idea that there were camps in Switzerland. And the fact that the men could roam around the town and play tricks on the Germans is just mind-boggling.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My grandfather, a French army officer, was captured by the Germans in 1940. He was shipped to Germany and spent two years in Stalag 9A. Conditions were not good. Prisoners kept alive by finding vermin (and frozen dogs) and eating them.

My grandfather finally escaped the stalag by switching places with a corpse in the infirmary. Placed in a wooden box which was loaded onto a truck, he broke out of the box while in transit, jumped off of the truck and into the woods. A whiz at languages, grandpa had learned German in the camp and used it with farmers, who sheltered him in exchange for his labor.

Moving from farm to forest to farm, he eventually made it to Vichy France, whose people were far more eager to betray him to the authorities. (It didn't help that grandpa's last name, Leitner, was perceived by them as "Jewish-sounding".) Somehow, he survived Vichy and got to Paris, where he was united with my grandma and my infant mom.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
(It didn't help that grandpa's last name, Leitner, was perceived by them as "Jewish-sounding".)

Absurdly, as he wasn't, I guess chances are he was from an Alsatian family. But that wouldn't have helped him much either, because he'd be seen as a betrayer of "his" people.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Actually, the name comes from his Austrian father's family. As far as I know, they weren't Jewish ... although plenty of upwardly mobile Jews in the Austro-Hungarian empire converted to christianity. (See the beautiful movie Sunshine for this story.)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You are very welcome.

Alpine Glamour said:
So guess where I am from: DAVOS!!! Yes indeed. If you are interested in any more specific info on this topic, I'll get it for you. I am so happy that my hometown is for once mentioned under a topic other than the World Economic Forum. :eusa_clap

:) Glad I could be of service.
If you have any photos or stories from your home town about this subject, please post them here. First hand stories as told by the people that were actually there are I think, the most fascinating.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Moving from farm to forest to farm, he eventually made it to Vichy France, whose people were far more eager to betray him to the authorities. (It didn't help that grandpa's last name, Leitner, was perceived by them as "Jewish-sounding".) Somehow, he survived Vichy and got to Paris, where he was united with my grandma and my infant mom.
So Chevalier is your father's name. You're French on both sides?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
A great story.

Marc Chevalier said:
My grandfather, a French army officer, was captured by the Germans in 1940. He was shipped to Germany and spent two years in Stalag 9A. Conditions were not good. Prisoners kept alive by finding vermin (and frozen dogs) and eating them.

My grandfather finally escaped the stalag by switching places with a corpse in the infirmary. Placed in a wooden box which was loaded onto a truck, he broke out of the box while in transit, jumped off of the truck and into the woods. A whiz at languages, grandpa had learned German in the camp and used it with farmers, who sheltered him in exchange for his labor.

Would make a great movie!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
MelissaAnne said:
What an interesting site. I had no idea that there were camps in Switzerland. And the fact that the men could roam around the town and play tricks on the Germans is just mind-boggling.

The fact that a handful that were clasified as escapees could pretty much travel freely around the country, like this veteran, is really mind boggling to me!

http://www.91stbombgroup.com/artfoster.html

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lincsong said:
So Chevalier is your father's name. You're French on both sides?
No, the "Chevalier" name comes courtesy of my dad's ancestors, who emigrated from Switzerland to Illinois and Iowa in the early 1850s. These Swiss ancestors emigrated from France to Switzerland in 1572.

My French mom's maiden name is Leitner, courtesy of her Austrian grandfather.

Confusing, I know.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
No, the "Chevalier" name comes courtesy of my dad's ancestors, who emigrated from Switzerland to Illinois and Iowa in the early 1850s. These Swiss ancestors emigrated from France to Switzerland in 1572.

My French mom's maiden name is Leitner, courtesy of her Austrian grandfather.

Confusing, I know.
So is it pronounced; Che-val-e-lay as in Maurice?
or Cheva-leer as in Chevrolet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80