Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRISH forum members

Alexi

One of the Regulars
No Irish and proud of it!

My wife however, 3 out of 4 grandparents are from Roscommon.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Maguire said:
And you are located in Boston? How did that happen.

Yankee's pre-date the paddys (paddies?), funny enough My great grandfather excluded my grandfather from his will for marrying a Catholic. The Brahmin-Irish divide was alive and well up till at least the 60's. Now when my mother married someone of Black and Native American decent you'd think there would be an even bigger uproar, but apparently the catholic thing was worse.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Alexi said:
Yankee's pre-date the paddys (paddies?), funny enough My great grandfather excluded my grandfather from his will for marrying a Catholic. The Brahmin-Irish divide was alive and well up till at least the 60's. Now when my mother married someone of Black and Native American decent you'd think there would be an even bigger uproar, but apparently the catholic thing was worse.

You have to draw the line somewhere brother:D :D :eek: ...my (Presbyterian) wife had a grandmother for whom the only unforgivable sin was marrying a Catholic...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since Debrett's, the British etiquette experts, has sent down from on high their pronouncement on proper Halloween etiquette for the Brits, and knowing the celebrations goes back to the ancient Celts, and with the commercialized, Americanized celebration a mere three days off, how about a little inside view from where it all started (Ireland) about how it's celebrated there?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What about...

The fella from Belfast who was a disc jockey and had his drink spiked and his records/music stolen, then woke up dressed in a white crime scene overalls...? (strange how I remember 'that' one!). Haven't seen him around for a wee while.

Also some girls from the south of Ireland who are members.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
how about a little inside view from where it all started (Ireland) about how it's celebrated there?..

The Irish weren't the only Celts. What's come to be known as 'Celtic' culture stretched all the way from Scotland down to Spain and across to Switzerland, taking in most of the British Isles, including England, and most of what's now known as Europe.

Samhain (pronounced 'Saven', if you like) may be an Irish, and even Scots, word. But in all likelihood something akin to it existed elsewhere in the ancient world.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

Paddy, I'm one of these newbie southern girls to which you refer, a la Dublin. I've been visiting the lounge for a good while but was reluctant to sign-up to yet another form/blog/site/social network, but I relented and took the plunge. Now I have a gazillion sign-ins, but I must say its worth it, everyone is so nice and helpful on this form, I guess its the shared interest factor, so nice to speak to like minded folk. Still getting used to all the little cocktail symbols and what not though.

Is is sacrilege to say its not the most user-friendly platform/interface or is it just a standard VBulletin framework?

Is there talk of a Dublin meet?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I've resigned myself that I'm not getting it done.... I've done one paragraph (!) Can't make sense of how this relates to my venture.... :(

Sorry folks for talking in riddles - Betty understands me lol

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Phhhhew! Ah well, pressing issues need to be addressed in the lounge, which of course will inform our ventures. Its research! I'll tell him my typewriter broke - ha!

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
The fella from Belfast who was a disc jockey and had his drink spiked and his records/music stolen, then woke up dressed in a white crime scene overalls...? (strange how I remember 'that' one!). Haven't seen him around for a wee while.

If memory serves, he went by the handle 'Dragon Soldier'... was just wondering recelty whether he's still about, actually.

As to meet-ups, I'll be back in the old country myself for ten days over Christmas, and would certainly be up for a meet-up either in Belfast, or (given the cost of hotels etc in that period) something during the day in Dublin. I fly back to Blighty late on the 30th; a day trip on the train to Dub on 28th or so would be appealing....

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I don’t think that I have any Irish blood, though I do have some English (so maybe there’s some Irish if I dig deep enough). However, I have a deep appreciation for Irish culture (the good parts anyway). The Dubliners are on my all-time list of badass bands. Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew were truly two of the all-time great performers in any genre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy